The Student Room Group

Economics with AAA

When looking at Economic courses i can't see nearly any within the top 20 asking for AAA. I see a lot of A*AA eg LSE UCL Durham, but nothing asking for AAA or below until around 18th with Edinburgh (AAA-ABB). Any thoughts on if i would get in with AAA for the top 10 ish? And where should I apply to if not?
AS grades: Chem A, Phys A, Maths A.
GCSE: A*A*A*AAAAAABB
my predicted grades are currently BCD but will be asking to change these after my AS grades.
(I might get an A* in maths but its unlikely so im considering realistically what uni i could go to)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy673340
When looking at Economic courses i can't see nearly any within the top 20 asking for AAA. I see a lot of A*AA eg LSE UCL Durham, but nothing asking for AAA or below until around 18th with Edinburgh (AAA-ABB). Any thoughts on if i would get in with AAA for the top 10 ish? And where should I apply to if not?
my predicted grades are currently BCD but will be asking to change these after my AS grades.
(I might get an A* in maths but its unlikely so im considering realistically what uni i could go to)

Leeds
Original post by replyplzbish
Leeds

thankyou!
Reply 3

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2020/germanandeconomics

There are a lot of joint honours courses at Warwick requiring AAB/AAA
I'm doing econ and did maths, chem, phys and fmaths. Bristol uni offered me AAB as a contextual offer (this is a top 5 uni for more mathematical econ courses, close to Warwick so I was well chuffed). Southampton and Birmingham offered me AAB and AAA respectively. They were all originaly AAA but as Bristol is by far the best one I chose it as my firm. Lots of top unis ask for an A* in maths, so those aren't likely to change their offers much but most of the top 20 can offer lower offers then the A*AA which is advertised. I got A*AAA, which is what i was predicted, I didn't look at entry requirements tbh, just at which unis were good at econ (so I had southampton and birmingham as my safety choices).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Isaia
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2020/germanandeconomics

There are a lot of joint honours courses at Warwick requiring AAB/AAA

Thankyou for your comment, I can't see any on their websites other than language ones, which I am not interested in.
Reply 6
Thankyou for your comment, I can't see any on their websites other than language ones, which I am not interested in.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/economics/economics-bsc/

Economics at St Andrews is AAA
Original post by Crapaud8
I'm doing econ and did maths, chem, phys and fmaths. Bristol uni offered me AAB as a contextual offer (this is a top 5 uni for more mathematical econ courses, close to Warwick so I was well chuffed). Southampton and Birmingham offered me AAB and AAA respectively. They were all originaly A*AA but as Bristol is by far the best one I chose it as my firm. Lots of top unis ask for an A* in maths, so those aren't likely to change their offers much but most of the top 20 can offer lower offers then the A*AA which is publicised. I got A*AAA, which is what i was predicted, I didn't look at entry requirements tbh, just at which unis were good at econ (so I had southampton and birmingham as my safety choices).

I don't think im eligible for the contextual offer, therefore you think i need the A* in maths?
Here are some questions i have, feel free to ignore me if you do not wish to answer.
How are you finding your course? Any plans on what you want to do afterwards?

don't bother applying to oxbridge lse, ucl and warwick for econ bcus they'll insta reject you if you don't have the predicted grades. if you get AAA predicted it'd be worth applying to some like Durham, Bristol, Notts, Bath, Exeter, etc as they're likely to still consider you with one grade below the requirements - they'd still probably offer you A*AA tho. for exeter specifically they actually tend to offer AAA if you firm it and A*AA if you insure it, just so yk

thanks!! I will consider st andrews however it's very far from where I live, and i would prefer to be located at a pretty lively city.
Original post by adamdubs
don't bother applying to oxbridge lse, ucl and warwick for econ bcus they'll insta reject you if you don't have the predicted grades. if you get AAA predicted it'd be worth applying to some like Durham, Bristol, Notts, Bath, Exeter, etc as they're likely to still consider you with one grade below the requirements - they'd still probably offer you A*AA tho. for exeter specifically they actually tend to offer AAA if you firm it and A*AA if you insure it, just so yk

Thanks, i think I'll get the AAA preidcted if im honest. Do you really think they value predicted grades so high as to reject me instantly just because I'm one grade off? (I am not considering oxbridge, as i know i wont get in)
I don't think im eligible for the contextual offer, therefore you think i need the A* in maths?
Here are some questions i have, feel free to ignore me if you do not wish to answer.

I'm actually about to start so I have no clue what it's gonna be like. However, I can tell you that i started sixth form thinking i would do engineering but kinda felt that econ would be more interesting. I'm kinda scared as i've never done econ before. I want to try to go into development economics and would like to do something international like working for the UN or IMF but I know most of those jobs require masters/phd.
I'm actually about to start so I have no clue what it's gonna be like. However, I can tell you that i started sixth form thinking i would do engineering but kinda felt that econ would be more interesting. I'm kinda scared as i've never done econ before. I want to try to go into development economics and would like to do something international like working for the UN or IMF but I know most of those jobs require masters/phd.

Thanks. Was also considering engineering (and physics and maths). Hope you have a good time at uni!

Thanks. Was also considering engineering (and physics and maths). Hope you have a good time at uni!

Yeah thanks, just apply for 2 or 3 A*AA unis which you like then 2 or 3 unis which require AAA or AAB and you'll be fine.
Yeah thanks, just apply for 2 or 3 A*AA unis which you like then 2 or 3 unis which require AAA or AAB and you'll be fine.

what AAA/AAB unis do you recommend? someone mentioned Leed and st andrews?
Thanks, i think I'll get the AAA preidcted if im honest. Do you really think they value predicted grades so high as to reject me instantly just because I'm one grade off? (I am not considering oxbridge, as i know i wont get in)

You get 5 choices so you can afford to take a risk with a couple - lots of unis saying they want A*AA will make offers to people predicted AAA.

My suggestion for an Insurance choice is Lancaster as they have an excellent business school and only want AAB but Leeds is a good shout for a livelier city

@returnmigrant may be able to comment about Bristol
(edited 4 years ago)
What's the very worst results you think you might get? AAA? AAB? ABB? BBB? I know York lets people in with ABB but probably not worth using them as one of your options as they are still in clearing now for Economics all these weeks later.
Original post by harrysbar
You get 5 choices so you can afford to take a risk with a couple - lots of unis saying they want A*AA will make offers to people predicted AAA.

My suggestion for an Insurance choice is Lancaster as they have an excellent business school and only want AAB but Leeds is a good shout for a livelier city

@returnmigrant may be able to comment about Bristol

Thankyou very much! Do you agree whith what someone said that this doesn't apply to top unis eg lse?
Original post by replyplzbish
What's the very worst results you think you might get? AAA? AAB? ABB? BBB? I know York lets people in with ABB but probably not worth using them as one of your options as they are still in clearing now for Economics all these weeks later.

Honestly I dont know, my AS where a bit of a shock to me, but I want to capitalise on my good grades and push for tge absolute top grades I can get. Therefore I feel in some way that is is likely that I will atleast maintain the AAA grades. However a B in chemistry is likely as o simply hate the subject. So maybe AAB?
Honestly I dont know, my AS where a bit of a shock to me, but I want to capitalise on my good grades and push for tge absolute top grades I can get. Therefore I feel in some way that is is likely that I will atleast maintain the AAA grades. However a B in chemistry is likely as o simply hate the subject. So maybe AAB?

And thanks for the york recommendation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending