The Student Room Group

UCAS Clearing

So I really underperformed in my IB exams and I tried calling places but they only base it of entry requirements. I feel like at this time, it's early clearing so they only accept students who've made the entry requirements but later on during the real "clearing" time in mid-August when the A-level results come out, will universities be more lenient with entry requirements? Like if there are to have more vacancies, could top Russell Universities just fill out vacancies regardless of any grades?

For now, I'm looking at a course in Sheffield University and I am two points low(if I get my exams remarked then one), do you reckon they may offer me a place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NMJerry
So I really underperformed in my IB exams and I tried calling places but they only base it of entry requirements. I feel like at this time, it's early clearing so they only accept students who've made the entry requirements but later on during the real "clearing" time in mid-August when the A-level results come out, will universities be more lenient with entry requirements? Like if there are to have more vacancies, could top Russell Universities just fill out vacancies regardless of any grades?

For now, I'm looking at a course in Sheffield University and I am two points low(if I get my exams remarked then one), do you reckon they may offer me a place?

It's possible that entry requirements will change as Clearing progresses, however universities may only choose to lower their requirements by a small amount in order to ensure that the people they admit onto the course are able to cope with the academic demands placed on them. It's therefore very unlikely that Russell group (or any higher tier universities) will lower their entry requirements vastly.

Have you contacted Sheffield directly? You would really need to give them a call to plead your case.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It's possible that entry requirements will change as Clearing progresses, however universities may only choose to lower their requirements by a small amount in order to ensure that the people they admit onto the course are able to cope with the academic demands placed on them. It's therefore very unlikely that Russell group (or any higher tier universities) will lower their entry requirements vastly.

Have you contacted Sheffield directly? You would really need to give them a call to plead your case.

Right, well I did contact Sheffield and here is what they said.
Well, they want to fill out a clearing inquiry form like some other universities I was looking at. I thought clearing was only meant to be phone lines and not an online form. So obviously if I had just put in my raw grades no matter the difference between the entry requirement I would automatically get a no because I had not reached the requirements so I was wondering if I can just talk to the admissions team and as you said: "plead my case".

And the other thing I've wanted to ask was:
- Is this time period the real "clearing" process? Because doesn't that happen in mid-August when A-level results come out? I'd consider this early clearing when IB results come out a month before A-levels.

- And apologies if I may be a bit too particular but when you mean a "small amount" are we talking 1-2 points max?
This period is definitely 'real' Clearing in the same way that the later August period will be. Many Uni's will use an online form to handle initial enquiries as their Clearing hotlines won't open until around A Level results time. The temporary staff simply aren't there yet. You'll note that many current Clearing requirements are the same and do not seem to be lowered, that's because Uni's will still be trying to attract academically strong candidates at this stage.

Obviously you can wait until A Level results come out, but there's no guarantee that the course you want will be there, or that the entry requirements will be lowered then either.
Original post by NMJerry
Right, well I did contact Sheffield and here is what they said.
Well, they want to fill out a clearing inquiry form like some other universities I was looking at. I thought clearing was only meant to be phone lines and not an online form. So obviously if I had just put in my raw grades no matter the difference between the entry requirement I would automatically get a no because I had not reached the requirements so I was wondering if I can just talk to the admissions team and as you said: "plead my case".

And the other thing I've wanted to ask was:
- Is this time period the real "clearing" process? Because doesn't that happen in mid-August when A-level results come out? I'd consider this early clearing when IB results come out a month before A-levels.

- And apologies if I may be a bit too particular but when you mean a "small amount" are we talking 1-2 points max?

Regardless of who you talk to, you will need to provide them with your grades. Universities are able to use their discretion without speaking to you - often it is more helpful to them to be able to see your marks in front of them.

Yes - Clearing begins on 5th July. Vacancies will come and go during Clearing but if there is something you are interested in and you have your results then you would be silly not to apply at this stage.

There is no set amount by which a university will lower their grade requirements. They will have their own internal policy on how much (if any) they will relax their requirements, which will depend on the quantity and quality of applicants in each UCAS cycle - something which we simply won't know.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Regardless of who you talk to, you will need to provide them with your grades. Universities are able to use their discretion without speaking to you - often it is more helpful to them to be able to see your marks in front of them.

Yes - Clearing begins on 5th July. Vacancies will come and go during Clearing but if there is something you are interested in and you have your results then you would be silly not to apply at this stage.

There is no set amount by which a university will lower their grade requirements. They will have their own internal policy on how much (if any) they will relax their requirements, which will depend on the quantity and quality of applicants in each UCAS cycle - something which we simply won't know.

Alright, well I would like your opinion on this: Do you believe that universities will not lower their entry requirements "currently" because they expect higher academically achieved students? Would it be sensible for universities to lower their requirements after A-Level results day? I could call anywhere but honestly with my grades at this moment I would feel as if there is no point in calling. I will do eventually, but I feel as if it not right moment now.
Reply 6
Hi, @NMJerry! My son also was in IB and received his results last week and he was much lower than expected. So Monday he started calling Unis and he got 3 offers. From Uni of Leicester, Sussex and Queen Mary. Sheffield was one of the Unis he called and they said no. So did Liverpool, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Kent did not reply at all to his online request.

I think you need to keep calling and by all means, fill out those forms. Eventually you will need to send those marks anyway.

One more thing. Before calling Unis, try to contact your 2 Unis firm/insurance. My son emailed them first and then called them to make sure they had seen his message, and it worked! His insurance choice -University of Leeds- decided to accept him.
Please don't give up trying! I'm sure you will find something good. 🤞🤞🤞
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by EleaGR
Hi, @NMJerry! My son also was in IB and received his results last week and he was much lower than expected. So Monday he started calling Unis and he got 3 offers. From Uni of Leicester, Sussex and Queen Mary. Sheffield was one of the Unis he called and they said no. So did Liverpool, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Kent did not reply at all to his online request.

I think you need to keep calling and by all means, fill out those forms. Eventually you will need to send those marks anyway.

One more thing. Before calling Unis, try to contact your 2 Unis firm/insurance. My son emailed them first and then called them to make sure they had seen his message, and it worked! His insurance choice -University of Leeds- decided to accept him.
Please don't give up trying! I'm sure you will find something good. 🤞🤞🤞

Right, well I was wondering did he have to meet all those entry requirements or was he one/two points short such as Leeds? Because I can contact Sheffield and I am two points(well if I remark then one point short) so could I call them?
(edited 4 years ago)
If a university is asking you to fill in their online form then you should do that. Don’t assume that they’ll reject you based on your grades being slightly below their standard requirements. Fill in the form!
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
If a university is asking you to fill in their online form then you should do that. Don’t assume that they’ll reject you based on your grades being slightly below their standard requirements. Fill in the form!

Right, well firstly I will wait for my remarks which should come in a week or two. Then if my marks go up, it would sound a bit more appealing than my current situation when I call universities or fill out a form.
Original post by NMJerry
Right, well firstly I will wait for my remarks which should come in a week or two. Then if my marks go up, it would sound a bit more appealing than my current situation when I call universities or fill out a form.

Fill it out now and if there’s space mention that you’re waiting for remarks. You can always fill in the form again if they reject you AND your grades go up.
The course could be closed by the time your re-marks come in. Fill it in now and as above make them aware there’s a possibility your grades may change.

Even if you are not made an offer, if they lower their requirements later, you can always get in touch with them again. They’re not going to refuse to consider you once more if that happens.
Reply 12
Original post by NMJerry
Right, well I was wondering did he have to meet all those entry requirements or was he one/two points short such as Leeds? Because I can contact Sheffield and I am two points(well if I remark then one point short) so could I call them?

His offer from Leeds was 35 5/5 in Maths HL and Physics HL and he got 30 5/4 respectively. We thought it was impossible, but they accepted.

I forgot to tell you he got rejected also from Surrey.
Reply 13
Original post by NMJerry

He didn't meet the requirements of most Unis as you understand. Most of them require 5s or even 6s in one of the two subjects, like Queen Mary and usually 32 or 33 points. Heriot-Watt was claiming to ask 29 and was quoting no specific marks for Maths and Physics but they said no.
The issue with Scottish universities is they have strict caps on the number of EC students they can take because of funding restriction. EC applicants will find it difficult with Scottish universities for that reason. 2 IB grades short is very likely he will be accepted as it is the equivalent of a 1 grade A level drop. Nobody can guarantee that but that is the likely scenario. What might cause a problem is if someone falls short on a specific subject requirement. Many courses for example require grade A Maths or equivalent and if that isnt met the likelyhood of rejection is greater which is probably the reason universities rejected EleaGR'S son.
* Some courses with lots of likely spaces will be in Clearing already. The Uni has calculated that even if all Offers get their grades there will still be gaps, and want to start back-filling that deficit now.

* Other courses will only be in Clearing once the A level results are out - because the Uni isn't sure yet how many spaces they will have so they are waiting until that is actually known.

* So phoning Unis now may not get you any definite information, and you'll just have to phone back in August.
Just to reiterate - if a university says over the phone that you should fill in the online form that is NOT a NO.

It’s a “maybe but it needs to be reviewed by someone more senior or referred to the academic staff for a decision”.

Fill in the form asap.
Original post by NMJerry
Alright, well I would like your opinion on this: Do you believe that universities will not lower their entry requirements "currently" because they expect higher academically achieved students? Would it be sensible for universities to lower their requirements after A-Level results day? I could call anywhere but honestly with my grades at this moment I would feel as if there is no point in calling. I will do eventually, but I feel as if it not right moment now.

It's not the case that every uni will lower their entry requirements for every course after A-level results day. If a uni feels the need to let people in with lower grades, they will usually first look at applicants who had already firmed/insured that uni, as they've already made a commitment to the uni.

Some courses at some unis may drop their grades on or after results day if they are desperate to fill their places, but just because a uni is advertising places now, doesn't mean they will necessarily have loads of places available after results day. Also, just because a uni is advertising places for people with certain grades, doesn't mean they will give an offer to everyone with those grades, even in clearing.

You've got nothing to loose by filling in Sheffield's form and contacting other unis.

However, if you wait, as others have said, the places may disappear all together, or you may end up competing against lots more applicants, especially with UCAS' new "decline my place" feature. It can be difficult to get through to unis on results day, and some courses do fill up very quickly.

If you want a uni place this year, then you need to take some action!
Reply 18
Original post by EleaGR
His offer from Leeds was 35 5/5 in Maths HL and Physics HL and he got 30 5/4 respectively. We thought it was impossible, but they accepted.

I forgot to tell you he got rejected also from Surrey.

Wow Seriously? Did he just make one phone call to get the place?
Reply 19
He wrote them a very good email first trying to explain that the results he got were not reflecting his true potential and that he is willing to work hard and prove he is a good fit etc. Then he called them to make sure they had received the email and they told him that they would discuss it and give him their decision in 2 days. However they replied the very next day with a positive decision and they urged him to review the Physics and Maths material before coming to Uni.
I suppose his reference and previous years grades must have played a role in giving him the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending