The Student Room Group

Revision gcse 2020

Hi everyone ,
Im going to be sitting the 2020 gcse examinations and im wondering when is the right time to start revising because teachers say its too late if you havent started now and some people say it doesnt matter. I tried starting small revision every day but as days go by i forget what i learn the previous days. My previous revisions dont stay in my head. Im quite worried as there is 15 poems and two books for me to memorise aswell.
Original post by Chi2020
Hi everyone ,
sdfIm going to be sitting the 2020 gcse examinations and im wondering when is the right time to start revising because teachers say its too late if you havent started now and some people say it doesnt matter. I tried starting small revision every day but as days go by i forget what i learn the previous days. My previous revisions dont stay in my head. Im quite worried as there is 15 poems and two books for me to memorise aswell.

I'm doing my GCSEs this year as well and my teacher would say that you should do small amounts of revision on different subjects every day starting from now however this also doesn't work for me as 1) I'm lazy and 2)it doesn't get in my head, instead for exams I cram everything the day before and I get alright results, but for the real GCSEs I'm trying to do at least 2 hours of revision a week. by the way, how do you revise? flashcards? or mindmaps? cuz if the strategy you're doing atm is not working you should change it.
Reply 2
Original post by hallaluliah
I'm doing my GCSEs this year as well and my teacher would say that you should do small amounts of revision on different subjects every day starting from now however this also doesn't work for me as 1) I'm lazy and 2)it doesn't get in my head, instead for exams I cram everything the day before and I get alright results, but for the real GCSEs I'm trying to do at least 2 hours of revision a week. by the way, how do you revise? flashcards? or mindmaps? cuz if the strategy you're doing atm is not working you should change it.

Im honestly so lazy and the biggest procastinator too even though yet i still want good results. I watch vids on youtube for like maths for example or science and do practise questions and write notes down , practice papers and etc. But it really doesnt help especially maths which im failing atm. Because reading off a book doesnt help either neither does maths past papers. Flashcards dont help either i dont know what method to do anymore.
Original post by Chi2020
Im honestly so lazy and the biggest procastinator too even though yet i still want good results. I watch vids on youtube for like maths for example or science and do practise questions and write notes down , practice papers and etc. But it really doesnt help especially maths which im failing atm. Because reading off a book doesnt help either neither does maths past papers. Flashcards dont help either i dont know what method to do anymore.

well, you should talk to your teachers and ask them to recommend any other revision techniques, in my school we sometimes have a whole day of off timetable to learn different revision techniques and exam techniques. I also have to remember 15 poems and 1 book and 2 plays, for the 15 poems you should only remember like 5 or 6 that cover more themes and link with more poems. Revising all of them is pointless. my headteacher tells us that we should put a little bit of info on each flashcard instead of cramming it with info. you can go to tuition too
Hi, I sat my exams in 2019 and I started revising by making all my resources and mindmaps from December , I started actually memorising content around February time and spent time doing past papers too. Honestly speaking for those grades 8/9s , you can’t be revising only 2 hours a week. It should be 2/3 hours a DAY. About the 15 poems , I definitely did not memorise all of them , I memorised 4 - poems that had a lot of themes and I still got a 9 so it’s doable . For chemistry and physics it was mainly past papers !!!! I cannot stress this enough, in the aqa chem exam 6 questions came that I had seen before and these were extended questions too.
(edited 4 years ago)
About the laziness , I’m definitely lazy too, I would sit for days and do nothing and I’m still like that today, just remember when your too tired, give yourself a break. If you have any questions I’m here to help:smile:
Reply 6
Thank you for your responses do you know whats an effective way to revise for maths for the mocks because my mocks are in 10 days and im failing maths bad😪
Original post by Chi2020
Thank you for your responses do you know whats an effective way to revise for maths for the mocks because my mocks are in 10 days and im failing maths bad😪

honestly, with maths it's just practice questions. i'm sure that if you go online on tes, maths genie and physics and maths tutor you can find lots of practice questions. also, if you have the money to spare, the cgp workbooks are very useful.
Original post by Chi2020
Hi everyone ,
Im going to be sitting the 2020 gcse examinations and im wondering when is the right time to start revising because teachers say its too late if you havent started now and some people say it doesnt matter. I tried starting small revision every day but as days go by i forget what i learn the previous days. My previous revisions dont stay in my head. Im quite worried as there is 15 poems and two books for me to memorise aswell.

i only started properly revising for my mocks, which were in january, but i would recommend going over the new content you learn each week over the weekend. i started revising more intensely around march/april.
i can see you're worried about memorising quotes for your english lit exam, so here's my advice:
- for the books, make quotation banks for each major theme and character. you will find that there are some quotes that can apply to multiple themes and multiple characters. put these quotes on quizlet and go through them regularly - i did my gcses two years ago and because of this technique i can remember some random quotes even now. also remember that when you're talking about certain events in the book, you can paraphrase as well, so try not to memorise really hefty quotes.
- for the poems, go through them and find the five major literary techniques used in each poem. for each technique, learn some quotes that demonstrate that technique (e.g. if you wanted to say there's pathetic fallacy, you could learn quotes like "winter day" or whatever). again, i would use quizlet to do this.
Reply 9
Original post by Revisionaddict
Hi, I sat my exams in 2019 and I started revising by making all my resources and mindmaps from December , I started actually memorising content around February time and spent time doing past papers too. Honestly speaking for those grades 8/9s , you can’t be revising only 2 hours a week. It should be 2/3 hours a DAY. About the 15 poems , I definitely did not memorise all of them , I memorised 4 - poems that had a lot of themes and I still got a 9 so it’s do able . For chemistry and physics is was mainly past papers !!!! I cannot stress this enough, in the aqa chem exam 6 questions came that I had seen before and these were extended questions too.

Hi can I ask a question about English Lit? What sections did you do(An Inspector Calls, Power And Conflict Poems etc.) and like what were the questions/how hard were they?
Original post by mreji04
Hi can I ask a question about English Lit? What sections did you do(An Inspector Calls, Power And Conflict Poems etc.) and like what were the questions/how hard were they?

i'm not the person you replied to, but i can answer as well if you want?
Reply 11
Original post by starsmile
i'm not the person you replied to, but i can answer as well if you want?

Yeah thanks, that would be really helpful. :smile:
Original post by mreji04
Yeah thanks, that would be really helpful. :smile:

so for my english lit exam (2018) it was
- romeo and juliet: old v. young
- jane eyre: distressing experiences (this annoyed me ngl)
- lord of the flies: choice was between simon and the beast, i chose the beast
- love and relationships: singh song, but i can't remember the exact wording of the question

are you doing any of these? i personally thought the questions themselves were kind of ok (except the jane eyre one, which threw me at first) - the lord of the flies question was literally one i'd done in my y10 mock
Reply 13
- love and relationships: singh song, but i can't remember the exact wording of the question

are you doing any of these? i personally thought the questions themselves were kind of ok (except the jane eyre one, which threw me at first) - the lord of the flies question was literally one i'd done in my y10 mock

I find lord of the flies so hard just in general english lit is hard but lord of the flies throws me off.
Original post by Chi2020
I find lord of the flies so hard just in general english lit is hard but lord of the flies throws me off.

what about it do you find difficult? is it that you don't understand the book/what it's trying to say? it's been a while but if you want to dm me i'd be happy to try and help.
Reply 15
what about it do you find difficult? is it that you don't understand the book/what it's trying to say? it's been a while but if you want to dm me i'd be happy to try and help.

Just the whole book for me it just doesnt stick i dont know why. I dont understand the characters well and my teacher always gives us a question on ‘hypocrisy in the book’ . I just cant see to do well on it like i do on my english language.
Reply 16

oh damn I literally don't do any of those😂😂 but it's totally fine, at least I can sort of know how hard they can make the questions
I do:
-An Inspector Calls
-Power And Conflict Poems
-A Christmas Carol
-Macbeth

Hopefully your post helped those that do it in their school though. Thanks again <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hallaluliah

I just rewrite all the key information over and over, whether it be flashcards, revision book, or just on scrap paper and over time I remember more and more of it. At my school, the board has also produced giant excel spreadsheets with key info for each subject, and it generates 5 questions every time (with answers on the next page). I try to sit about 15 minutes each day to do them;

Triple science - Biology
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=58353

Triple Science - Physics
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=59781

Triple Science - Chemistry
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=58410
Original post by mreji04

Sorry for the late reply , yes I did inspector calls, power and conflict poems. The questions were actually suprisingly okay. I expected the worst from aqa (aka tissues). It was war photographer and shiela as a character or selfishness
Original post by 22MGolan
I just rewrite all the key information over and over, whether it be flashcards, revision book, or just on scrap paper and over time I remember more and more of it. At my school, the board has also produced giant excel spreadsheets with key info for each subject, and it generates 5 questions every time (with answers on the next page). I try to sit about 15 minutes each day to do them;

Triple science - Biology
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=58353

Triple Science - Physics
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=59781

Triple Science - Chemistry
https://insight.jcoss.org/controls/collect.aspx?naid=58410

wow, thank you for those links!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending