The Student Room Group

Communicating and Influencing-Civil service job application/interview

Hi Everyone,

looking at the civil service applications and I don't quite understand this behaviour/competency which is 'Communicating and influencing'. What kinds of example may I use for this, I've done coaching/mentoring and some team leading. Can someone please let me know if I am going in the right direction and please give me any tips as I seem lost where to start?

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by sonasona
Hi Everyone,

looking at the civil service applications and I don't quite understand this behaviour/competency which is 'Communicating and influencing'. What kinds of example may I use for this, I've done coaching/mentoring and some team leading. Can someone please let me know if I am going in the right direction and please give me any tips as I seem lost where to start?

thank you

You need to think of an occasion when you have put forward information and ideas that has changed an outcome, ie what you have communicated has influenced the thinking of an organisation/informal group/individual so that they have taken a different course of action. I would say your example would come out of the team leadership; what did this involve?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
You need to think of an occasion when you have put forward information and ideas that has changed an outcome, ie what you have communicated has influenced the thinking of an organisation/informal group/individual so that they have taken a different course of action. I would say your example would come out of the team leadership; what did this involve?

thank you Surnia, it was leading a team of volunteers on phone lines. another example is when I was recruiting a team of volunteers. and recently got some experience as a group coordinator which supports the team and I have to communicate with the manager frequently.
Reply 3
thank you Surnia, it was leading a team of volunteers on phone lines. another example is when I was recruiting a team of volunteers. and recently got some experience as a group coordinator which supports the team and I have to communicate with the manager frequently.

So, have you changed the way the volunteers/team do things, or got management to, eg introduced new policies or training? If so, was there a tangible result to which you could refer? You could say, for example, that new policies were written, but was there anything like cost savings, increase in sales?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
So, have you changed the way the volunteers/team do things, or got management to, eg introduced new policies or training? If so, was there a tangible result to which you could refer? You could say, for example, that new policies were written, but was there anything like cost savings, increase in sales?

I did increase funding after changes to the way training was done. I always thought that for new policies to be written you have to be quite senior or is that incorrect?

would you be able to look at my competed example if you don't mind thanks
Reply 5
I did increase funding after changes to the way training was done. I always thought that for new policies to be written you have to be quite senior or is that incorrect?

would you be able to look at my competed example if you don't mind thanks

The funding one sounds good and yes I'm happy to have a look at your wording :smile:

Sorry, do you mean being senior in the Civil Service to write new policies? Not really. Policies is a general word I've used and anyone can put forward changes to, for example, their terms of reference or propose a more efficient way of doing things. I've been in the Armed Forces and MOD Civil Service and throughout my career I have written and ended up implementing all kinds of technical proposals, business plans, quality improvements, amendments to engineering procedures. What role are you applying for?
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
The funding one sounds good and yes I'm happy to have a look at your wording :smile:

Sorry, do you mean being senior in the Civil Service to write new policies? Not really. Policies is a general word I've used and anyone can put forward changes to, for example, their terms of reference or propose a more efficient way of doing things. I've been in the Armed Forces and MOD Civil Service and throughout my career I have written and ended up implementing all kinds of technical proposals, business plans, quality improvements, amendments to engineering procedures. What role are you applying for?

thank you Surnia. I meant to make 'changes to policy/policies', I thought usually only senior staff can give their opinions. But i do understand now that anyone can make changes or at least inform their manager of something that should be changed in a policy.

i'm applying for Asylum Operations - HEO Customer Experience Managers. Thank you for your support with this, I will forward you my example in a few days time. best wishes
Reply 7
Great, I'll watch out for your draft!

Just to show you how things can work: I joined the Civil Service as an HPTO as I was a qualified engineer. In my first job I ran a project to try and reduce the occurence of a particular fault on RAF aircraft engines. I worked with industry and we came up with a list of proposals, of which my bosses agreed to the 3 big hitters. I then had to write new instructions for engine maintenace and test manuals and get them all published and distributed, and get new engine parts introduced. Plus, you can put forward a suggestion at any time, and there is the quality assurance system allows people to formally suggest changes to documents and procedures. H grade comes with plenty of scope to make your mark!
Reply 8
Hi Everyone,

thank you

Hey,

This is one of the toughest industries I've had to build a cv for. The competencies are next to none even though I could say we know the work ,the way they want us to structure it isn't the best .

I'm actually working on mine now for send off the 18th if you want we can collaborate/share ideas.

Muva

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending