The Student Room Group

What do you do in lectures??

Do you take notes? Sleep? talk? Asos? Eat?

And what are you supposed to do??

A guy who did my course and got a first told me he never took lecture notes... would you advise this???

Im not a fan of lecture notes but would that make things awkward and would people give me stares?? I dont want to take a laptop cause thats awkward.... and Im not doing a C.S degree....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by captainamerica77

A guy who did my course and got a first told me he never took lecture notes... would you advise this???

Im not a fan of lecture notes but would that make things awkward and would people give me stares?? I dont want to take a laptop cause thats awkward.... and Im not doing a C.S degree....

Why is it awkward to take a laptop? The majority of people in my lectures (for a forensic psych degree) have laptops.

I take my laptop and have the lecture slides up on the screen. I make notes on anything extra and useful that the lecturer says, on the corresponding slide's note section.

You should at the very least be listening and paying attention. Note-taking is good too because it's active learning. If I just sat there and did nothing I would zone out so easily because my brain wouldn't be engaged. It isn't awkward to make notes about content you need to learn for assignments and exams.

Although I have to admit, at the end of a long day of lectures, I have been known to have a cheeky scroll through social media to help me stay sane. (I mean, having 7 hours of almost back-to-back lectures is very tiring on anybody's brain, so it's reasonable for me to say I struggle to concentrate in those last 2 hours).
Reply 2
Takes notes or just listen
Original post by DrawTheLine
Why is it awkward to take a laptop? The majority of people in my lectures (for a forensic psych degree) have laptops.

I take my laptop and have the lecture slides up on the screen. I make notes on anything extra and useful that the lecturer says, on the corresponding slide's note section.

You should at the very least be listening and paying attention. Note-taking is good too because it's active learning. If I just sat there and did nothing I would zone out so easily because my brain wouldn't be engaged. It isn't awkward to make notes about content you need to learn for assignments and exams.

Although I have to admit, at the end of a long day of lectures, I have been known to have a cheeky scroll through social media to help me stay sane. (I mean, having 7 hours of almost back-to-back lectures is very tiring on anybody's brain, so it's reasonable for me to say I struggle to concentrate in those last 2 hours).

Oh okay cool... cause someone told me that they give you stares.... lol
Original post by lemxn
Takes notes or just listen

Ok thanks! What do you do tho?
Most people on my course use laptops. We're biomed. It's not essential but it is far easier than handwriting because most people can type rather than they can write. Less likely to miss information, given a lot of what you want to write down is what the lecturer is saying verbally rather than what s/he has written on the lecture slides.

On days I can't be bothered paying attention (I'll admit it happens) I browse TSR, do coursework, or work on my own projects.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sinfonietta
Most people on my course use laptops. We're biomed. It's not essential but it is far easier than handwriting because most people can type rather than they can write. Less likely to miss information, given a lot of what you want to write down is what the lecturer is saying verbally rather than what s/he has written on the lecture slides.

On days I can't be bothered paying attention (I'll admit it happens) I browse TSR, do coursework, or work on my own projects.

Okay cool

Hi @captainamerica77

The most important thing to do in lectures is to listen. If you can take notes then that is great, however, you should be listening to the lecturer and thinking about what they are saying. There will be time during seminars to take more detailed notes and you will be taking notes while doing the recommended/extra reading. I got a first-class degree and I did not take notes while in lectures.

Hope this helps.

Dom :h:
Original post by liverpool hope university
hi @captainamerica77

the most important thing to do in lectures is to listen. If you can take notes then that is great, however, you should be listening to the lecturer and thinking about what they are saying. There will be time during seminars to take more detailed notes and you will be taking notes while doing the recommended/extra reading. I got a first-class degree and i did not take notes while in lectures.

Hope this helps.

Dom :h

this is what i was looking for!!! Thank you so so so much!!
Skydive.
As other people have pointed out, you just sit around, sometimes answer questions, listen and take in.

I would advise taking notes, sometimes it'll be on a PowerPoint anyway. But having it to revise from later is great, especially for the extra information they'll give to you.

It's nothing fancy or special.

Joshua :smile:
Original post by Dunya
Skydive.

ma guy!!!
Lots of people took laptops into my lectures, typing is often quicker than handwriting so it made sense, plus you can have the lecture slides up on the screen so they're easier to read. It's a good idea to take notes (handwritten or typed) because it gives you an incentive to pay attention, and you'll probably forget certain things later (even if you think you won't :tongue:). If you don't want to make notes though at least make sure you listen carefully.

Also, avoid talking or whispering while the lecturer is speaking, it's distracting to others around you (and disrespectful to the lecturer, no matter how boring they are!), so save chatting for breaks :smile:
Original post by hallamstudents
As other people have pointed out, you just sit around, sometimes answer questions, listen and take in.

I would advise taking notes, sometimes it'll be on a PowerPoint anyway. But having it to revise from later is great, especially for the extra information they'll give to you.

It's nothing fancy or special.

Joshua :smile:

Okay so how do you take notes in tutorials or supervisions?? Its just like tuition right? Where the lectyrer helps you answer questions...
this is what i was looking for!!! Thank you so so so much!!

You are welcome. If you need any more advice please just ask

Dom :bhangra:
ma guy!!!

Not a chico :biggrin:, also TeamStark all the way :cry2:
I barely even went to lectures - they generally send out a handout, and since the majority of the lecture is based on that handout then why bother? I can read a handout myself thanks.

Seminars are different as they're very useful.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Lots of people took laptops into my lectures, typing is often quicker than handwriting so it made sense, plus you can have the lecture slides up on the screen so they're easier to read. It's a good idea to take notes (handwritten or typed) because it gives you an incentive to pay attention, and you'll probably forget certain things later (even if you think you won't :tongue:). If you don't want to make notes though at least make sure you listen carefully.

Also, avoid talking or whispering while the lecturer is speaking, it's distracting to others around you (and disrespectful to the lecturer, no matter how boring they are!), so save chatting for breaks :smile:

Hmmm... Ill probably just take my tab with my bluetooth mini keypad and type away on the ppp and make people think Im actually there to study while Im actually watching Logan Paul

😐
I think the general idea is to pay attention and take notes :wink:

That said once I realised I was never going to pass my number theory exam, those lectures became "tetris time" :tongue:
Original post by Dunya
Not a chico :biggrin:, also TeamStark all the way :cry2:

😔 I miss cap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending