The Student Room Group

Daughter wanting to move out of halls

Hi All, hopefully someone can help!My daughter has only just been at Uni a week but is so homesick and wanting to move back home.She still wants to do the course and commute by train .I know she will still have to pay the rent (Approx £6k) her maintenance grant is approx £9k.Would she be better not saying anything taking the £3k excess and using this for commuting or speak to Student Finance and get a reduced maintenance grant, this in the scenario she can’t get someone to take the accommodation over?Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
You have to tell SFE and they’ll probably send you a repayment form. If you don’t then they will find out which will just cause problems.
if she’s only been at uni a week you definitely should not do anything right now. she’s got to give it at least a month i would say. homesickness is normal but she will get over it. she has to move out eventually after all.

you will have to pay for the accommodation even if she’s not living in it (if no one takes it over) so i would keep the maintenance loan as she’d be living at home but still paying for halls.

i still would advise that she waits it out a bit before making rash decisions.
Thanks!
She’s still wanting to do the course but live at home.
If I’m thinking correct she will still be allowed a lower maintenance loan which should cover the accommodation costs if she can’t get someone to take over her accommodation .
I'd definitely try and get her to give it a go for a few more weeks. I absolutely hated my first few weeks in halls and would have done anything to have left, but after about a month I really started to enjoy it.

It's only been a week so make sure this is something she 100% wants to do and that she realises that commuting can sometimes make it difficult to properly integrate into university life.
Reply 5
Commuting will suck and she'll hate the time it takes, then hate the course, and will almost definitely end up quitting.

It's been a week. That's nothing.
Original post by Worried Parent99
Thanks!
If I’m thinking correct she will still be allowed a lower maintenance loan which should cover the accommodation costs if she can’t get someone to take over her accommodation .

Please tell her to stick it out a bit longer. It is early days and you should not be making it easy for her to just move back. [Btw, I'm a parent with a graduate son].

Be honest about the loan because it will be obvious if she's not living in.
Thanks for the advice everyone she’s going to stay a month see how it goes
Hi All, hopefully someone can help!My daughter has only just been at Uni a week but is so homesick and wanting to move back home.She still wants to do the course and commute by train .I know she will still have to pay the rent (Approx £6k) her maintenance grant is approx £9k.Would she be better not saying anything taking the £3k excess and using this for commuting or speak to Student Finance and get a reduced maintenance grant, this in the scenario she can’t get someone to take the accommodation over?Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Considering she has had 2 years to think about this, then its a shame to see plans come off the rails within a week?
Did she do anything to prepare for this?

Homesickness is common.
Serious cases of it also not uncommon, but within that group some stick it out adjust and thrive whilst others do not.
Becoming independent and learning new social skills is no bad thing.

How far will she be commuting?

For the moment if she is determined to leave then she should do her best to find a replacement. Speak to accommodation and depending on Uni there may be a queue. Whilst she is paying why doesnt she just see what her lectures are like then just use it as a hotel as she is paying i.e stay and use it a few nights a week, unless she believes her flat is the issue and all her flatmates are mean.

The chances of finding someone else I would think are reasonable this early on. I think she would be allowed to keep the finance until she formally moves out and is only commuting from home. By that time she should have found someone.
Thanks!

Tell her, to stick it out for the semester, being home sick is quite common, tbh to get the most out of uni I think she's best off trying to power through now (maybe even not coming home for like 4 weeks to get acclimatised) If in a few weeks time shes still desperate to leave, then look for a solution in January but its basically just been a couple of days atm.
Thanks for the advice everyone she’s going to stay a month see how it goes

Please don't make it easy for her to give up - many people miss home this early.
She would be commuting about thirty miles. She has three days a week at uni and the cost would be £14 per commute via train obviously £42/week.
Her thinking is if she stays and she doesn’t like there’s less chance of someone wanting the accommodation .
Just a quick update, thanks to everyone who answered.
She moved back to her hometown uni and started on a similar course and is now very happy and settled .She managed to just pay for a two week stay in the halls (approx £270) .
She is now living at home a lot happier and got an adjusted maintenance loan( still very generous).
I guess the moral is living away from home is not for everyone and her mental health and happiness trumps anything .
If anyone is in a similar situation please don’t panic like I did, there is lots of support out there.
Thanks everyone
Hi my daughter is in a similar situation is there any way to get out of the accommodation as she's paying around £600 a month and has a maintenance loan but has been staying with me as the girls she shares with aren't nice to her and leave her out.
Original post by srlewis11
Hi my daughter is in a similar situation is there any way to get out of the accommodation as she's paying around £600 a month and has a maintenance loan but has been staying with me as the girls she shares with aren't nice to her and leave her out.

Unfortunately not liking your flat mates is not a valid reason to terminate a tenancy agreement, and is part of the risk you take when you rent with people you don’t know.

Realistically she will most likely have to try to find a replacement tenant or a swap.
Original post by mnot
Unfortunately not liking your flat mates is not a valid reason to terminate a tenancy agreement, and is part of the risk you take when you rent with people you don’t know.

Realistically she will most likely have to try to find a replacement tenant or a swap.

Thanks that is what I told her. IlShe has been home also worrying about me as I suffer from terrible anxiety and depression and stupidly took an overdose and her brother has Asperger's and she helps with my 7 year old. I don't know if there is any way they would allow her to end her tenancy under these circumstances. I'm feeling more anxious knowing that she isn't happy there
Original post by srlewis11
Thanks that is what I told her. She has been home also worrying about me as I suffer from terrible anxiety and depression and stupidly took an overdose and her brother has Asperger's and she helps with my 7 year old. I don't know if there is any way they would allow her to end her tenancy under these circumstances. I'm feeling more anxious knowing that she isn't happy there

If she has personal reasons to leave the accommodation she will be best off going to the SU (student union) and asking if they can help, sometimes they can lobby for goodwill on the students behalf.

Anything they offer would be at their discretion, the surrounding circumstances are unrelated to the contract & the tenancy so would have no bearing on what your daughter is entitled to.
Hi just wondering how your daughter got on? Did she stick with Halls? Asking as my son is starting uni in September and I'm worried how he's going to settle as he struggles socially x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending