The Student Room Group

Being talked over and ignored?

So I have a problem where no one can hear me well when I talk. I talk in an audible volume now but I'm still being ignored/ not heard. Today in Biology, I answered a question that was a part of a topic I was super passionate about. My friend repeated me with a similar volume after a few minutes and the teacher credited her. To be honest I was a little jealous and upset but nothing to be worried over.

The problem is that I am going to have a meeting with him soon about my performance in class. Last time, I was asked to contribute more to lessons. He's going to score me a 0 in that despite the fact that I actually tried this year. I'm afraid if I tell him that he doesn't hear me, he's going to give more attention to me which will make me nervous and get thing wrong (if you get what I mean) I just want a normal amount of attention where I'm heard. I don't want the kind where he will actively call out my name to answer.

*edit* I'm a kid that does drama on the side. I know how to project my voice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well, are you assuming he's going to give you a zero or did he actually give you a zero?

Maybe he is hearing you speak and acknowledging that you are doing so.

But, if he does end up giving you a zero, I'd try to confront him about it. Tell him that you have in fact been talking in the lessons, but he merely overlooked you. Even if he does end up giving you a bit more attention, you're really passionate about the subject, right? That should overweight the amount of anxiety it puts on you. Remember, however, that there are also a lot of kids in the class and some of them probably have the same problem as you, so not all of the attention will be on you.
Reply 2
People like you get on my nerves. You think that just because you said the answer in a quiet voice, you deserve all the credit because the teacher HAS to somehow hear your mouse-like voice. Someone else from your class had the balls to say what you said, but louder, you didn't.

Stop mumbling under your voice and speak up next time.
Reply 3
Original post by AJayeBird
Well, are you assuming he's going to give you a zero or did he actually give you a zero?

Maybe he is hearing you speak and acknowledging that you are doing so.

But, if he does end up giving you a zero, I'd try to confront him about it. Tell him that you have in fact been talking in the lessons, but he merely overlooked you. Even if he does end up giving you a bit more attention, you're really passionate about the subject, right? That should overweight the amount of anxiety it puts on you. Remember, however, that there are also a lot of kids in the class and some of them probably have the same problem as you, so not all of the attention will be on you.

Thanks for the advice. He said last year that if I don't contribute he will give me a 0. He said that he will warn in advance if anyone gets a 0/low grade in class performance just so it doesn't come as a shock and he can also explain why you get that grade.
Original post by Xarao
People like you get on my nerves. You think that just because you said the answer in a quiet voice, you deserve all the credit because the teacher HAS to somehow hear your mouse-like voice. Someone else from your class had the balls to say what you said, but louder, you didn't.

Drag him.

You need to speak up, hon.
Reply 5
Original post by Xarao

I thought I made it clear that I have an audible voice and my friend spoke in a similar volume as me (also she said this when everyone was talking so :/)

Thanks I guess?
Original post by Edenaciel
Thanks for the advice. He said last year that if I don't contribute he will give me a 0. He said that he will warn in advance if anyone gets a 0/low grade in class performance just so it doesn't come as a shock and he can also explain why you get that grade.

Ah, okay. Did you get warned?
Reply 7
Original post by AJayeBird
Ah, okay. Did you get warned?

Yes
Original post by Edenaciel
Yes

Ouch, well, my advice still stands from earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending