The Student Room Group

I have been terminated from uni what are my options now

Hello, I have just been terminated from uni and not sure what my options are now.I have finished my second year repeat year and thought I was doing well. I failed 1 module and repeated it I don't think I passed. I am 21 years old.I don't want to go back to university anyway. I think I was doing it to make my parents happy. Does anyone know what i can do.Thanks

Also I lived off student finance and worked some agency jobs. I have been applying jobs for a year however I was always unsuccessful.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What was your course?
Did you gain any sort of qualification for your time at uni? Perhaps look for an apprenticeship?
Original post by Anonymous
What was your course?

Law with criminology
Original post by 5picyduck
Did you gain any sort of qualification for your time at uni? Perhaps look for an apprenticeship?

I'm not sure as they are refusing what I got... Saying there is something called an 'exit award' if I am eligible. which I don't think I will be.

I've looked online for an apprenticeship but most of them are dated back in August for the deadline :frown:
Original post by pinkypretty_x
I'm not sure as they are refusing what I got... Saying there is something called an 'exit award' if I am eligible. which I don't think I will be.

I've looked online for an apprenticeship but most of them are dated back in August for the deadline :frown:

Which university did you attend? You will probably be eligible for the higher education certificate as well as any credits you've completed.
Apprentices appear all the time so keep having a look, or take a couple of months to think about what you would like to do. If you have an idea of where you might like to work then everything should fall in to place for the next steps.
Original post by 5picyduck
Which university did you attend? You will probably be eligible for the higher education certificate as well as any credits you've completed.
Apprentices appear all the time so keep having a look, or take a couple of months to think about what you would like to do. If you have an idea of where you might like to work then everything should fall in to place for the next steps.

Kingston university and tbh I've been looking for so long it's starting to feel like nothing is going to fall into place. My mums down my throat about EVERYTHING as I haven't told her yet. Telling me to get a job etc when I have been for a whole year lmao. I just seem and feel useless

Just to get this clear. How many years of student finance did you use?

Year 1 passed?
Year 2 failed first sit- failed second sit.
Retake of year 2 - failed again and withdrawn?

Were there any reasons why you failed health or MH, family issues.

Just checking to see if theres any chance of rescuing it by going elsewhere, such as a credit transfer to the OU or whether there were real reasons why you failed and you might get more funding?

If you arent interested and you passed year one, then they should award a cert he.
Which was the module that caused issues and why?

In any event go and see or talk to a careers advisor at your uni or National careers advisor and figure out what you want.
I will add some links for apprenticeships but all the major job sites have them.
They will occur through the year.

Might be hard but it could be a good things if it forces you down a path to choose something you actually like.
Will save this thread and see if I can add anything at the weekend.
Original post by 999tigger
Just to get this clear. How many years of student finance did you use?

Year 1 passed?
Year 2 failed first sit- failed second sit.
Retake of year 2 - failed again and withdrawn?

Were there any reasons why you failed health or MH, family issues.

Just checking to see if theres any chance of rescuing it by going elsewhere, such as a credit transfer to the OU or whether there were real reasons why you failed and you might get more funding?

If you arent interested and you passed year one, then they should award a cert he.
Which was the module that caused issues and why?

In any event go and see or talk to a careers advisor at your uni or National careers advisor and figure out what you want.
I will add some links for apprenticeships but all the major job sites have them.
They will occur through the year.

Might be hard but it could be a good things if it forces you down a path to choose something you actually like.
Will save this thread and see if I can add anything at the weekend.

yes you're correct. Second year I stopped going completely as my aunt passed away and a very close family friend did. Retake of second year, my ex boyfriend started stalking me, he broke my laptop and a lot of other things. But the uni were aware and still didn't give me any mitigating circumstances despite a doctors note & police report. I think it's also due to my attendance - but lecturers were aware and always marked me in.

I think I failed because of family issues - my mum was always kicking me out for silly reasons so that had a huge effect on me as well as depression and anxiety.

In the email I received they stated that I can't use any of their facilities anymore because I am no longer a student :frown: Everything I wanted to do relies on getting a degree too.

I think at this point I just want to find work because I have bills to pay up to £440 and I used my agency job (which doesn't have shifts anymore) and Student Finance to budget and pay them off every month. Now I don't have any money idk what to do either.

Thank you very much! That would be very helpful
yes you're correct. Second year I stopped going completely as my aunt passed away and a very close family friend did. Retake of second year, my ex boyfriend started stalking me, he broke my laptop and a lot of other things. But the uni were aware and still didn't give me any mitigating circumstances despite a doctors note & police report. I think it's also due to my attendance - but lecturers were aware and always marked me in.

I think I failed because of family issues - my mum was always kicking me out for silly reasons so that had a huge effect on me as well as depression and anxiety.

In the email I received they stated that I can't use any of their facilities anymore because I am no longer a student :frown: Everything I wanted to do relies on getting a degree too.

I think at this point I just want to find work because I have bills to pay up to £440 and I used my agency job (which doesn't have shifts anymore) and Student Finance to budget and pay them off every month. Now I don't have any money idk what to do either.

Thank you very much! That would be very helpful

Did these issues happen over the first attempt at second year or have they continued into this most recent resit year?
You have evidence for year 2 but what about this last year?
Trying to work out whether theres any scope for further finance.
If you were doing the degree again would you do the same?
Do you want a degree?

SFE can award you up to 60 days discretionary payment or you will have to contact CAB and get on the benefits system asap or get a job. As Universal credit wont pay out till 6 weeks, then a temp job is needed.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/About-Us/Contact-us
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/
Did these issues happen over the first attempt at second year or have they continued into this most recent resit year?
You have evidence for year 2 but what about this last year?
Trying to work out whether theres any scope for further finance.
If you were doing the degree again would you do the same?
Do you want a degree?

SFE can award you up to 60 days discretionary payment or you will have to contact CAB and get on the benefits system asap or get a job. As Universal credit wont pay out till 6 weeks, then a temp job is needed.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/About-Us/Contact-us
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/

They continued and I had evidence but it wasn't enough for them apparently. And If i was doing the degree again I would be better. It's just I keep finding myself in situations I don't know how to handle, instead of asking for help I just zone out which I know isnt very good.

I do want a degree but I do want to be happy and successful. And in order to do that I think I do need a degree but rn I don't think thats even a possibility. (getting a degree)

Can I be on eligible for benefits if I was a student? I've been trying to get a job for a year now I am always unsuccessful :frown: but I apply to new jobs everyday.

Thank you for your help very much appreciate it
They continued and I had evidence but it wasn't enough for them apparently. And If i was doing the degree again I would be better. It's just I keep finding myself in situations I don't know how to handle, instead of asking for help I just zone out which I know isnt very good.

I do want a degree but I do want to be happy and successful. And in order to do that I think I do need a degree but rn I don't think thats even a possibility. (getting a degree)

Can I be on eligible for benefits if I was a student? I've been trying to get a job for a year now I am always unsuccessful :frown: but I apply to new jobs everyday.

Thank you for your help very much appreciate it

Are you somehow going to a local university and you dont have accommodation to worry about?
One of the most common failures of people with mh issues is not asking for help or hiding/ burying their heads in the sand. Worse strategy you can follow.

Cooking dinner at the moment, but drop me a pm and will see if I cna help.

If you are at home or stable in your accommodation then you wont have a student house to worry about or do you?

Once your accommodation is stable you will have to get a job.

You can apply for benefits now as you are no longer a student. Not much but might make the difference.

You should be awarded a certhe which is equivalent to a HNC first year of uni.

As for student finance it normally goes degree length +1 gift year.

So yours would be:

Degree+1
First year takes it to degree+0
Second year takes it to degree-1
Repeat second year takes it to degree -2.
That means they will pay fees from year 3 onwards or final year in most cases.

You can make an appeal for compelling personal reasons. If you have enough evidence and GPs letter then you can be awarded one years finance back so you could try for two, years but lest say you are successful with one CPR claim.

Finance would then go to degree-1 i.e they will pay for year 2 onwards.

As you have a cerrthe, then you just have to find someone to take a transfer to year 2 and onwards.

The alternative is to transfer credits to the OU for first year and see if they will take your second year credits, except one module. Resit that module/ pay for it and then finish year 3 as normal. I dont know if OU will take partial years credits? It would make it possible to get a degree when you are ready though.

Those are the things I would be looking at. Not easy but then you got yourself into a tricky situation, but worth pursuing. Not pleasant but you just have to start dealng with it. You still have some chances.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/apply/credit-transfer
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908
Are you somehow going to a local university and you dont have accommodation to worry about?
One of the most common failures of people with mh issues is not asking for help or hiding/ burying their heads in the sand. Worse strategy you can follow.

Cooking dinner at the moment, but drop me a pm and will see if I cna help.

If you are at home or stable in your accommodation then you wont have a student house to worry about or do you?

Once your accommodation is stable you will have to get a job.

You can apply for benefits now as you are no longer a student. Not much but might make the difference.

You should be awarded a certhe which is equivalent to a HNC first year of uni.

As for student finance it normally goes degree length +1 gift year.

So yours would be:

Degree+1
First year takes it to degree+0
Second year takes it to degree-1
Repeat second year takes it to degree -2.
That means they will pay fees from year 3 onwards or final year in most cases.

You can make an appeal for compelling personal reasons. If you have enough evidence and GPs letter then you can be awarded one years finance back so you could try for two, years but lest say you are successful with one CPR claim.

Finance would then go to degree-1 i.e they will pay for year 2 onwards.

As you have a cerrthe, then you just have to find someone to take a transfer to year 2 and onwards.

The alternative is to transfer credits to the OU for first year and see if they will take your second year credits, except one module. Resit that module/ pay for it and then finish year 3 as normal. I dont know if OU will take partial years credits? It would make it possible to get a degree when you are ready though.

Those are the things I would be looking at. Not easy but then you got yourself into a tricky situation, but worth pursuing. Not pleasant but you just have to start dealng with it. You still have some chances.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/apply/credit-transfer
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

My university is in my city but very far from me, plus you have to pay for the accommodation.

How do I go about getting finance back?

Also I will take a look at the OU sounds better than anything else, but will do when I sort myself out. I was also looking at some apprenticeships.

Yeah I need to stop hiding myself and get out there. Nothing will happen for itself.

I will PM you now. Thank you x
My university is in my city but very far from me, plus you have to pay for the accommodation.

How do I go about getting finance back?

Also I will take a look at the OU sounds better than anything else, but will do when I sort myself out. I was also looking at some apprenticeships.

Yeah I need to stop hiding myself and get out there. Nothing will happen for itself.

I will PM you now. Thank you x

Wont get round to it till the weekend but have set out above your options.
You can try and get 1 years funding back by a compelling personal reasons claim as explained in the link above.
One is possible but I think two is unlikely.

OU is distance learning, but at this stage just having a degree is better than what you face.
Transfer to kent they accept you
I got terminated from uni as well after failing my exams. There’s many options
You can either do another course but from what you said you’d much rather not?
You can get a job and going through agencies is the best way to do this
I don’t know how apprenticeships work but I’m sure you’ll be fine
If you already have the a level grades most places will take you on
Hello, I have just been terminated from uni and not sure what my options are now.I have finished my second year repeat year and thought I was doing well. I failed 1 module and repeated it I don't think I passed. I am 21 years old.I don't want to go back to university anyway. I think I was doing it to make my parents happy. Does anyone know what i can do.Thanks

Also I lived off student finance and worked some agency jobs. I have been applying jobs for a year however I was always unsuccessful.

McDonalds is a strong option. They do apprenticeships there.
Original post by Anonymous
I got terminated from uni as well after failing my exams. There’s many options
You can either do another course but from what you said you’d much rather not?
You can get a job and going through agencies is the best way to do this
I don’t know how apprenticeships work but I’m sure you’ll be fine
If you already have the a level grades most places will take you on

I'm already repeat second year I can't do another course as the state wont fund me.
Could you give me a list of agencies? I've applied to some however it's been a week and haven't heard back from them.
Thank you!
Also what do you do now? and how old are you?
Original post by mmatiene1
McDonalds is a strong option. They do apprenticeships there.

Thanks
Original post by Rozaylyd
Transfer to kent they accept you

I doubt they will. I don't think I got any credits

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending