The Student Room Group

Best universities for law

Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and want to study law at university, I’ve looked on the internet to see what the best unis for law are and a lot of the websites give conflicting views on which ones are the best, at the moment I’m mostly interested in York, I am predicted AAB but I’m hoping I can push that to AAA, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Yes I know that AAB won’t get me into the ‘best’ ones but I’m confident that I’ll get AAA which is why I’m looking into those unis as options but I do also need to look into unis for AAB etc incase I don’t get the grades I want so thankyou for the unis you listed
Original post by Logan.breckon
Yes I know that AAB won’t get me into the ‘best’ ones but I’m confident that I’ll get AAA which is why I’m looking into those unis as options but I do also need to look into unis for AAB etc incase I don’t get the grades I want so thankyou for the unis you listed

But that doesn’t matter because if you don’t meet unis requirements you likely won’t get an offer. It obviously depends which unis.
Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and want to study law at university, I’ve looked on the internet to see what the best unis for law are and a lot of the websites give conflicting views on which ones are the best, at the moment I’m mostly interested in York, I am predicted AAB but I’m hoping I can push that to AAA, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

The more information you tell us the more we will be able to suggest suitable options. For example, do you qualify for contextual offers, do you prefer campus or city unis, do you have a preference for certain parts of the country, do you generally like smaller cities or larger ones, etc?
Original post by harrysbar
The more information you tell us the more we will be able to suggest suitable options. For example, do you qualify for contextual offers, do you prefer campus or city unis, do you have a preference for certain parts of the country, do you generally like smaller cities or larger ones, etc?

I would like to go to a city uni, and the main things I look for in a uni is reputation, accommodation (pricing etc), the social life of the city, I’m not too bothered about where abouts in the country, I don’t think I qualify for contextual offers but I haven’t fully looked into it properly yet
I know that I’m not going to get into the likes of Cambridge, Oxford, LSE etc so the highest level of entry requirements I look at is AAA
My current 5 choices are York, Edinburgh (I went to the open day and loved the city and feel of the campus and course, but they don’t do English law so I’d have to do a conversion course but I’m still having it as an option), Leeds, Manchester, liverpool (as my insurance). However, I’ve done some research and people have said that Nottingham is great for law, should I consider it?
I would like to go to a city uni, and the main things I look for in a uni is reputation, accommodation (pricing etc), the social life of the city, I’m not too bothered about where abouts in the country, I don’t think I qualify for contextual offers but I haven’t fully looked into it properly yet

I suggest you look at Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield....Nottingham has a very good reptuation for Law although it is a campus uni and Sheffield seems to meet all your criteria.

Cardiff could be another consideration for an Insurance choice as it is a city uni with a good social life and some well priced accommodaton. All your other choices are in the North though :dontknow:
I suggest you look at Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield....Nottingham has a very good reptuation for Law although it is a campus uni and Sheffield seems to meet all your criteria.

Cardiff could be another consideration for an Insurance choice as it is a city uni with a good social life and some well priced accommodaton. All your other choices are in the North though :dontknow:

Thankyou I’ll have a look into Sheffield and Cardiff, I think the reason they’re in the North is because I’m from the north and have a good idea of what the cities are like as I’ve been to most of them, I’m not put off by places further away though
Reply 9
You're in year 12? You have time to push yourself in the end of year mocks to get your prediction to AAA. I was on D's and E's majority of year 12, turned it around during February/March and then got A*BC the end of that year and was then predicted A*AA, granted it was mainly because they saw my consistency and change in attitude and firmly believed I could do it. (Although i got A*AB in the end which simply proves that predicted grades aren't always accurate but my grade was also the highest grade from my school which is currently in the list for low achieving schools so that says a lot.)

Sorry for rambling, I do that too much but the general point is that if you're still in year 12 so there is time to push for AAA or higher predictions. Also, there's stuff like pathways to law and stuff that you can do in year 12 if you qualify for it to get lower offers at the unis that participate
Original post by Kali.kb
You're in year 12? You have time to push yourself in the end of year mocks to get your prediction to AAA. I was on D's and E's majority of year 12, turned it around during February/March and then got A*BC the end of that year and was then predicted A*AA, granted it was mainly because they saw my consistency and change in attitude and firmly believed I could do it. (Although i got A*AB in the end which simply proves that predicted grades aren't always accurate but my grade was also the highest grade from my school which is currently in the list for low achieving schools so that says a lot.)

Sorry for rambling, I do that too much but the general point is that if you're still in year 12 so there is time to push for AAA or higher predictions. Also, there's stuff like pathways to law and stuff that you can do in year 12 if you qualify for it to get lower offers at the unis that participate

Thankyou and well done those are good grades, we got told recently that for your UCAS options, if you get way better grades than you were expecting then you get to have a new choice at a uni that needs higher grades, so if I do magically get A*AA for example I’ll Have a look at either Durham or LSE probably, so for the moment I’m only looking at unis with AAA as I think that’s most likely the grades I’ll get
(edited 4 years ago)

Also, why didn’t you include York in your recommended, I thought it was a great uni for law but I suppose you’ll know better than me
I understand York is a campus university so might not be for you. The cheapest cities to live will be the Northern or Welsh cities. Nottingham is a campus university so perhaps isnt what you require. You mention LSE. That will be mega expensive. Perhaps the best universities for you and your requirements would be Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff and possibly Sheffield or Newcastle. Bristol is a city university which could be aspirational choice although it is a fairly expensive city to live in. Birmingham is worth considering although it is a campus university a couple of miles out of the city centre.
Also, why didn’t you include York in your recommended, I thought it was a great uni for law but I suppose you’ll know better than me

No I don’t know better than you, I only left York out because I knew you were already strongly considering York :smile:
No I don’t know better than you, I only left York out because I knew you were already strongly considering York :smile:

Oh right that makes sense ahaha
Original post by swanseajack1
I understand York is a campus university so might not be for you. The cheapest cities to live will be the Northern or Welsh cities. Nottingham is a campus university so perhaps isnt what you require. You mention LSE. That will be mega expensive. Perhaps the best universities for you and your requirements would be Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff and possibly Sheffield or Newcastle. Bristol is a city university which could be aspirational choice although it is a fairly expensive city to live in. Birmingham is worth considering although it is a campus university a couple of miles out of the city centre.

I don’t mind a uni outside of the city as long as it’s not too far out, I’m going to Newcastle’s open day in the half term so I’ll let you know what I think of it
London Southbank takes aab and its sick for law. Theres lots of links in the city
Original post by helenamasey
London Southbank takes aab and its sick for law. Theres lots of links in the city

demontford hunny
Original post by dyingstudent101

what do u mean

Latest

Trending

Trending