The Student Room Group

Need to wear glasses

I had an eye test optician appointment this week (first time in 6 years) as I had been experiencing pain in my left eye the week before. I spend a lot of time on my phone so I thought that could be the problem. I was shocked when I was told had to wear glasses full time as I don't find day to day life blurred such as seeing people, seeing what I'm doing or where I'm going with blurred vision or dizziness etc. I used to have glasses in the past just for television and the board at school. I don't want to wear glasses outside. Will normal sunglasses protect me as well glasses? Can I ignore this advice and wear the glasses part time for television and my phone etc or will they deteriorate? Is anyone going through the same thing?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You considered contact lenses? Talk to your opticians and you might be able to talk through some options
I went through the exact same thing as you and ended up ignoring what my optometrist said and didn’t wear them full time. This didn’t do me any good as my eye sight just deteriorated even more and worsened a lot to the point where I have to wear glasses all the time now. However I hate wearing glasses so I wear contact lenses instead when I go out and glasses at home . If you rlly hate wearing glasses I suggest trying out contact lenses , do the trial .
Reply 3
You should probably listen to them, since they are a professional... butttt it's not gonna kill you + it is your choice so do what you want :smile:

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I found out I was short sighted but I won't wear my glasses full time + I only wear them at school and I'm fine.. However, my eyesight has been getting worse (IDK if it's related or not...) :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by myraxo
You considered contact lenses? Talk to your opticians and you might be able to talk through some options

Just putting something inside my eye creeps me out, also heard people who wear contacts can get infections, I think I'll wear glasses and hope for the best going outside without
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I went through the exact same thing as you and ended up ignoring what my optometrist said and didn’t wear them full time. This didn’t do me any good as my eye sight just deteriorated even more and worsened a lot to the point where I have to wear glasses all the time now. However I hate wearing glasses so I wear contact lenses instead when I go out and glasses at home . If you rlly hate wearing glasses I suggest trying out contact lenses , do the trial .

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't like putting things inside my eye and have heard people who use contacts are prone to getting infections etc. I hate both. I guess I'll wear glasses and without outside.
Reply 6
Original post by RyanC_
You should probably listen to them, since they are a professional... butttt it's not gonna kill you + it is your choice so do what you want :smile:

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I found out I was short sighted but I won't wear my glasses full time + I only wear them at school and I'm fine.. However, my eyesight has been getting worse (IDK if it's related or not...) :s-smilie:

Glad it's not just me. Have you stopped wearing glasses?
Reply 7
I only wear mine when im reading or at work.

and take off at any other time, my eyes have gotten worse over the past 2 years though. Might consider surgery.
Reply 8
Original post by Kerry.21
Glad it's not just me. Have you stopped wearing glasses?

I'm not wearing them during the holidays but I will once I go back to school.. I was gonna try contact lenses at one point but I backed out because it's a lot of effort and can apparently get quite expensive
Reply 9
Original post by RyanC_
I'm not wearing them during the holidays but I will once I go back to school.. I was gonna try contact lenses at one point but I backed out because it's a lot of effort and can apparently get quite expensive

How old are you? If you're still in your teens it may mean your prescription is wrong or you need an check up. I don't have the guts for contacts as I hate the thought of putting something inside my eye and have heard about the infections and possibly blindness it comes with, my aunt had an operation to have something fitted inside her eye permanently recently as she wears contacts and not able to anymore and she had a high risk of becoming blind without it. It's a hard life :frown: DO NOT get contacts
(edited 4 years ago)
What is the reason the optometrist said you need glasses full-time?
There are plenty of possible reasons, some are not so important, others are very important.
You don't notice your vision is bad, it doesn't mean you are not straining your eyes all the time. Possibly you strain your eyes so hard it is actually better for you to wear glasses all the time for a while to let your eyes rest.
You should talk to your optometrist and find out why they say you need glasses full-time.
As an optometrist, from my experience there are only few cases you actually need glasses all the time when you don't really see a reason to.

When I was 13 I discovered I needed glasses, started really wearing them only at 15-16 when I could no longer see the board even from the closest place in class. Not wearing glasses when needed caused me to develop a fatigue issue, my eyes get tired quickly even from reading (I am shortsighted, so up close should not be a big issue), I have astigmatism too, but the main issue that was probably caused by not wearing glasses when needed is that I can't wear the full correction for up-close and need a lower prescription for up close.
When I was wearing glasses only when really needed them my vision even improved, when I was wearing glasses full time or not wearing them enough it only got worse.
So it is very important to know why you need the glasses.

Now, I'm almost 30 and my vision is almost back to what it was at 15. Slowly improving. I wear them when needed, even have some pairs with different prescriptions and one progressive pair.
Lately, though, I started wearing them more often... felt I need to despite the recent improvement....

Why do you worry so much about needing glasses?
It makes sense to use them if really needed.
Reply 12
Original post by Kathy89
What is the reason the optometrist said you need glasses full-time?
There are plenty of possible reasons, some are not so important, others are very important.
You don't notice your vision is bad, it doesn't mean you are not straining your eyes all the time. Possibly you strain your eyes so hard it is actually better for you to wear glasses all the time for a while to let your eyes rest.
You should talk to your optometrist and find out why they say you need glasses full-time.
As an optometrist, from my experience there are only few cases you actually need glasses all the time when you don't really see a reason to.

When I was 13 I discovered I needed glasses, started really wearing them only at 15-16 when I could no longer see the board even from the closest place in class. Not wearing glasses when needed caused me to develop a fatigue issue, my eyes get tired quickly even from reading (I am shortsighted, so up close should not be a big issue), I have astigmatism too, but the main issue that was probably caused by not wearing glasses when needed is that I can't wear the full correction for up-close and need a lower prescription for up close.
When I was wearing glasses only when really needed them my vision even improved, when I was wearing glasses full time or not wearing them enough it only got worse.
So it is very important to know why you need the glasses.

Now, I'm almost 30 and my vision is almost back to what it was at 15. Slowly improving. I wear them when needed, even have some pairs with different prescriptions and one progressive pair.
Lately, though, I started wearing them more often... felt I need to despite the recent improvement....

Why do you worry so much about needing glasses?

I don't think the optometrist told me the reason I need it. I'm collecting the glasses next week so I should find out then. I just can't comprehend why I would need to use them full time when I don't find people or what I'm doing blurry or dizzy at all like most with glasses usually do. Personally I think the problem is looking at screens TV and phone etc if anything. But I know I have to wear them. Although I've heard things that wearing glasses can damage your normal eyesight even more. I absolutely hate the thought of contacts for the infections it causes and glasses full time outside as I'd feel embarrassed and judged with them constantly on.
I don't think the optometrist told me the reason I need it. I'm collecting the glasses next week so I should find out then. I just can't comprehend why I would need to use them full time when I don't find people or what I'm doing blurry or dizzy at all like most with glasses usually do. Personally I think the problem is looking at screens TV and phone etc if anything. But I know I have to wear them. Although I've heard things that wearing glasses can damage your normal eyesight even more. I absolutely hate the thought of contacts for the infections it causes and glasses full time outside as I'd feel embarrassed and judged with them constantly on.

re contacts lenses: don't shower in them, don't wear them to sleep and occasionally wear glasses, you're good to go.

Why would people judge you for wearing glasses?
Reply 15
Original post by Noodlzzz
re contacts lenses: don't shower in them, don't wear them to sleep and occasionally wear glasses, you're good to go.

Contacts aren't an option
DO NOT get contacts

Wtf are you on about, contacts are worn by millions daily and are just fine. The increased risk of infection is tiny. There is a risk of eye infection whether you wear contacts or not!

judged with them constantly on.

'Judged' lol.

Glasses are so in fashion atm that people make threads on here about how to wear them if they don't actually need a prescription. Edit: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3581793
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you dislike the idea of wearing glasses in public because of any specific reason or past experiences?

It would come down to deciding on if you are more concerned about the opinion of others or your ability to see. You might actually get used to it.
Contacts aren't an option
I had this a few months ago. I still don't wear them full time because if I'm looking at my phone or my laptop my glasses won't actually make a difference. When I watch TV I usually wear them and I pick and choose when I wear them when going out
Original post by Prussianxo
I had this a few months ago. I still don't wear them full time because if I'm looking at my phone or my laptop my glasses won't actually make a difference. When I watch TV I usually wear them and I pick and choose when I wear them when going out

If you are shortsighted you may even find that reading without glasses is more comfortable and you'll even see slightly better. It is even better to wear them only when needed.

Quick Reply

Latest