The Student Room Group

Stop telling me to vote.

Scroll to see replies

Vote Labour
you live in democracy. vote labour to secure it. is this something difficult to you?
Original post by RazzzBerries
It’s still a form of protest and you’ll be added to the statistic of those who spoiled their ballots. If more and more people voice their opinions this way, then it effectively sends the message “I don’t agree with any of you” and could spark a change.

Just don't think it's a particularly meaningful or substantial form of protest. It's almost like armchair activism. (well, it kind of is)
Reply 23
just do what ye want, who cares what other people have to say on this
Besides repeating what everyone else has said, politics isn't just who's on the news in parliament, politics is the tax you pay, the bins that are collected, the roads being maintained, funding in schools, the prices of food......

Politics is everything arround you, not voting if you have the chance is extremely ignorant
lmfao you can just ignore it or unfollow people that post about it if you don't want to hear about it.
OK zoomer
True, but it backs my point on what could happen if everyone tried. Of course I agree with you guys on the issues persistently pestering or using social media to influence voters, but if there isn’t a valid reason why someone can’t be bothered to put a mark on a bit of paper (which is one of the only opportunities where people have a say without others getting ahead because of race, gender, class and other inequalities in our world), then I will have to disagree in my opinion.
votey mcvoteface
if it convinces some people to get off their arse and vote, I don't care! :biggrin: I'm under no duress to view the content.
Original post by the bear
votey mcvoteface

That's still going...?? 🤣
Original post by Anonymous
This is so annoying. Like I know I have to vote, I am not a child. I just find it so annoying how everyone is virtue signaling on social media right now, people who don't know a thing about politics, all posting "vote this vote that". SHUT THE **** UP. NO ONE CARES HOW 'WOKE' YOU ARE.

kthanksbye xoxoxoxoxoxox

People are literally dying. Nothing to do with seeming woke.
Original post by Anonymous
*she snapped*

Really don't like how people use emotive language when 'teaching' you the importance of voting. People seem to have forgotten that you can get your point across without being patronising. Literally unfollowed all of the SJW friends on Instagram, they share too many graphic videos.
Genuinely will never understand why people feel the need to educate others on social media about politics. Last place I will go to for guidance.

Yeah I don't get why people are aggressively political on social media.
because it’s so important that you vote, you’d be surprised how many young people are of age yet don’t use their vote. it’s because of them that we got stuck with the tories in power for so long
Yeah I’m not hating on those with valid reasons, nor am I backing the “lazy” argument being the only argument. I just think people need to see the power of a vote, that’s all. If they still decide not to then fair enough. :yes:
Original post by tacobeth
because it’s so important that you vote, you’d be surprised how many young people are of age yet don’t use their vote. it’s because of them that we got stuck with the tories in power for so long

Then you vote for a party that promised one thing and then did the exact opposite.

Original post by DiddyDecAlt
That is absolute bull****, you don't lose rights for not voting.

You are being so ignorant. If I didn't vote I can't say to Boris Johnson..... But you promised 50000 nurses. He would say ....Did you vote for me do that. I would then say no I didn't vote because I am ignorant. He would rightly say .... well sod you then.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You are being so ignorant. If I didn't vote I can't say to Boris Johnson..... But you promised 50000 nurses. He would say ....Did you vote for me do that. I would then say no I didn't vote because I am ignorant. He would rightly say .... well sod you then.

You are being ridiculous, one can still hold politicians and parties to account for the promises they make regardless of whether you voted for them or not.

Furthermore we do not vote for PMs, we vote for our local MP and party. By your logic you can only criticise Johnson if you live in Uxbridge and South Ruislip. Does that make any reasonable sense?
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If you don't vote you lose the right to criticise the government or the opposition. Men lost their lives so you could vote

A) That's nonsense.
B) Did they? The right to vote was enshrined before both world wars occurred if that's what you're referring to.
Original post by RazzzBerries
It’s still a form of protest and you’ll be added to the statistic of those who spoiled their ballots. If more and more people voice their opinions this way, then it effectively sends the message “I don’t agree with any of you” and could spark a change.

A million people protested against going to war in Iraq. We still went.Thousands have been protesting climate change for months now. Yet at this rate we're on course to miss all targets by a long way. Its naive to think that spoiling your ballot or protesting or even voting really changes anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending