The Student Room Group

Will Brexit be like the collapse of the Soviet Union?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by williamho
The UK is the only country that is ever leaving the EU. . .

apart from the near country, autonomous region of Denmark, known as Greenland

https://www.britannica.com/place/Greenland

Strangely the Encyclopedia Britannica forgets to mention that Greenland left the EU, so let's ask the EU's own website

"It is an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark and is the only Danish territory associated to the EU. Greenland has a population of 56,700 inhabitants, 88% of which are of Inuit origin. Nuuk is the capital city. Between 1973 and 1985, Greenland was part of the EU. Following a referendum held in 1982, it withdrew from the EU and is now associated to the EU under the Overseas Association Decision."

according to https://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/countries/greenland_en

on the Brexit / Soviet collapse similarity? angle, it'll all be resolved in a decade or so, after a few currency collapses and 'drunken' PMs/Presidents
Original post by ByEeek
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why wreck all that is good. It has taken us several hundred years to get to this point. Wrecking it in the hope of something better isn't going to happen in your time. Just look at Zimbabwe, Syria and now Venezuela. All once thriving societies now decimated. Is that what you want?

I’m sure that’s something despite throughout the ages have said. Better the devil you know...

Perhaps it won’t be better in my time but hopefully my children’s or there’s. If it’s not better in my time so be it. Unlike liberals I’m willing to make that Sacrifice on my own material pleasure.

What odd and completely irrelevant examples. If you’re looking for actual historical example if a scare story China and the French Revolution are better examples- and yes I’d defend them too.
Original post by ByEeek
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why wreck all that is good. It has taken us several hundred years to get to this point. Wrecking it in the hope of something better isn't going to happen in your time. Just look at Zimbabwe, Syria and now Venezuela. All once thriving societies now decimated. Is that what you want?

When you listen to the current rhetoric from Brextremists, it is clear they would be perfectly happy to see the UK become another Zimbabwe if it meant leaving the EU. There is no logic and no thought involved. It is a religious position and deeply associated with racism and the radical Right and with the closed minds of the privileged and the comfortable.

Of course, all of those Tory and Brexit numpties across the Home Counties who caused Brexit are going to end up devastated when they realise that the high house prices they shelter under and considered indefinite are going to plunge downwards after a Hard Brexit. Not to mention there will be many cold shocks to all those comfy pension payments.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
When you listen to the current rhetoric from Brextremists, it is clear they would be perfectly happy to see the UK become another Zimbabwe if it meant leaving the EU. There is no logic and no thought involved. It is a religious position and deeply associated with racism and the radical Right and with the closed minds of the privileged and the comfortable.

Of course, all of those Tory and Brexit numpties across the Home Counties who caused Brexit are going to end up devastated when they realise that the high house prices they shelter under and considered indefinite are going to plunge downwards after a Hard Brexit. Not to mention there will be many cold shocks to all those comfy pension payments.

If you think brexit will turn the U.K. into Zimbabwe you need your head examined. No deal will be economically damaging but it will not reduce us to that. I agree that it is quasi religious movement - it is a glorious protest against people who want us to be good little materialist conformists and just act like bots they accuse brexiteers of being. As a hard leftist I would rather be on the side of Mogg (and Corbyn) then on the same side as Merkel, Blair, Osborne , Goldman Sachs et al who have run this country to the ground under the last thirty years under the auspices if the EU.

As for your second point:

1: Good!
2; Brexit was a class Issue. Those of wealth and privilege and capital overwhelmingly backed remain. Shameful that the party of the working class backed them.
Original post by Alt Tankie
2; Brexit was a class Issue. Those of wealth and privilege and capital overwhelmingly backed remain. Shameful that the party of the working class backed them.

This is very silly. The entire Home Counties and all of the wealthiest areas right across Southern England were heavily Brexit. You are talking about a few particularly left of centre towns like Oxford and Cambridge, which were like little islands of thought in a sea of racist reflux.
:aetsch: Needed a laugh today
Original post by desou
Scotland will leave the union and Northern Ireland will probably have a border poll to rejoin the Republic, undoubtedly leading to violence.

England and Wales will collapse into a deep recession. Leavers and remainers will blame each other. London and the South will be hit hard, but it will be nothing compared to the carnage in the North, the Midlands and Wales. Unemployment will sky rocket, the NHS and public services will basically collapse, violence, crime and homelessness will become an epidemic, living standards will fall dramatically, millions will become unemployed, thousands upon thousands will die unnecessarily.

Curfews will be put in place and the military will be placed on the streets. The Tory/Brexit Party coalition government will permanently prorogue parliament and indefinitely suspend elections as they are undemocratic. Undesireables, such as ethnic minorities, communists, homosexuals, remain voters and other degenerates will be designated as having views contrary to the "WILL OF THE PEOPLE" and placed into "protection camps" for their own safety, where they will be kept in cages. A thousand years of darkness will descend across the world.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This is very silly. The entire Home Counties and all of the wealthiest areas right across Southern England were heavily Brexit. You are talking about a few particularly left of centre towns like Oxford and Cambridge, which were like little islands of thought in a sea of racist reflux.

Numerous polling has shown that CLASS
was the biggest determining factor in the Brexit vote. Forget the south east look at labour heartlands in Wales and the North.

Eg: https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Question :

1: if someone like Salvini or Orban became president of the EU would you still try and fight for us to remain in the EU.

2: if we left with a no deal on bad terms with the EU , would you you support us getting a free trade deal with the US which would overall economically benefit the U.K. and take a bit of the dying out of leaving the EU
Reply 27
If you think brexit will turn the U.K. into Zimbabwe you need your head examined. No deal will be economically damaging but it will not reduce us to that. I agree that it is quasi religious movement - it is a glorious protest against people who want us to be good little materialist conformists and just act like bots they accuse brexiteers of being. As a hard leftist I would rather be on the side of Mogg (and Corbyn) then on the same side as Merkel, Blair, Osborne , Goldman Sachs et al who have run this country to the ground under the last thirty years under the auspices if the EU.

As for your second point:

1: Good!

2 is completely and demonstrably false. Just look at the ****ing numbers rather than spouting this fake news ********.

Members of lower social economic classes overwhelmingly voted to remain by a ratio of 4:1.
The average leave voter is an old rich white man from the south of England.

The key determinants of Leave vs Remain are 1) age (the u30s overwhelmingly voted remain) 2) education level (university educated people overwhelmingly voted remain) and 3) daily newspaper readership (readers of the Mail, Express, Telegraph all voted leave)
It won't be for the UK. The collapse of the Soviet Union was a tragedy. Millions of ethnic Russians were now living in countries such as Uzbekistan, Estonia, Turkmenistan etc and were often then harshly treated and were forcibly removed from those countries. The UK will benefit from leaving the EU, ultimately however, just as one country left the USSR, more will follow, until the EU is no more. The EU will cease to exist within the next 10 to 20 years particuarly if there is a global financial crisis in 2020 as predicted.
Original post by desou
2 is completely and demonstrably false. Just look at the ****ing numbers rather than spouting this fake news ********.

Members of lower social economic classes overwhelmingly voted to remain by a ratio of 4:1.

The key determinants of Leave vs Remain are 1) age (the u30s overwhelmingly voted remain) 2) education level (university educated people overwhelmingly voted remain) and 3) daily newspaper readership (readers of the Mail, Express, Telegraph all voted leave)

No it’s not see my post- no 27- above. Where is your source that poorest voted 4x for Remain???

I agree to an extent with your last paragraph.
Original post by desou

Again, class was the deciding factor:

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit-vote-explained-poverty-low-skills-and-lack-opportunities
No, the people of Britain are...

1) smart
2) hard working
3) systematic

There will be no collapse, short term pain for long term gain. The economy will rebound, the EU will be in a mess however as they won't get the £39 billion, while having the basket cases of Greece and Portugal to bail out every few years. Matter of time before the germans kick them out of the EU.
I don’t think faux leftists like it when I show then the proles don’t like their trendy neoliberal policies 😂
I’m sure that’s something despite throughout the ages have said. Better the devil you know...

Perhaps it won’t be better in my time but hopefully my children’s or there’s. If it’s not better in my time so be it. Unlike liberals I’m willing to make that Sacrifice on my own material pleasure.

What odd and completely irrelevant examples. If you’re looking for actual historical example if a scare story China and the French Revolution are better examples- and yes I’d defend them too.

If you want to better your kids, educate them. Whether you wreck the place and they have to start again or find a place in what we have, if you don't have money to give them the only way for them to succeed is through education.

We live in a skills based world now. Even traditional manual trades are now highly skilled jobs.
Reply 34
Original post by maachu_pichuu
No, the people of Britain are...

1) smart
2) hard working
3) systematic

There will be no collapse, short term pain for long term gain. The economy will rebound, the EU will be in a mess however as they won't get the £39 billion, while having the basket cases of Greece and Portugal to bail out every few years. Matter of time before the germans kick them out of the EU.

Newsflash: The British are no smarter, systematic or more hard-working than any other nationality. We just have a significant amount of capital accumulated from centuries of pillaging, thieving and slave-trading. Its only our extremely fortunate position within the EU that has kept us in the exalted position we are after the collapse of the Empire.
Come on man, the british have a form for everything, they are the most systematic people in the world. They are smart as well, as a whole, needs brains to take over 1/3 of the world doesn't it. They are also hard working, you should visit the Caribbean and see the way of life there, one guy working while ten people living off him.
Original post by ByEeek
If you want to better your kids, educate them. Whether you wreck the place and they have to start again or find a place in what we have, if you don't have money to give them the only way for them to succeed is through education.

We live in a skills based world now. Even traditional manual trades are now highly skilled jobs.

This is a very conservative way of thinking is the sort of thinking that produces people like Boris Johnson.

We live in a society buddy
Original post by desou
Newsflash: The British are no smarter, systematic or more hard-working than any other nationality. We just have a significant amount of capital accumulated from centuries of pillaging, thieving and slave-trading. Its only our extremely fortunate position within the EU that has kept us in the exalted position we are after the collapse of the Empire.

Without the UK, France and Germany, the EU is nothing. They are losing a 1/3 of their power basically by the UK leaving, I say we go for no deal brexit and tell them to go whistle when they come for the £39 billion.

We live in a society buddy

Agreed. But if you destroy that society, what jobs are your uneducated kids going to do?
Reply 39
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Without the UK, France and Germany, the EU is nothing. They are losing a 1/3 of their power basically by the UK leaving, I say we go for no deal brexit and tell them to go whistle when they come for the £39 billion.

This is such an odd and irrational stance. France and Germany are our greatest friends and allies in the world. We have a mutually beneficial partnership of equals with them - something we will never have with the US or China, for example.

Why would we want to totally wreck our own economy simply to slightly damage theirs? If they were our enemies, this would be stupid and irrational. But as they're not our enemies, but actually our most valuable and trusted allies and partners in geopolitics, this is beyond stupid, its completely and totally insane, like deciding to chainsaw off your own hands in order to win a bet where the prize is some gloves. Its just totally ****ing mental.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending