The Student Room Group

Gonna be in year 11 soon aghhhh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _asia.xo3
I'm going into year 11 too, my mock grades were ok but I feel like I'm still behind target for a lot of things

maths - 7. TG - 9
English Lit - 8. TG - 8
English lang - 7. TG - 8
biology - 6. TG - 8
chemistry- 8. TG - 8
physics - 6. TG - 8
french - 7. TG - 9
history - 8. TG - 9
psychology - 7. TG - 9
sociology - 6. TG - 8
re - 5 TG - 7

I really want to do well in the next mocks so that I can go to a good sixth form and get better chances than at my current school,

Everyone here wants to get good grades to get into a good sixth form but for me there is only one close, and only a few that I could go to that are a bit further away and they're all kinda **** :laugh:

Good luck - those mock results are great :smile: Do you have any idea what you want to take at sixth form?
Reply 41
Original post by Bill Nye
Everyone here wants to get good grades to get into a good sixth form but for me there is only one close, and only a few that I could go to that are a bit further away and they're all kinda **** :laugh:

Good luck - those mock results are great :smile: Do you have any idea what you want to take at sixth form?

Thanks, sorry there's not a lot of good sixth forms in your area, mine too but I'm willing to travel around 45 minutes to an hour. I honestly just wanna get out of my area asap😂 I really don't want to see anyone from my school so, fingers crossed.
ummm, I don't really know what I want to do at a level but maths, chemistry and something else. At first I wanted to also do history then I looked at the syllabus and was like no way, it seems really boring but I don't really know what else I can do, maybe economics but it seems hard and I don't know if I'll be good at it🤔☹️
Original post by _asia.xo3
Thanks, sorry there's not a lot of good sixth forms in your area, mine too but I'm willing to travel around 45 minutes to an hour. I honestly just wanna get out of my area asap😂 I really don't want to see anyone from my school so, fingers crossed.
ummm, I don't really know what I want to do at a level but maths, chemistry and something else. At first I wanted to also do history then I looked at the syllabus and was like no way, it seems really boring but I don't really know what else I can do, maybe economics but it seems hard and I don't know if I'll be good at it🤔☹️

:laugh: I think most of the people in my school want to move to a different sixth form too tbh.

I know that I want to do maths and computer science but idk what else to do and whether I should do further maths or not.
Loads of my friends want to take history but I agree with you - it looks really boring lmao

But if you think you'll enjoy economics (I mean chemistry and maths are also going to be hard) then you should definitely consider it
Do you have any ideas what you want to do after sixth form? :smile:
Reply 43
did you take additional maths for a levels, if you did you'll have a headstart for further maths. Honestly I never thought I'd do maths for a level until I realised there is little choice and not much other options. I never really thought about economics till a few days ago. I literally don't know what career I want to go into, I was thinking architecture, structural engineering or medicine. Doing maths and chemistry will keep my options open.so idk yet. What about you
I dont really revise that deeply when it comes to exams even though I probably should, the most I normally do is look through my book or checklist (only science has the checklist) and then occasionally make flash cards (again, mainly science) and all my friends say its not really enough - yet I get pretty decent grades at around 7-8's with the odd 9. Im just a bit worried it wont be enough when it comes to actual GCSE, I was super chill through mocks and ended up falling asleep in 2 of my exams at the end.
Original post by medicalsupernova
Has anyone done any revision so far (for the summer)?

I have been trying to do at least like an hour and a half more or less every day but it's mostly like making notes that I can use for revision later? but I do have a few tests when I come back to year 11 so I need to revise for those anyways
Reply 46
I'm planning on going through B1, learning new psychology content I missed in class, history as well (I missed like 2 weeks), finishing C2 by myself, sociology research methods. There's a lot i need to catch up on but I'm on holiday as well so it's not easy.
Reply 47
I should probably also review English literature and P1
Reply 48
Recently had my mocks results back

English lit - 7
English Lang - 7
Science - 9
Maths - 5

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve or maintain these grades?? Or any revision tips?? How stressful is year 11??
Original post by Elle.c
Recently had my mocks results back

English lit - 7
English Lang - 7
Science - 9
Maths - 5

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve or maintain these grades?? Or any revision tips?? How stressful is year 11??

i'm getting around the same grades in english but for maths at least you should probably do loads of practise. cgp books are great for that. our maths teacher also gives us questions that are harder than what we'll actually get to help us think more i guess, and that definitely does help (he gives us like senior maths challenge questions and i'm really bad at them for the most part but they still help)
Trust me.... it aint easy
Reply 51
Original post by OllyDaws
mocks- revise dont be the person who says 'im not going to revise to i can see what ill revise when i get my results' this just shows ur lazy and when it comes to the actual gcse who won't revise cos you've never got into the habit
the gcse can be stressful, i did them this year, before phyics paper 2 i was panicking so f*cking hard (physics has always been my best subject targeted a 9) and that made me so stressed but in the end i found the exam pretty good and straight forward
yes gcse can be stressful but if youu work you'll be fine, bio a subject i was terrible at was what i thought going to be stressful in march came out to be really good for me cos i worked so all you need to do is work
pay attention in class! physics i went from 4s in year 10 to 8s in year 11 (sounds exaggerated but im not joking)

I’m going into year 11, I have high challenge grades and so I feel an enormous amount of pressure however I study hard and if I try my best well that’s all I can do. Going from 4’s to 8’s is fantastic well done! I’d love to hear your study plan/what you did to achieve that? Just a nervous new year 11 trying to get all the help I can before GCSE’s.... any advice you have would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻:smile:
Original post by vannahc22
I’m going into year 11, I have high challenge grades and so I feel an enormous amount of pressure however I study hard and if I try my best well that’s all I can do. Going from 4’s to 8’s is fantastic well done! I’d love to hear your study plan/what you did to achieve that? Just a nervous new year 11 trying to get all the help I can before GCSE’s.... any advice you have would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻:smile:

Same I really try to study hard.
But the problem is my insecurities sometimes distract me and I feel like Im not doing enough :frown:
Original post by husfngyaug
are mocks important and is doing the real gcses a stressfull time?

Honestly, teacher hype up how horrible and stressful it is when you get in the exam room, but it really feels like just another mock. For me, once I got the first exam out of the way, I felt casual walking in and it was so much less scary than everyone made it out to be!
Original post by Alex0179
I dont really revise that deeply when it comes to exams even though I probably should, the most I normally do is look through my book or checklist (only science has the checklist) and then occasionally make flash cards (again, mainly science) and all my friends say its not really enough - yet I get pretty decent grades at around 7-8's with the odd 9. Im just a bit worried it wont be enough when it comes to actual GCSE, I was super chill through mocks and ended up falling asleep in 2 of my exams at the end.

I would really recommend studying more, it'll help ease the nerves because you will feel more confident, prepared. I was the first year to do 1-9 GCSE's and I've completely finished A-levels and I can honestly say I found GCSE's harder- such difficult content and so so so many subjects. Just keep your head down and revise as much as you can! Especially for English Literature, they always throw curve-ball questions so be prepared for anything :smile:

Thank you, mainly the first problem for me was motivation, i went from being a science nerd in year 7-9 and then some reason gave no Fs in year 10
it was actually the start of year 11 when i realised if i wanted to go somewhere i actually had to work, physics was the easiest to revise for cos i had so much motivation for that so i didnt see it as something i HAD to do but something i enjoyed
then came bio and chemistry, didnt enjoy revising them so it was hard to get me started
but the other problem was i tried to revise for them like i did for physics (just doing questions) but i realised i knew not much so i had to re teach myself (i got through it just)

so what you need to do is take notes in class (obviously) and then you wont have a problem not remembering them hopefully and then you can just revise questions, but not the best way obviously
little and often is the best, i started serious revising march for my exams which was late but i did little and often from January. if there are other question sim happy to help :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by OllyDaws
Thank you, mainly the first problem for me was motivation, i went from being a science nerd in year 7-9 and then some reason gave no Fs in year 10
it was actually the start of year 11 when i realised if i wanted to go somewhere i actually had to work, physics was the easiest to revise for cos i had so much motivation for that so i didnt see it as something i HAD to do but something i enjoyed
then came bio and chemistry, didnt enjoy revising them so it was hard to get me started
but the other problem was i tried to revise for them like i did for physics (just doing questions) but i realised i knew not much so i had to re teach myself (i got through it just)

so what you need to do is take notes in class (obviously) and then you wont have a problem not remembering them hopefully and then you can just revise questions, but not the best way obviously
little and often is the best, i started serious revising march for my exams which was late but i did little and often from January. if there are other question sim happy to help :smile:

Thank you so much, this is very helpful and your grades were clearly well deserved :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by yoursunshinexx
Same I really try to study hard.
But the problem is my insecurities sometimes distract me and I feel like Im not doing enough :frown:

I relate to this on a genetic level... if you’d ever like to talk pm me :smile:
I relate to this on a genetic level... if you’d ever like to talk pm me :smile:

omds at last someone who gets meee
Yes I would love to talk ahah :smile:
Original post by yoursunshinexx
Anyone revising in the summer holidays or is it just me?? :tongue:

Yup. The whole year 10 I barely paid any attention so I have to :/
Mind if I ask, how do you usually revise for maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending