The Student Room Group

How to stop eating

I am in the habit of emotional eating again and really really need tips and advice on how to restrict my eating and calorie intake so that I can return to a healthy BMI. The more specific the better as 'just eat heality' is unhelpful! Any tips with continuing to motivate yourself to keep this up longer term are also very welcome!
P.S. I am about 1 stone overweight but would like to lose at least two
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Tashaistoast
I am in the habit of emotional eating again and really really need tips and advice on how to restrict my eating and calorie intake so that I can return to a healthy BMI. The more specific the better as 'just eat heality' is unhelpful! Any tips with continuing to motivate yourself to keep this up longer term are also very welcome!

eat tons of vegetables (cooked or raw) and drink lots of water - barely any calories and you'll be too full to eat trash food
find other distractions - ytube video, calming apps etc
Be punched by a homeless person and drink instead of eat.

(It’s from a Netflix show, if ya know ya know)
Original post by OR321

insatiable LMAO
Reply 4
You need to build a positive relationship with food. Try and eat your lunch and dinner with friends or family, it encourages controlled and healthy eating, it also means once you’re used to it you’re less likely to eat alone. Usually you eat junk when you’re alone.

Start finding healthy food you enjoy, for me I started with roasted vegetables (so tasty but not the healthiest, still healthy) then I started liking them just boiled now I eat raw carrots in my salads lol. Eat fresh, and just realise how good it makes you feel then Use that as motivation
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't completely stop eating!! I know it sounds obvious but people generally forget: your body needs nutrients. If you deny your body of those nutrients, your body goes fight or flight mode and starts preparing to not have food which means you'll will feel even unhealthier.Tip 1) Learn that your not going to adjust right away. Habits take time to form but you will get there in the end.Tip 2) Meal Plan. It was so helpful to me, literally: plan the meal. What time you will eat, what you will eat, how much, plan it!!Tip 3) Learn about your own body. If you have low metabolism, eat more protein and do like more like resistance training so you eventually build your metabolism back up.
Do you have an eating problem?
It’s concerning to hear that you’re a stone overweight but want to lose 2.
Eating healthily is your only option.
You need to cut out sugar as much as possible and fill up on healthy nutritious food. Lean meat, fish veg and salad. With some fruit.
Have regular mealtimes and try not to snack.
If you have eaten a meal but feel hungry then drink some water. It’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger
You have to burn off more than you need to lose weight so exercise is important.
Calculate your TDEE online to see how many calories you need each day and then reduce that by 500. But don’t drop below 1200 per day.
Finally, if you are honest with yourself and think you may be suffering from an eating disorder of any kind then see your doctor ASAP
Original post by helpimlost
insatiable LMAO

Have you seen the second season? So funny but ****ed up 😂😂😂
Original post by OR321
Have you seen the second season? So funny but ****ed up 😂😂😂

yes OMG literally when it came out. I feel like it's very weird but very entertaining. Best part to this day is when both Bob's fainted LMAO WBU?
Original post by helpimlost
yes OMG literally when it came out. I feel like it's very weird but very entertaining. Best part to this day is when both Bob's fainted LMAO WBU?

That “dead girl” song made me crack up for hourssss 😂
Original post by Sammylou40
Do you have an eating problem?
It’s concerning to hear that you’re a stone overweight but want to lose 2.
Eating healthily is your only option.
You need to cut out sugar as much as possible and fill up on healthy nutritious food. Lean meat, fish veg and salad. With some fruit.
Have regular mealtimes and try not to snack.
If you have eaten a meal but feel hungry then drink some water. It’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger
You have to burn off more than you need to lose weight so exercise is important.
Calculate your TDEE online to see how many calories you need each day and then reduce that by 500. But don’t drop below 1200 per day.
Finally, if you are honest with yourself and think you may be suffering from an eating disorder of any kind then see your doctor ASAP

Hi,

I dont think that is concerning at all. A healthy BMI ranges over about two stone difference e.g. a healthy bmi for me can be anything between 8st 12 and 11st 2, therefore aiming to be at least 10 stone is not a sign of an eating disorder in the slightest. However, as mentioned above I am guilty of emotional eating and also probably eating due to boredom. I will try taking away the 500kcal from my daily recommended intake as you suggested as that sounds like an easier thing to monitor. I also know I need to drink more water so maybe that will help. Thanks
Original post by Ciel.
eat tons of vegetables (cooked or raw) and drink lots of water - barely any calories and you'll be too full to eat trash food
find other distractions - ytube video, calming apps etc

That is really helpful thank you, I will definitely try to focus on the veggies and drink far more water!!
Original post by ohnoitsorpa
Don't completely stop eating!! I know it sounds obvious but people generally forget: your body needs nutrients. If you deny your body of those nutrients, your body goes fight or flight mode and starts preparing to not have food which means you'll will feel even unhealthier.Tip 1) Learn that your not going to adjust right away. Habits take time to form but you will get there in the end.Tip 2) Meal Plan. It was so helpful to me, literally: plan the meal. What time you will eat, what you will eat, how much, plan it!!Tip 3) Learn about your own body. If you have low metabolism, eat more protein and do like more like resistance training so you eventually build your metabolism back up.

That's really interesting I didny really know you could change you metabolism! I think I really need to give this meal planning and prepping thing a go cause I'm not very organised, will probably save me money as well lol!
Original post by OR321

I'm really sorry but this is completely lost on me 😂
Original post by Tashaistoast
I'm really sorry but this is completely lost on me 😂

It’s a show called Insatiable. Really fun so you should watch it 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending