The Student Room Group

Benefits of studying BTEC level 3 computing.

Hi I'm on my first year in BTEC level 3 computing. I have done BTEC level 2 before going to level 3 and all we had to do is coursework and 2 exams. Right now in level 3 i'm only doing coursework which I do not understand the benefits of it as in the future when applying for a job based on IT this qualification is useless. Will finishing level 3 and going to uni will help me out and will I be doing coursework or practical. I want a honest answer as I feel like is a wast of time.
Original post by Mohamed34
Hi I'm on my first year in BTEC level 3 computing. I have done BTEC level 2 before going to level 3 and all we had to do is coursework and 2 exams. Right now in level 3 i'm only doing coursework which I do not understand the benefits of it as in the future when applying for a job based on IT this qualification is useless. Will finishing level 3 and going to uni will help me out and will I be doing coursework or practical. I want a honest answer as I feel like is a wast of time.

Hi

I used to teach on btec computing many years ago so I’m not up to date with the current syllabus. However, what I can tell you is that btec is highly regarded by both employers and higher education. On your type of course you have to do assignments constantly rather than just an end of course exam. When you gain a btec qualification it tells the employer that you are used to working hard all the time. And as for unis the btec is much better than an A level only in computing.

If you are not enjoying your course be sure you know why. Is it computing that you are fed up with or the amount of work involved. If it’s the former then quit and find something that’ll make you happy. If it’s the latter then that Is the nature or btec and just take it on the chin.

Good luck.
Original post by maggiehodgson
Hi

I used to teach on btec computing many years ago so I’m not up to date with the current syllabus. However, what I can tell you is that btec is highly regarded by both employers and higher education. On your type of course you have to do assignments constantly rather than just an end of course exam. When you gain a btec qualification it tells the employer that you are used to working hard all the time. And as for unis the btec is much better than an A level only in computing.

If you are not enjoying your course be sure you know why. Is it computing that you are fed up with or the amount of work involved. If it’s the former then quit and find something that’ll make you happy. If it’s the latter then that Is the nature or btec and just take it on the chin.

Good luck.

Just so you know most leading universities require A level Maths for Computer Science degrees in addition to the extended Btec.
Original post by swanseajack1
Just so you know most leading universities require A level Maths for Computer Science degrees in addition to the extended Btec.

Thanks for updating me on that. It wasn't the case 8 yrs ago when I was teaching on Btec Nationals. But, of course, things change don't they.
Original post by maggiehodgson
Thanks for updating me on that. It wasn't the case 8 yrs ago when I was teaching on Btec Nationals. But, of course, things change don't they.

The problem is many students are taking the BTEC only to find when they start looking at universities the likes of Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Manchester and Durham just to mention a few also require A level Maths mostly grade A. There are many others that accept BTEC without A level but nearly all the Russell Group and some others require Maths A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending