The Student Room Group

Surviving A-Levels (hopefully) GYG

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 14.26.48.png
Hi there! Welcome to my little corner of The Student Room and my GYG entry for this year. I'm Physics_Girl_12 and I'm pleased to have you here. I hope you enjoy living the ups and (mainly) downs of my A-Levels and my University application.

GCSEs Results:

Spoiler

A-Level Subjects:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

University Choices:
Oxford (Physics)
Imperial College London (Physics)
St. Andrew's (Physics)
Durham (Physics)
Edinburgh (Physics)

So I hope you stay tuned. I hope this little blog will give you all motivation, allow you to share in the drama (not like my life's very exciting anyway :colonhash:), and be somewhat entertaining. Until next time,
P_G_12

(edited 4 years ago)
Good luck with all of this are you going into engineering or something like that because of the physics
Original post by Spoonsssss
Good luck with all of this are you going into engineering or something like that because of the physics

Yeah so I’ve applied for physics for all of my uni choices. Took the Oxford entrance exam today 😅
It's Wednesday! So it's time for another post.

I've decided, to keep myself motivated and on-track, I'm going to set myself weekly goals, share my revision tips with you, update you all on what has been going on (both in school and out), maybe include a brain-teaser/tough question for my dedicated readers (of which I have a grand total of 0 at the moment 😅) to answer in the thread, post some aesthetic revision pics, and generally just get real with you (no, not *that* real 😝). Because I know what it's like to struggle through tough exams and tough subjects and feel like you're going it alone, hopefully this blog and I will be your friend and companion through our shared journey. Through every aced test and failed practical experiment, you'll be right there next to me (gosh it's all beginning to sound like a soppy diary here).

Weekly goal:
So for this week, my goal has been to do 2 hours of extra revision/homework per night (which corresponds to the 7-8 hours per day of work, excluding weekends, which I feel is an optimal amount). I shall let you know in my next post how it went, though so far I've probably only stuck to that rule once out of the three days this week, don't judge 🙃). But I'm sure I'll make it work.

For revision tip of the week:
I'm going to share with you my 8/8/8 rule (I don't remember where I picked this up but I've tried to live by it as much as possible). Your day is split into three 8 hour sections. You use 8 hours per day to study/revise/go to school, 8 hours to sleep (get that melatonin sis 💅), and 8 hours for recreation/eating/living etc. (I suggest 1-2 hours for sport, 4 for chilling and the rest for travelling to and from school etc.) Let me tell you, this has revolutionised the way I think about school work and striking that work-life balance (and now I sound like a self-help book for people in their thirties haha).

Updates:
This week is the UKMT senior maths challenge and let me tell you, the pressure to perform as somebody hoping to go into a STEM degree is immense but I know I'm preparing as well as I can by trawling through past papers and problem-solving type questions.

On a side note, I've been continuing with driving lessons but they've been moved to like 7:00 pm and honestly driving in the dark with a steady shower of rain is giving me severe fear of the road.

ALSO: who here watches University Challenge? I'm absolutely obsessed and I'm so sad to see Sheffield Uni go :frown: they were a good team. Glad to see an Oxford college through though.

*drumroll* It's self-awareness time:
It has been brought to my attention that sometimes I'm a bit toxic and mean. This is a hard pill to swallow as somebody who generally thinks of herself as a pleasant person. Please tell me I'm not alone and that sometimes you also say/think things that make you stop and think

did I really think that? Is it even possible for humans to be capable of such terrible things?

Honestly though, I'm blaming it on lack of Vitamin D, these short days are taking their toll. But I am working on trying to be nicer.

So, to leave you with a final thought, here's a little brain teaser for you all:
"Tommorrow Is Neither Wednesday Nor Thursday. Yesterday Was Not Friday Or Saturday. Today Is Not Thursday Nor Monday Nor Sunday. What Day Is Today?"

I shall let you know next time, see you then :smile:
TBH I feel the same way about the way i've been told how i speak. Some could find it harsh but the way i think about it is that it's straight up truth and although it may seem bitter at the time, it kind of is just me being straight forward and perhaps blunt with no extra frills to soften the blow. It's not even the fact that i do it on purpose, its actually the opposite because its in my nature to cut straight to the chase.Well if that makes me a harsh person then the tea has been sipped, spilled and (hopefully) soiled all of their dresses because DEAL WITH IT!P.S. i know that didnt really make sense but oh well \_(o_o)_/Yeah i know i'm very forthright, but i'm afraid i cant and wont change because they want me too. Ultimately,I just cant be fake.Wow you're probably thinking 'damn did she just rant' and yes i did. Its actually been on my mind for a while and as i came across how you feel about this , i wanted to reassure you that your not alone on this road, of thinking about what i said could have hurt their feelings.Anyways i hope you stay happy, young and free.“Take responsibility of your own happiness, never put it in other people’s hands.”― Roy T. Bennett,
Original post by physics_girl_12
It's Wednesday! So it's time for another post.

I've decided, to keep myself motivated and on-track, I'm going to set myself weekly goals, share my revision tips with you, update you all on what has been going on (both in school and out), maybe include a brain-teaser/tough question for my dedicated readers (of which I have a grand total of 0 at the moment 😅) to answer in the thread, post some aesthetic revision pics, and generally just get real with you (no, not *that* real 😝). Because I know what it's like to struggle through tough exams and tough subjects and feel like you're going it alone, hopefully this blog and I will be your friend and companion through our shared journey. Through every aced test and failed practical experiment, you'll be right there next to me (gosh it's all beginning to sound like a soppy diary here).

Weekly goal:
So for this week, my goal has been to do 2 hours of extra revision/homework per night (which corresponds to the 7-8 hours per day of work, excluding weekends, which I feel is an optimal amount). I shall let you know in my next post how it went, though so far I've probably only stuck to that rule once out of the three days this week, don't judge 🙃). But I'm sure I'll make it work.

For revision tip of the week:
I'm going to share with you my 8/8/8 rule (I don't remember where I picked this up but I've tried to live by it as much as possible). Your day is split into three 8 hour sections. You use 8 hours per day to study/revise/go to school, 8 hours to sleep (get that melatonin sis 💅), and 8 hours for recreation/eating/living etc. (I suggest 1-2 hours for sport, 4 for chilling and the rest for travelling to and from school etc.) Let me tell you, this has revolutionised the way I think about school work and striking that work-life balance (and now I sound like a self-help book for people in their thirties haha).

Updates:
This week is the UKMT senior maths challenge and let me tell you, the pressure to perform as somebody hoping to go into a STEM degree is immense but I know I'm preparing as well as I can by trawling through past papers and problem-solving type questions.

On a side note, I've been continuing with driving lessons but they've been moved to like 7:00 pm and honestly driving in the dark with a steady shower of rain is giving me severe fear of the road.

ALSO: who here watches University Challenge? I'm absolutely obsessed and I'm so sad to see Sheffield Uni go :frown: they were a good team. Glad to see an Oxford college through though.

*drumroll* It's self-awareness time:
It has been brought to my attention that sometimes I'm a bit toxic and mean. This is a hard pill to swallow as somebody who generally thinks of herself as a pleasant person. Please tell me I'm not alone and that sometimes you also say/think things that make you stop and think

did I really think that? Is it even possible for humans to be capable of such terrible things?

Honestly though, I'm blaming it on lack of Vitamin D, these short days are taking their toll. But I am working on trying to be nicer.

So, to leave you with a final thought, here's a little brain teaser for you all:
"Tommorrow Is Neither Wednesday Nor Thursday. Yesterday Was Not Friday Or Saturday. Today Is Not Thursday Nor Monday Nor Sunday. What Day Is Today?"

I shall let you know next time, see you then :smile:

Good luck im also doing the Senior maths challenge tommorrow its a great thing to include in your personal statement especially when im planning to do engineering at uni next year.
Original post by infinity24795
TBH I feel the same way about the way i've been told how i speak. Some could find it harsh but the way i think about it is that it's straight up truth and although it may seem bitter at the time, it kind of is just me being straight forward and perhaps blunt with no extra frills to soften the blow. It's not even the fact that i do it on purpose, its actually the opposite because its in my nature to cut straight to the chase.Well if that makes me a harsh person then the tea has been sipped, spilled and (hopefully) soiled all of their dresses because DEAL WITH IT!P.S. i know that didnt really make sense but oh well \_(o_o)_/Yeah i know i'm very forthright, but i'm afraid i cant and wont change because they want me too. Ultimately,I just cant be fake.Wow you're probably thinking 'damn did she just rant' and yes i did. Its actually been on my mind for a while and as i came across how you feel about this , i wanted to reassure you that your not alone on this road, of thinking about what i said could have hurt their feelings.Anyways i hope you stay happy, young and free.“Take responsibility of your own happiness, never put it in other people’s hands.”― Roy T. Bennett,

This ^^^ Thank you so much for sharing. You're so right about everything, everything I say #Factsss so I'm not fussed if it offends really.
Original post by dj_ad_1
Good luck im also doing the Senior maths challenge tommorrow its a great thing to include in your personal statement especially when im planning to do engineering at uni next year.

Good luck with your application! It's gonna be a fun paper I'm sure, odd number of year as well so that'll be fun!
Original post by physics_girl_12
Good luck with your application! It's gonna be a fun paper I'm sure, odd number of year as well so that'll be fun!

Thanks but the thing is ive already sent my ucas and ive got 2 unconditional offers aha. If i did the SMC before I wouldve definitely have put it tbh. Yeah we can talk about it after if u want.
Heyyy do you have any tips on how to revise chemistry and tackle the questions and like actually do really well, I already do so many past questions but what else
Original post by kasacolx
Heyyy do you have any tips on how to revise chemistry and tackle the questions and like actually do really well, I already do so many past questions but what else

I'm doing chemistry too id say do as many past papers u can even if uve done it before as it is the way they word the question that mostly people loose stupid marks. The more practice u do the less likely u r to make the same mistakes
Original post by dj_ad_1
I'm doing chemistry too id say do as many past papers u can even if uve done it before as it is the way they word the question that mostly people loose stupid marks. The more practice u do the less likely u r to make the same mistakes

I do so many past paper questions and make notes on the mistakes how am I still not doing aswell, do you think there’s something else I could be doing?
I do so many past paper questions and make notes on the mistakes how am I still not doing aswell, do you think there’s something else I could be doing?

um what exam board r u? cos like u can try other exam board questions as well as most exams boards cover the same topics so like id say starting with those.

Hey! I’m so glad you asked this question. I’m going to post an example revision post next (soonish) and I’m preparing for a chemistry test soon so I’ll tailor it towards chem. In the meantime, I suggest for organic you make an organic map (helps you see how things link), make a ‘mechanism bible’ as I call it, and for physical and inorganic I’ve always found flash cards help for recall and you’re already doing past questions which is great only if you’re confident about the content first.

Hope that’s helpful 👍🏻
Original post by dj_ad_1
um what exam board r u? cos like u can try other exam board questions as well as most exams boards cover the same topics so like id say starting with those.

OCR and thank you
OCR and thank you

Same here id say try aqa questions cos like they r prob the most similar in terms of specs.
I'd like to be added.
tag me! i'm in year 12 at the moment but pretty interested in all the unis you're applying to. good luck for this year :smile:
maths, fm and physics gang:woo:
good luck with the uni apps and a-levels:biggrin: and i hope the smc went well:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending