The Student Room Group

becoming a paramedic

i was planning on applying to university this year to become a paramedic but after making some enquiries, i have discovered i am too young to apply this year. i really do not want to spend another year at school but am still too young for university. is there anything else i can do this year that isn’t school or uni?
when you say you are too young, what do you mean, as there is no minimum age on the course, I am applying to study Paramedics, and some people I have interviewed with were 17, I am 24.

If you want to have a year out, I would really recommend getting a job for experience, such as working in a care home, or even care in the community, anything health-based, I applied last year with no care experiences, and got 2 out of 5 interviews and didn't have the experience, this year I have 5 out of 5 interviews and I feel they are going well, as I can use my experiences to boost my skills, it also gives you transferable skills.
I am also doing a distance learning course to help keep my academic writing skills.
Original post by RebeccaIvin
when you say you are too young, what do you mean, as there is no minimum age on the course, I am applying to study Paramedics, and some people I have interviewed with were 17, I am 24.

If you want to have a year out, I would really recommend getting a job for experience, such as working in a care home, or even care in the community, anything health-based, I applied last year with no care experiences, and got 2 out of 5 interviews and didn't have the experience, this year I have 5 out of 5 interviews and I feel they are going well, as I can use my experiences to boost my skills, it also gives you transferable skills.
I am also doing a distance learning course to help keep my academic writing skills.

in scotland, there is currently only one university you can apply to to become a paramedic. in 2020, i will only be 17 but am required to be 18 by the end of the year to apply
Original post by student200903
in scotland, there is currently only one university you can apply to to become a paramedic. in 2020, i will only be 17 but am required to be 18 by the end of the year to apply

There is more than one, I’m sure that Queen Margaret in Edinburgh, University of West Scotland as well as Glasgow all offer the course
Yeah there’s more than one course in Scotland but they haven’t been confirmed yet. But they are to be by spring 2020.

The new locations will be in:

Queen Margaret University
West of Scotland University
Robert Gordon University
University of Stirling

Quick Reply

Latest