PLEASE HELP: Is the Max Maintenance Liam enough? Watch

RaisHussain
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone , I recently finished A Levels and I’m getting the max maintenance loan (£8,944) for Uni. The accommodation I am going to live in is £97 a week. Will this be enough to cope?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I also obviously have to pay for everyday living costs
KayKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Count yourself lucky. I should be getting the max amount because my household earns under 25,000 but I’m getting roughly 4,000. That’s not even enough for my accommodation alone.
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Omfg???
(Original post by KayKarma)
Count yourself lucky. I should be getting the max amount because my household earns under 25,000 but I’m getting roughly 4,000. That’s not even enough for my accommodation alone.
OMFG???? This is making me doubt that I will actually get the max now, I thought it was guaranteed you’d get the max if u earn under £25,000!!!!
Jewelzela
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Once you've applied to Student Finance they'll tell you how much you're getting. Whether this will be enough depends on where you're going and your general lifestyle. If you only eat take out and go out drinking 4+ times a week, then even the max loan amount won't be enough. But if you mostly cook for yourself, and don't spend loads of (excess) money on clothes, drinking, and other luxuries there's no reason it won't work out. I got minimum loan amount in my first year (£3,800), and my parents gave me £100 a month on top of that, and I survived with just that and the £1000 I'd earnt from working the summer before uni
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thats what I thought. But now we’re going to have to dig into our savings just to pay for accommodation- then later on we obviously have to pay for food, petrol, clothes,books. It’s irritating. Also, when we first sent off the student finance supporting documents in April, someone at student finance did not accept my letter. Without informing me, then I had to do the process again! And my letter got accepted in like June.. less likely to get the full amount
(Original post by RaisHussain)
Omfg???

OMFG???? This is making me doubt that I will actually get the max now, I thought it was guaranteed you’d get the max if u earn under £25,000!!!!
Last edited by KayKarma; 5 days ago
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
Thats what I thought. But my mum said that someone told her that they have the ability to check your parents savings account?? I don’t know if that’s true or not. But at the end of the day my parents savings account doesn’t have anything to do with university. But now we’re going to have to dig into our savings just to pay for accommodation- not food, not petrol, not clothes, not books. It’s irritating
Wow that’s unlucky. Could the reason be that you live with both your parents? I only live with my mum and we don’t have a savings account
Jewelzela
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's because they check savings; the idea being it doesn't matter what you have coming in regularly, if you have money in savings you have enough money to pay for university. The max maintenance loan is aimed at families who basically live a low income existance, without the fall back of savings, to enable students who otherwise wouldn't consider university to be able to do so
Wow that’s unlucky. Could the reason be that you live with both your parents? I only live with my mum and we don’t have a savings account
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jewelzela)
Once you've applied to Student Finance they'll tell you how much you're getting. Whether this will be enough depends on where you're going and your general lifestyle. If you only eat take out and go out drinking 4+ times a week, then even the max loan amount won't be enough. But if you mostly cook for yourself, and don't spend loads of (excess) money on clothes, drinking, and other luxuries there's no reason it won't work out. I got minimum loan amount in my first year (£3,800), and my parents gave me £100 a month on top of that, and I survived with just that and the £1000 I'd earnt from working the summer before uni
Most the time I’ll be at my mums house even though I’m living in accommodation so I wouldn’t spend a lot on food. I have a job too so whatever I make from work I’ll probably spend on clothes etc. Do you think I’ll have a lot of money spare from the loan because of all of this?
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I only live with my mum.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Has your application actually been assessed yet? That's the minimum everyone is initially given until their assessed portion is.. well.. assessed..
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
I only live with my mum.
Could be due to the savings account, even though it’s ridiculous they used that as an excuse to not give u the max
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Even if it’s not the savings, I don’t know what it could be. My mum works part time!!! I’m getting the same amount as my best friend.. he lives with both of his parents and they do full time!!
Could be due to the savings account, even though it’s ridiculous they used that as an excuse to not give u the max
RaisHussain
Rep:
?
Even if it’s not the savings, I don’t know what it could be. My mum works part time!!! I’m getting the same amount as my best friend.. he lives with both of his parents and they do full time!!
Why not call them and ask haha? And read that Tom guys reply to you
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah I checked the website, it says “payment scheduled” and is in green. They’ve already given me the dates on when they’re going to give me money

(Original post by IWMTom)
Has your application actually been assessed yet? That's the minimum everyone is initially given until their assessed portion is.. well.. assessed..
Last edited by KayKarma; 5 days ago
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’ve had so many calls with them hahaha, it’s been a messy process all they’ve done is lose my ****
Why not call them and ask haha? And read that Tom guys reply to you
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah I checked the website, it says “payment scheduled” and is in green. They’ve already given me the dates on when they’re going to give me money
That doesn't mean it's been assessed, it just means you have the base payments in place.

Once they assess your household income, you'll receive a new entitlement summary.

It can take up to the beginning of the semester for the process to complete - the later you apply, the later your application is assessed.
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
But they have already assessed the household income???
(Original post by IWMTom)
That doesn't mean it's been assessed, it just means you have the base payments in place.

Once they assess your household income, you'll receive a new entitlement summary.

It can take up to the beginning of the semester for the process to complete - the later you apply, the later your application is assessed.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
But they have already assessed the household income???
Says who?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Easily survive
8944 over about 9 months (assuming you don't pay for accomodation or anything over summer(you can work anyway)
is about 1000 a month- 400 goes to accomodation
That leaves you with 600 a month- I only spend an extra 200 a month. You have a lotttttt of money spare
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads