The Student Room Group

will we run out of water

I am becoming extremely anxious that we will run out of water within next 20-30 years. It keeps me awake at night and I am just scared.

I have an urge to start stocking up on water and I probably will as soon as I move into our new house.

Any people who are actually into the issue could tell me what the predictions actually are? can we avoid it? am I going to die from dehydration? I am s c a r e d

I am not one of those people who have ever been really involved with environment (I guess I was always too blind to see how important these issues were?). Since the climate change has started to become critical and green lifestyle more popular, I started trying to save plastic where I can, reduce wastage etc. I admire people who do and even though so far I have not been super consistent, I am now trying to become as good at zero-waste and stuff as I can. But the thought of dying from lack of water drives my anxiety absolutely crazy
We can never run out of water quite simply because of Ice.
Why are you so worried over something you can’t control? Just relax.
Reply 3
Original post by Fermion.

well the entire population can and should control this by reducing wastage
If sea levels are rising, that means more rain. So we won't run out of water.

As much as I acknowledge the climate crisis, it has been like it has now for a long time. It's only because of increased media attention. Likewise with knife crime. We had much worse knife crime 10 years ago, but due to a spate of recent stabbings, its become a big issue again. Same with climate change in a way, a few freak weather events that may or may not be connected to climate change have caused people like you to worry unnecessarily
Depending on where you live you won't have to worry? Don't dwell too far in to the future because so many different things can happen, just focus on the present. If you admire those who care for not wasting water and other stuff then that's good, get involved in like environmentally friendly stuff if it puts your mind at ease. Don't worry about the future, we don't know for sure what will happen, especially if the problem lies years ahead and you are already wary and careful with your own actions. I mean atleast you've done your part right?

Original post by Anonymous
I am becoming extremely anxious that we will run out of water within next 20-30 years. It keeps me awake at night and I am just scared.

I have an urge to start stocking up on water and I probably will as soon as I move into our new house.

Any people who are actually into the issue could tell me what the predictions actually are? can we avoid it? am I going to die from dehydration? I am s c a r e d

I am not one of those people who have ever been really involved with environment (I guess I was always too blind to see how important these issues were?). Since the climate change has started to become critical and green lifestyle more popular, I started trying to save plastic where I can, reduce wastage etc. I admire people who do and even though so far I have not been super consistent, I am now trying to become as good at zero-waste and stuff as I can. But the thought of dying from lack of water drives my anxiety absolutely crazy
a person drinking 3 litres a day for 80 years would get through about 80 000 litres.... this is 80 m3.

if it was in a cube shape it would be about 4.5m each edge, and weigh 80 tonnes.

:hat2:
well the entire population can and should control this by reducing wastage

Yeah well... the entire population isn’t doing that.

So relax.

And, if you really have an issue with water you can move to Scotland. There’s plenty of water here. It rains all the Fokin time :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by T-seriesTSR
We can never run out of water quite simply because of Ice.

but drinking water? with the population increasing and the ice melting due to climate change? I mean, it is listed as one of the main critical environmental risks to happen over the next decade, and over a half of the population is predicted to have limited access to drinking water by 2025. That is scary isn't it?

Original post by Fermion.

as of why, we didn't have water in our taps for 2 days and it was the weirdest experience ever. It was due to technical issues with local supply but not having access to water made me google predictions and seeing them, and the state of the Earth within next few years, it just made me really worried
pretty sure there's a set amount of water in the atmosphere, it's just how it's distributed. even if it's in the form of ice or water vapour, the molecules themselves won't run out, so surely we'll never be short of water...?
(edited 4 years ago)
Why are people acting like water is in limited supply lol, it's not something you "use" and is then destroyed like most materials. You "use" it, it goes through sewage into the sea, it evaporates, it falls back down as rain straight back into our reservoirs, and we then clean it again to be reused. It's the ultimate, perfectly renewable resource. So no, we will not run out of water
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Why are people acting like water is in limited supply lol, it's not something you "use" and is then destroyed like most materials. You "use" it, it goes through sewage into the sea, it evaporates, it falls back down as rain straight back into our reservoirs, and we then clean it again to be reused. It's the ultimate, perfectly renewable resource. So no, we will not run out of water

That's what I thought too. This post got me really worried, but water is entirely recyclable.

We won’t run out of water, but we may run out of freshwater. Eventually though we will end up learning to turn dirty or sea water into clean water on a much larger scale and faster too. No need to stock up on water now. If anyone dies it won’t be our generation but I can’t see it being a major problem even in the future because it’s not like we’re losing water off the planet, we will just need to learn how to clean it up and re-use it on a larger, faster scale. Hope this helps :smile:
Have you never heard of the water "cycle"?
Honestly, we'll be fine.
I personally think we're much more likely to drown due to melted ice. So, plenty of water.
Original post by MagnumKoishi

Depends where you are.If your logic were true then nobody would die of thirst.In actuality plenty do.Climate change is going to make drought more common.And you forget water is a greenhouse gas.Climate change= the planet gets hotter so water evaporates= water vapour traps heat= more water evaporates= more water vapour in the atmosphere so the planet gets even hotter and the cycle continues.Water is not much good to us in seawater or in the atmosphere either or in sewage.Its all about distribution.I'm sure England will be fine.Probably should worry if you happen to live in Africa or the middle East though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by James23121
Depends where you are.If your logic were true then nobody would die of thirst.In actuality plenty do.Climate change is going to make drought more common.And you forget water is a greenhouse gas.Climate change= the planet gets hotter so water evaporates= water vapour traps heat= more water evaporates= more water vapour in the atmosphere so the planet gets even hotter and the cycle continues.Water is not much good to us in seawater or in the atmosphere either or in sewage.Its all about distribution.I'm sure England will be fine.Probably should worry if you happen to live in Africa or the middle East though.

People die of thirst in areas where rain does not often fall, this has always been true and is nothing to do with us overusing water.
Britian will, and always will be fine providing climate change does not advance significantly. You simply can't "run out" of water, wherever there is reliable rain, water is being continuously reused

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending