The Student Room Group

are natural sciences degrees any good?

I want a well paid job. I'll be going to a RG.

pathway- biology, biochemistry, maths

would it be better to change biology to chemistry?
Original post by Anonymous

I understand that you want a well paid job, however choosing what interests you and that you enjoy is likely to help you to: get through the course, do well in it, and actually want to go into that field after uni. Which do you prefer? :smile:

There are well-paid and not-so-well-paid jobs in all of these career pathways. What you really need to do is identify potential areas you think you might be interested in working in and then consider your different options. Even if you aren't really sure at this stage, there's nothing to stop you looking at various industries and job descriptions to see what type of degree is preferred. Obviously there is no point doing a degree that would make you miserable solely for a job.

Hello,

I would definitely suggest taking a look at Natural Sciences courses. At Bath, you choose a major and minor subject from Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacology and Environmental Science, as well as an optional module (another science module, maths for life sciences, education, psychology or management). You can find more about what the modules entail here. So, you could do biology major with biochemistry or chemistry minor, OR chemistry major and biochemistry or biology minor, OR biochemistry major with biology or chemistry minor. Maths for life sciences could then be your optional module. You could also do a single science module as your optional module (i.e. biology major, biochemistry minor and organic chemistry as an optional module).

Whether or not it'd be better to choose chemistry over biology depends on where you interests lie. If you enjoy biology more, then you'd likely to better in it and so that's the better choice. Always choose the subjects that you genuinely enjoy, as that's when you'll succeed. Also factor in what career you want to go into - would you prefer a more biology or chemistry orientated job?

In terms of jobs, you have the same prospects as students who studied a single honours (i.e. just biology or just chemistry). You study the same modules to the same depth as single honours students, you just don't do every single module. Since the degree is so interdisciplinary, you end up with a better and broader understanding (i.e. by studying chemistry, you can view biology from a different perspective and vice versa). A lot of employers will want this, so in a way you may be more employable. Overall though, you have just as good prospects as other students. On top of this, it gives you a greater variety of prospects since you study multiple sciences. If you just studied biology, you may not be able to pursue postgraduate degrees or jobs related to chemistry or biochemistry for example.

If you want some more detailed info about NatSci degrees, I'd suggest taking a look at this thread that I started.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I understand that you want a well paid job, however choosing what interests you and that you enjoy is likely to help you to: get through the course, do well in it, and actually want to go into that field after uni. Which do you prefer? :smile:

I don't think I want to stay in science after uni
Original post by Charlotte's Web
There are well-paid and not-so-well-paid jobs in all of these career pathways. What you really need to do is identify potential areas you think you might be interested in working in and then consider your different options. Even if you aren't really sure at this stage, there's nothing to stop you looking at various industries and job descriptions to see what type of degree is preferred. Obviously there is no point doing a degree that would make you miserable solely for a job.

think I want to go into finance
Original post by dan150999
think I want to go into finance

If you want to do finance then it might make more sense to look at a more related degree. Biology or chemistry would likely enable you to join grad schemes but it is likely someone down the line is going to ask the question why you chose a science degree when you are applying to a finance job. The risk with this is that it can make you look confused or not set on any particular career pathway.
If you want to do finance then it might make more sense to look at a more related degree. Biology or chemistry would likely enable you to join grad schemes but it is likely someone down the line is going to ask the question why you chose a science degree when you are applying to a finance job. The risk with this is that it can make you look confused or not set on any particular career pathway.

Do you think it is worth me dropping out then?
Do you think it is worth me dropping out then?

What would you be dropping out of? As far as I can see you're currently sitting A levels, is that right?
What would you be dropping out of? As far as I can see you're currently sitting A levels, is that right?

no dropping out of natural sciences i am there now. i already took a gap year as well. things are just starting to get me down now i keep on messing things up and making bad decisions
no dropping out of natural sciences i am there now. i already took a gap year as well. things are just starting to get me down now i keep on messing things up and making bad decisions

Ok sorry - from your original post it wasn't quite clear that you were already at university.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to get in touch with the careers advisors at your university. This is free and they can meet in person or over the phone/skype and will be able to give you some really good advice.

Natural sciences is not necessarily a barrier to a career in finance, what you could do is have a look at grad schemes and entry level finance jobs to see whether your degree would meet their requirements before you make any decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending