The Student Room Group

high grades (45 predicted IB), 30th percentile UCAT (2630)

I am finding it hard to identify 4 schools to apply to. Is it risky to apply to Glasgow (2680 cutoff in 2018), Manchester (30th percentile cutoff) and Sheffield (2630 got you invited)? Manchester also invites about 500 students to interview based on their grades/personal statement, if they do not meet the 30th percentile cutoff. Is that a process I could rely on? How do they manage to process so many applications if they do look at them carefully?
Wait how do you know your percentile yet, if interim scores aren't out yet? or are they, and did i miss them? Anyway i got a similar score ish of 2690 and i'm applying to manchester and Sheffield. Sheffield usually has lower UCAT boundaries so im not too worried. Manchester is a risk, just in case the interim reports show my percentile to be low. Lol i'm sorry if it wasnt helpful, i feel like i'm in a rly similar situation to you. Except im an international student so. aaaaaaa
Reply 2
Original post by sbaboenerd
Wait how do you know your percentile yet, if interim scores aren't out yet? or are they, and did i miss them? Anyway i got a similar score ish of 2690 and i'm applying to manchester and Sheffield. Sheffield usually has lower UCAT boundaries so im not too worried. Manchester is a risk, just in case the interim reports show my percentile to be low. Lol i'm sorry if it wasnt helpful, i feel like i'm in a rly similar situation to you. Except im an international student so. aaaaaaa

Manchester offer an interview to those in the top 1/3, approximately (so 67th centile and up), Sheffield have required a score between the 71st and 73rd centile for an interview, so Sheffield have had higher requirements for the last 3 years.
2690 would have made Manchester's cut off the last 2 years, would have made Sheffield's last year and was the actual cut off the year before, so check where you fall on the deciles before making final decisions.
Original post by GANFYD
Manchester offer an interview to those in the top 1/3, approximately (so 67th centile and up), Sheffield have required a score between the 71st and 73rd centile for an interview, so Sheffield have had higher requirements for the last 3 years.
2690 would have made Manchester's cut off the last 2 years, would have made Sheffield's last year and was the actual cut off the year before, so check where you fall on the deciles before making final decisions.

Decile Rank 2019
(to 6 Sept)
1st 2230
2nd 2340
3rd 2420
4th 2480
5th 2540
6th 2600
7th 2670
8th 2750
9th 2860

This looks pretty promising doesn't it, so it looks like i'll make it YAY.
Reply 4
Decile Rank 2019
(to 6 Sept)
1st 2230
2nd 2340
3rd 2420
4th 2480
5th 2540
6th 2600
7th 2670
8th 2750
9th 2860

This looks pretty promising doesn't it, so it looks like i'll make it YAY.

Yes, it looks good at the moment, and deciles usually drop a little between now and the end of testing
Reply 5

Hi, they are just out today. The average score is a tiny bit lower than last year's interim results.
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1327/2019-preliminary-mean-scores-sept-2019.pdf
IMO Manchester sounds safe for you (plus there is anyway that alternate route for low ucats).
Dundee has nice interview/applicant and acceptance/applicant for international students.
Original post by Mom2
Hi, they are just out today. The average score is a tiny bit lower than last year's interim results.
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1327/2019-preliminary-mean-scores-sept-2019.pdf
IMO Manchester sounds safe for you (plus there is anyway that alternate route for low ucats).
Dundee has nice interview/applicant and acceptance/applicant for international students.

Yeah i saw that. i'm applying to manchester. Dundee's fees is slightly too much because they have the scottish university tax thingie otherwise i was gonna apply for it. Anyway i'm pretty satisfied with my situation. Still applying to sheffield even tho ik its a bit of a risk. lul. Also st. Andrews, and Newcastle. Again newcastle is a bit of a risk. But ik i'll almost definitely get an interview from manchester because of their ucat threshold thing. And depending on previous years i might from Newcastle too. Apparently it depends on their candidates each year.
Original post by Mom2
I am finding it hard to identify 4 schools to apply to. Is it risky to apply to Glasgow (2680 cutoff in 2018), Manchester (30th percentile cutoff) and Sheffield (2630 got you invited)? Manchester also invites about 500 students to interview based on their grades/personal statement, if they do not meet the 30th percentile cutoff. Is that a process I could rely on? How do they manage to process so many applications if they do look at them carefully?

So what are u planning to apply to now that the deciles are out. (god this is a stressful process tho)
Reply 8
Hi, we are on the limit, so now are waiting for the October final results to decide whether we can take the risk of applying to the Scottish unis (Dundee, Glasgow, StAndrews). It's a big risk to take at the 30th percentile for UCATs. International students have a fixed number of spots I believe, so not sure if they are lumped with the others, so this probably does not apply to you. I.e. what may matter to you is your rank relative to other internationals on the UCATs.

I didn't know Dundee was more expensive than the other Scottish schools for internationals.

We are considering Cardiff now as a substitute for Manchester.[post="85306050"]save[/post]
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending