The Student Room Group

Considering getting a scooter next year

This year I'm staying in student accomodation with buses that run to and from the campus, but next year I'm thinking about staying in a student house. The student houses here seem to be a little more out of the way, and even besides that, I don't feel very safe walking around when it's dark , (so like even at 7pm,) by myself. I'd like to be able to feel safe popping to the shops, gym, etc in the evening.

Because of all this, I'm thinking about getting a scooter or a moped, something like a vespa. But I have a few questions.

- is it better to get a 50cc scooter or an 125cc scooter? I don't want to go too fast, but I heard that the 125cc can be safer

- roughly how much would it cost to run a 50cc/125cc scooter? The town where the student houses are is about 0.4 miles from campus, and about 2.5 miles from town.

- do I need to wear full protective gear on a scooter like a motorbike? Say I'm going 30mph

- have you run a scooter at uni? Would you reccommend it?

I know that I'd need to do CBT, I'm more concerned with the running costs of the bike. I'll be 20 when I'd be riding the scooter and I have a provisional driver's licence. Thanks in advance 😄
Reply 1
Running costs are low... but you will need somewhere safe (and preferably under cover) to keep it. They are very prone to vandalism if left parked on the road overnight. Full body protection is perhaps a little OTT but sensible clothing is recommended.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
Running costs are low... but you will need somewhere safe (and preferably under cover) to keep it. They are very prone to vandalism if left parked on the road overnight. Full body protection is perhaps a little OTT but sensible clothing is recommended.

So sensible clothing would be something like jeans and a jacket covering my arms with a helmet?

If I do stay in a student house, I'll probably lock it up behind the house with a cover on it. The university has motorcycle parking so I should be fine on that front.
Reply 3
Original post by nonstickpan00
So sensible clothing would be something like jeans and a jacket covering my arms with a helmet?

If I do stay in a student house, I'll probably lock it up behind the house with a cover on it. The university has motorcycle parking so I should be fine on that front.

Perfect... not a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops.
Original post by Vinny C
Perfect... not a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops.

Original post by nonstickpan00

You were talking about jeans and a jacket. The jacket is a good idea, though I don't consider jeans as comfortable motorcycle gear. You should look for more comfortable pants in stores. A helmet is just a must-have for every two-wheeler, I would recommend this page to read about these.
Reply 5
Original post by Christieeee
You were talking about jeans and a jacket. The jacket is a good idea, though I don't consider jeans as comfortable motorcycle gear. You should look for more comfortable pants in stores. A helmet is just a must-have for every two-wheeler, I would recommend this page to read about these.

Try gravel rash to the kneebone, it hurts like hell. Heavy denim helps... and is quite comfy when you get used to it. It breathes, it flexes, it protects... what is there not to like? Cotton armour... what could be more eco friendly?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending