The Student Room Group

Clearing question

Technically speaking, can you go into clearing WITHOUT your two uni choices denying/rejecting you? Or can you access clearing strictly when both Unis have specifically rejected you?
Original post by pizzamalia
Technically speaking, can you go into clearing WITHOUT your two uni choices denying/rejecting you? Or can you access clearing strictly when both Unis have specifically rejected you?

You need to not be holding any offers to add a clearing choice on track. You can decline your place on UCAS, though in order to be able to do this.

You can ring unis in clearing whilst holding your offers, but they may choose not to speak to you/make an offer until you're officially in clearing.

Are you thinking you may want to change your course tomorrow?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You need to not be holding any offers to add a clearing choice on track. You can decline your place on UCAS, though in order to be able to do this.

You can ring unis in clearing whilst holding your offers, but they may choose not to speak to you/make an offer until you're officially in clearing.

Are you thinking you may want to change your course tomorrow?

My offers contain my A-level grades and a grade for GCSE English (I have taken it as a proof of language exam as I only moved to the Uk before starting A-levels) and so I need to wait another week to have all my results (GCSE results day is August 22nd). However, if I do not meet my a-level grades tomorrow and do need to go through clearing, I'd rather do it sooner than next week (that is, tomorrow), so I can at least have some chances of getting an alright place. I would however have to mention that I am still awaiting my GCSE grade but still I would be able to call around, if needed. I am not worried about not getting the GCSE grade, it's just about having the 'official' result.

Hope this makes sense and PLEASE if you have any advice whatsoever about the whole situation I would be really grateful as I am very stressed, lost and disoriented!!! Thank you!!!!!
My offers contain my A-level grades and a grade for GCSE English (I have taken it as a proof of language exam as I only moved to the Uk before starting A-levels) and so I need to wait another week to have all my results (GCSE results day is August 22nd). However, if I do not meet my a-level grades tomorrow and do need to go through clearing, I'd rather do it sooner than next week (that is, tomorrow), so I can at least have some chances of getting an alright place. I would however have to mention that I am still awaiting my GCSE grade but still I would be able to call around, if needed. I am not worried about not getting the GCSE grade, it's just about having the 'official' result.

Hope this makes sense and PLEASE if you have any advice whatsoever about the whole situation I would be really grateful as I am very stressed, lost and disoriented!!! Thank you!!!!!

I can totally see why you're worried- this is a little bit of a tricky situation to be in.

Unis can't make conditional offers in clearing, so unfortunately until you have your GCSE English, you would be asking the uni to take a risk on you. Unis also may not want to wait a week so that you can see what your firm/insurance are doing.

If you miss your offers, it may be that your firm/insurance reject you, in which case you can at least try to shop around in clearing.

If you haven't met your A-level grades for your offers, but your firm/insurance haven't rejected you yet, here is what I would suggest you do:

1) Ring up your firm and insurance and ask if they may still confirm your place when you get your GCSE results (assuming you miss this requirement). If you're a "near miss" they may still be planning on accepting you. If you can get any promises that unis make in writing (e.g. email)- otherwise make a note of who you speak to and at what times. Ask if there is an alternative course they'd consider offering you as well.

2) Ring around other unis in clearing and explain the situation. Some may not want to speak to you, but you may find some unis willing to discuss your situation.

I hope this helps a bit (sorry I can't be more reassuring). If you find yourself in this position tomorrow, do feel free to quote me in this thread or PM me, and I'll try to help- but hopefully you will get the A-levels you need!
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I can totally see why you're worried- this is a little bit of a tricky situation to be in.

Unis can't make conditional offers in clearing, so unfortunately until you have your GCSE English, you would be asking the uni to take a risk on you. Unis also may not want to wait a week so that you can see what your firm/insurance are doing.

If you miss your offers, it may be that your firm/insurance reject you, in which case you can at least try to shop around in clearing.

If you haven't met your A-level grades for your offers, but your firm/insurance haven't rejected you yet, here is what I would suggest you do:

1) Ring up your firm and insurance and ask if they may still confirm your place when you get your GCSE results (assuming you miss this requirement). If you're a "near miss" they may still be planning on accepting you. If you can get any promises that unis make in writing (e.g. email)- otherwise make a note of who you speak to and at what times. Ask if there is an alternative course they'd consider offering you as well.

2) Ring around other unis in clearing and explain the situation. Some may not want to speak to you, but you may find some unis willing to discuss your situation.

I hope this helps a bit (sorry I can't be more reassuring). If you find yourself in this position tomorrow, do feel free to quote me in this thread or PM me, and I'll try to help- but hopefully you will get the A-levels you need!

hello again and thank you so much for your reply!!!
This has helped me make everything clearer and more structured, so now I can say that I am a bit more calm:biggrin:

If it is the case tomorrow, I will follow this plan and hopefully sort out everything. I shall keep you updated:smile:

Thank you again!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
I applied to Cardiff for law and saw that law is actually going through clearing at Cardiff. I was wondering if this means I may have a higher chance in going into Cardiff
hello again and thank you so much for your reply!!!
This has helped me make everything clearer and more structured, so now I can say that I am a bit more calm:biggrin:

If it is the case tomorrow, I will follow this plan and hopefully sort out everything. I shall keep you updated:smile:

Thank you again!!!!!!!!

No worries!

Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by M.el
I applied to Cardiff for law and saw that law is actually going through clearing at Cardiff. I was wondering if this means I may have a higher chance in going into Cardiff

Hi

You'll usually have a better chance of getting a response if you start your own thread.

This may mean you have a chance of getting into Cardiff as a "near miss", but honestly it's not super informative information- I'd say take it as a good thing and try not to overthink things tonight!
Original post by M.el

You can't really say anything about it tbh, it's best not to speculate. It probably hasn't increased or decreased your chances, being completely honest, as there are loads of reasons why a course may not have filled up.
Reply 9
Original post by Protostar
You can't really say anything about it tbh, it's best not to speculate. It probably hasn't increased or decreased your chances, being completely honest, as there are loads of reasons why a course may not have filled up.

I understand completely haha thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending