The Student Room Group

How expensive is a wedding?

No intention of getting married, I'm a 17 year old guy! But anyways, heard of a woman taking a £5k engagement ring by saying yes than cutting off all ties with the man. Got me wondering, how expensive would it be to get married?

I would want a wedding where
-the hall can seat around 300 people
-Parking
-catering
-Nice wedding ring

That's it really, and a good suit and dress for bride.

Scroll to see replies

No idea as for the specifics of your question, but apparently the median cost of a UK wedding was £30k last year.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe1000000
No idea as for the specifics of your question, but apparently the median cost of a UK wedding was £30k last year.

It makes me wonder is there really any point? I wouldn't want a loan as that would be crazy and if I had £30k cash I'd use it to put down a deposit (or part of it) for a family home anyways
Reply 3
For me, getting my nikkah done at the mosque should cost £0.00.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It makes me wonder is there really any point? I wouldn't want a loan as that would be crazy and if I had £30k cash I'd use it to put down a deposit (or part of it) for a family home anyways

No, there is no point.
Use your money wisely and don't spend money you don't have (i.e. no loans.)
Reply 5
Original post by -Quava-
No, there is no point.
Use your money wisely and don't spend money you don't have (i.e. no loans.)

Thats pretty much my views as well. From what I've heard the first investment a person should make is to pay off debt. I don't want to create any debt for myself unless I'm buying a house and it's the mortgage.
Reply 6
Thats pretty much my views as well. From what I've heard the first investment a person should make is to pay off debt. I don't want to create any debt for myself unless I'm buying a house and it's the mortgage.

Don't get yourself in to debt over a wedding. What you do want is a nice house for you and your wife to live in and you can't throw that in the bin for a party that will last a few hours.
Probably around £12,000.
A lot more if you use a wedding planner, hire a high profile wedding venue for the day or buy a very expensive pair of wedding rings.
Reply 8
Marriage is a strange, needless practice that adds unnecessary stress and pressure on everybody involved.
Original post by londonmyst
Probably around £12,000.
A lot more if you use a wedding planner, hire a high profile wedding venue for the day or buy a very expensive pair of wedding rings.

I would say higher.
In my opinion it would be closer to £15,000.
Original post by -Quava-
Don't get yourself in to debt over a wedding. What you do want is a nice house for you and your wife to live in and you can't throw that in the bin for a party that will last a few hours.

That is spot on, personally agree 100%
Probably around £12,000.

Being asian I guess it'll be a lot more expensive, but just generally yes I'd agree
Original post by JICMB77
Marriage is a strange, needless practice that adds unnecessary stress and pressure on everybody involved.

So would you ever have a marriage?
Original post by -Quava-
For me, getting my nikkah done at the mosque should cost £0.00.

If that's your plan avoid the London ones. :tongue:
Several friends have been charged £300-350, with free insults about their jewellery or relatives wedding outfits not looking expensive enough.
If that's your plan avoid the London ones. :tongue:
Several friends have been charged £300-350, with free insults about their jewellery or relatives wedding outfits not looking expensive enough.

I was thinking of the price of the wedding party. After nikkah and all the religious and legal paperwork is done, the actual wedding is what I'm thinking of.
If you’re anything like my ASIAN family then you’ll probably spend tens of thousands on a wedding for no reason. The worst thing is one of my brothers got a divorce so the amount of money spent on his wedding was a massive waste 😂😬
Being asian I guess it'll be a lot more expensive, but just generally yes I'd agree

Based on all the asian weddings I've ever been to, I'll revise wedding estimate for 300 guests to £45k - £500k.
Using a wedding planner most likely to push cost over £105k.
Last one I went to last year- all 203 female guests were given goodie bags with chanel no5, ruby containing bracelets and assorted mac cosmetics.
I heard the guys bags had perfume, luxury pens containing rubies and silk handkerchiefs.
Reply 18
No intention of getting married, I'm a 17 year old guy! But anyways, heard of a woman taking a £5k engagement ring by saying yes than cutting off all ties with the man. Got me wondering, how expensive would it be to get married?

I would want a wedding where
-the hall can seat around 300 people
-Parking
-catering
-Nice wedding ring

That's it really, and a good suit and dress for bride.

typically:
about £600 for a registrar, if required (not unlikely if you aren't church of england or quaker)
venue of that size between £5k and £10k
food £20 a head upwards
drink similar amount
groom wedding party clothes £2k
bride wedding party clothes £5k
flowers £2k
cake £500
invites £1k
engagement ring traditionally 2 months salary
wedding rings £1k
honeymoon £5-10k