The Student Room Group

Where should I apply?

Hi,
I just did my UCAT, got 2720 and band 2.
Predicted 4 As at a level and have achieved an A* in the EPQ.
My GCSEs are:
Bio 9
Chem 8
Phys 9
Drama 9
English Lit 6
English Lang 8
Maths 7
ICT A*
History 7

I’m just really struggling to know where to apply to. I was thinking hull York as my first choice but I don’t know if my UCAT is good enough. Can anyone help please?
Original post by Uesrname2012
Hi,
I just did my UCAT, got 2720 and band 2.
Predicted 4 As at a level and have achieved an A* in the EPQ.
My GCSEs are:
Bio 9
Chem 8
Phys 9
Drama 9
English Lit 6
English Lang 8
Maths 7
ICT A*
History 7

I’m just really struggling to know where to apply to. I was thinking hull York as my first choice but I don’t know if my UCAT is good enough. Can anyone help please?

Leicester is a good shout for one that doesn’t care too much about UCAT as well as Manchester that has a holistic route for anyone below the UCAT threshold. You could also think about doing the BMAT because that makes a few other unis available. But overall your UCAT is probably good enough for most places but I would avoid ones that focus heavily on it such as Bristol. It’s true most years that you’ll be fine with a score over 650, I got 640 so did the BMAT and applied to 2 BMAT and 2 UCAT and got all 4 interviews. You just have to apply strategically
Hi guys, I just did the ucat today, im thinking of newcastle, st georges, southampton and bristol for medicine.
My scores are 3020 band 2
3A predicted.
will I have a decent chance at getting an interview?
Original post by Maybemedschool
Hi guys, I just did the ucat today, im thinking of newcastle, st georges, southampton and bristol for medicine.
My scores are 3020 band 2
3A predicted.
will I have a decent chance at getting an interview?

If you get over a certain UCAT you’re guaranteed an interview at Bristol and I would think yours would be good enough. If your personal statement and references are good I’d say you have a good shot at the others too
Original post by ceesawcola
Leicester is a good shout for one that doesn’t care too much about UCAT as well as Manchester that has a holistic route for anyone below the UCAT threshold. You could also think about doing the BMAT because that makes a few other unis available. But overall your UCAT is probably good enough for most places but I would avoid ones that focus heavily on it such as Bristol. It’s true most years that you’ll be fine with a score over 650, I got 640 so did the BMAT and applied to 2 BMAT and 2 UCAT and got all 4 interviews. You just have to apply strategically

Thank you for your response. I don’t want to sit the BMAT so do you think Hull-York, Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool would be safe options? Sorry to bug you, I just don’t know anyone else doing medicine and my schools not the most supportive
Thank you for your response. I don’t want to sit the BMAT so do you think Hull-York, Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool would be safe options? Sorry to bug you, I just don’t know anyone else doing medicine and my schools not the most supportive

It’s fine I’m happy to help, I remember how stressful I found it last year. I’d say you have a good chance at an interview for these places based on your UCAT. This website will help you work out how they will use your score and how highly they value it in the application process if you scroll down.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ukcat/
Reply 6

There is a whole thread just for these sort of questions
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending