The Student Room Group

What grades do universities look at?

What do universities base their conditional offers on? Are they year 12 grades (predicted for A levels?). Do they also look at GCSE grades? I want to go to a Russel group university but my GCSE grades are not that good (mainly 6s with a few 7s)
They base offers on A Level predicted or gained grades. They will only base offers on GCSE’s if they require certain grades such as a 6 in maths etc. GCSE grades don’t matter too much as long as you have maths and English Lang.
Reply 2
Original post by anijam123
What do universities base their conditional offers on? Are they year 12 grades (predicted for A levels?). Do they also look at GCSE grades? I want to go to a Russel group university but my GCSE grades are not that good (mainly 6s with a few 7s)

Mainly predicted grades. Only very few competitive universities (and for particular courses like Medicine) will look at your GCSE results to see how consistent your academic career has been (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial). For most other courses and majority of uni, they will only look at your English and Maths grades at GCSEs.
Original post by kkboyk
Mainly predicted grades. Only very few competitive universities (and for particular courses like Medicine) will look at your GCSE results to see how consistent your academic career has been (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial). For most other courses and majority of uni, they will only look at your English and Maths grades at GCSEs.

I passed my Cambridge interview with 6 GCSE’s at AABBBC. And I got an offer from Durham who wanted a grade B/6 in maths when I only had a C. So competitive unis aren’t all about GCSE grades.
Your GCSE grades are good though? Unless you want to go to Oxford or something there shouldn’t be a problem
Reply 5
Original post by JohanGRK
Depends on the course.

economics/maths
Reply 6
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
They base offers on A Level predicted or gained grades. They will only base offers on GCSE’s if they require certain grades such as a 6 in maths etc. GCSE grades don’t matter too much as long as you have maths and English Lang.

Okay, thank you!
Reply 7
Thank you, hope so!

Original post by kkboyk

Original post by OctoberRain7
Your GCSE grades are good though? Unless you want to go to Oxford or something there shouldn’t be a problem

Original post by Phoenixfeather99
I passed my Cambridge interview with 6 GCSE’s at AABBBC. And I got an offer from Durham who wanted a grade B/6 in maths when I only had a C. So competitive unis aren’t all about GCSE grades.

Thats a relief!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending