The Student Room Group

Which univeristy should I go to for Japanese?

Hi
I'm currently in my first year of A-Levels studying classics, philosophy and french. I decided last year that I wanted to do Japanese at university but I honestly don't know where to go.
(I've studied a bit of Japanese freelance but if I'm going to apply for a course I'll go for one which is starting from scratch)
I live in Oxford, which is home to one of the most famous universities in the world. Oxford is supposed to have a good Japanese course which was originally the one I wanted to do. I've spoken to a few people on the course and went to a taster day for it but, since I was born here and have lived here my whole life, part of me really wants to move away. I've been looking at Durham and SOAS but I don't really know how to decide between the two. If anyone is on the Japanese course at any of these universities any help would be greatly appreciated (though I still have a long time to think before I start applying anywhere).

Oxford
Pros
- really close to home, I know the area well
- lots of international students so I'll get the chance to meet loads of new people from across the country and across the world
- very famous and reputable university
- I know the layout of the course really well and have spoken to people on it
- has a year abroad
- allows you to start studying a subsidiary language in the third year
- doesn't have any compulsory a-levels and I'm doing a foreign language
- nice area, lots of things to do/coffee shops
- university students are basically treated like royalty in the centre of Oxford

Cons
- would have to stay living with my parents because they're so close and I don't want to pay the accommodation fees if I live in the local area
- wouldn't be a new experience
- I wouldn't become as independent and wouldn't be exposed to having to manage my own money/cook for myself etc, I may slack off
- most of my friends are planning to move to other areas for uni so it's not like I would be staying close to them
- very difficult and stressful to get into - requires AAA for a-levels
- will be filled with really hard working and super smart people, I might not fit in
- will be harder to make friends if I live alone

Durham
Pros
- I was told the Japanese course was good by a teacher at my school (who I trust with stuff like this)
- I'll be living in a different place
- a completely new experience
- will meet loads of new people
- supposed to be a very pretty area
- probably easier to get into - AAB instead of AAA which will reduce stress on my part
-will develop independence skills and learn to live with other people
- includes a year abroad (?)

Cons
- very far away - if something happens my parents won't be close by and it will be harder for me to visit home
- I might not get along with my roommates
- I don't know that much about the course or the university
- isn't as reputable as Oxford

SOAS
Pros
- apparently the leading institution for Asian studies
- in London, which I know quite well
- easy for me to visit, I can just get the coach back home
- includes a year abroad
- only a-level suggestion is a foreign language (which I'm doing)
- suggests AAB or ABB for a-levels, so easier than Oxford

Cons
-London is very expensive and crowded
- I know London already so it won't be a brand new experience
- I don't know much about the university or the course, I hadn't even heard of it before I started researching Japanese courses

Anyways, I would just like some advice so I can learn more about the different courses. I might have some information wrong as well. (Also massive props to anyone who actually read all of that)
Thank you!
Why not apply to all three?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why not apply to all three?

I'm thinking of applying to all three but I'm still undecided as to which one I should actually go to
Original post by absentplatinum
I'm thinking of applying to all three but I'm still undecided as to which one I should actually go to

You have lots of time. Visit them all. Ponder slowly. Relax.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
You have lots of time. Visit them all. Ponder slowly. Relax.

Ok, I will go to open days and see what they're like. Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by absentplatinum

If you have the luxury of choice, you can solve that problem when you're presented with it - you've got over one and a half years until you have to make that final decision. For now, just concentrate on your studies and attend the open days when they come.
Original post by Plagioclase
If you have the luxury of choice, you can solve that problem when you're presented with it - you've got over one and a half years until you have to make that final decision. For now, just concentrate on your studies and attend the open days when they come.

Ok, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending