The Student Room Group

Transfer after first year at Uni?

I'm not happy with the course at my present uni (although I'm actually quite happy with the overall vibe). It was my insurance choice and I'm here after I unexpectedly underperformed in my A Levels. I am studying BA Geography and I want to transfer to a more central London uni (I'm at Royal Holloway atm). The courses there are more suited to my human speciality (especially LSE) or have more London based topics e.g UCL which is where my interest lies. Is it possible to transfer? ... I'm in first year and want to transfer after finishing my year here (into first year there or second if possible but I doubt it lol). If it's possible what grade do I have to achieve at the end of my first year?
(btw Royal Holloway is a really nice place and I'm actually enjoying life here but the course isn't me... if that makes sense.)
I want to study a course that I enjoy and I feel I will only get that at LSE, UCL or Kings.
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not happy with the course at my present uni (although I'm actually quite happy with the overall vibe). It was my insurance choice and I'm here after I unexpectedly underperformed in my A Levels. I am studying BA Geography and I want to transfer to a more central London uni (I'm at Royal Holloway atm). The courses there are more suited to my human speciality (especially LSE) or have more London based topics e.g UCL which is where my interest lies. Is it possible to transfer? ... I'm in first year and want to transfer after finishing my year here (into first year there or second if possible but I doubt it lol). If it's possible what grade do I have to achieve at the end of my first year?
(btw Royal Holloway is a really nice place and I'm actually enjoying life here but the course isn't me... if that makes sense.)
I want to study a course that I enjoy and I feel I will only get that at LSE, UCL or Kings.

Another university may ask you to meet the standard entry requirements (i.e. A level grades) to enter into Year 1 - you're unlikely to get direct entry into Year 2 if the courses differ in their focus. As you already admit that you underperformed in your A levels, they may take that into account over your first year result.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Another university may ask you to meet the standard entry requirements (i.e. A level grades) to enter into Year 1 - you're unlikely to get direct entry into Year 2 if the courses differ in their focus. As you already admit that you underperformed in your A levels, they may take that into account over your first year result.

Thanks.

I actually really want to start from first year.

If i get a First or a High 2:1 in my first year will that be something a university (primarily LSE, UCL and Kings) take into account? Just some info, i received offers from all 3 unis earlier this year.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks.

I actually really want to start from first year.

If i get a First or a High 2:1 in my first year will that be something a university (primarily LSE, UCL and Kings) take into account? Just some info, i received offers from all 3 unis earlier this year.

Prior offers won't matter (especially as I'm guessing you didn't meet the conditions of those offers anyway). You'll need to speak to each university and ask what an offer might consist of in your situation. Don't be surprised if the emphasis is on your A levels though.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Prior offers won't matter (especially as I'm guessing you didn't meet the conditions of those offers anyway). You'll need to speak to each university and ask what an offer might consist of in your situation. Don't be surprised if the emphasis is on your A levels though.

Thank you.

I'll have a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending