The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth Uni 2020 entry applicants

Hi everyone

We've created this thread so that you can ask any questions you have about Bournemouth University, including questions about the application process, accommodation, our facilities, student life - basically anything you'd like to know more about if you're thinking of joining us in September 2020!

Here are a few links to get you started:

Undergraduate courses
Postgraduate courses
Open Days
Accommodation
Undergraduate scholarships
Postgraduate scholarships
International students
Hear from undergraduate students
Hear from postgraduate students

If you can't find the answers to your questions on those pages, pop them in this thread and we'll do our best to answer them.

All the best

BU

Scroll to see replies

Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Hi, I've got my unconditional (have yet to make firm because I am extensively researching) and BU is my first choice right now! I don't know what to do about accommodation though.. originally my list was (in order):
Lyme Regis House
Dorchester House
Cranborne house
Bailey point (bit expensive :frown: but so pretty)
Purbeck house

However, I read some things negative things about lyme and dorchester, they don't seem to be ageing well. Now I feel like my first choice is Purbeck (heard its the party halls :wink:)? I did want a double bed though, so I need a bit of help. Has anyone stayed in Dorchester/Lyme recently and can give me an honest review (value for money).Thanks!

Edit: I was also wondering if I would receive an official offer letter in the post? Got a really fancy one from Winchester a few days after my offer and got one from Worcester today, but Bournemouth is the one that matters to me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by maddie2001
Hi, I've got my unconditional (have yet to make firm because I am extensively researching) and BU is my first choice right now! I don't know what to do about accommodation though.. originally my list was (in order):
Lyme Regis House
Dorchester House
Cranborne house
Purbeck house

However, I read some things negative things about lyme and dorchester, they don't seem to be ageing well. Now I feel like my first choice is Purbeck (heard its the party halls :wink:)? I did want a double bed though, so I need a bit of help. Has anyone stayed in Dorchester/Lyme recently and can give me an honest review (value for money).Thanks!

Edit: I was also wondering if I would receive an official offer letter in the post? Got a really fancy one from Winchester a few days after my offer and got one from Worcester today, but Bournemouth is the one that matters to me.

Congratulations on your offer! You will receive your offer pack in the post shortly :-)

With regards to the accommodation, have you visited at an open day? You can see inside the halls and be able to compare for yourself.

I didn't stay in halls but know that Lyme underwent a refurb over the summer. Dorchester gets comments on the size of the shared living areas and is the closest to the big Asda and the train station.

In terms of the party house, this varies every single year depending on who else is living there, so personally I wouldn't base my choice on the current residents and atmosphere, although saying that Home Park and Chesil House are usually the quieter options. Corfe House is over in Poole so quite a way from the campus and Bournemouth town centre.

Have you considered getting a part time job whilst at uni (possibly as a student ambassador) as it'll help to cover the expenses of a more expensive accommodation option?

I would thoroughly recommend coming to have a look around yourself, even if you've already done an open day, consider just coming back to look around accommodation :-) There's one on the 11th Dec. Failing that you could also do a virtual tour, although you won't get the same feel for it.

Vicki
Are all the accommodation options open in the December and January open day? I had a look around a few at the last open day but not all of the ones I am interested in :smile:
Original post by BU Students
Congratulations on your offer! You will receive your offer pack in the post shortly :-)

With regards to the accommodation, have you visited at an open day? You can see inside the halls and be able to compare for yourself.

I didn't stay in halls but know that Lyme underwent a refurb over the summer. Dorchester gets comments on the size of the shared living areas and is the closest to the big Asda and the train station.

In terms of the party house, this varies every single year depending on who else is living there, so personally I wouldn't base my choice on the current residents and atmosphere, although saying that Home Park and Chesil House are usually the quieter options. Corfe House is over in Poole so quite a way from the campus and Bournemouth town centre.

Have you considered getting a part time job whilst at uni (possibly as a student ambassador) as it'll help to cover the expenses of a more expensive accommodation option?

I would thoroughly recommend coming to have a look around yourself, even if you've already done an open day, consider just coming back to look around accommodation :-) There's one on the 11th Dec. Failing that you could also do a virtual tour, although you won't get the same feel for it.

Vicki

Hey I've also received an Unconditional for Bournemouth which I'm very happy about!! I was just wondering if you had any advice on bringing a car to first year of uni as I know not all halls offer parking facilities??
Are all the accommodation options open in the December and January open day? I had a look around a few at the last open day but not all of the ones I am interested in :smile:

Hi maddie2001

At our December event, the Student Village, Lyme Regis House, Cranborne House and Dorchester House will be open. At the January Open Day, the Student Village, Lyme Regis House, Cranborne House and Bailey Point will be open.

Thanks

Sarah
Received an unconditional a few days ago within a week of applying which was a great surprise as I didn't think my grades were anything crazy.I am particularly interested in the ensuite UG flats in Purbeck House that have separate kitchens, will Purbeck House be open to visitors on the Wednesday 11th December open day?It is very likely I will firm it but does it make any difference if I firm it now rather than later? Does it give me an advantage? I am still not 100% sure I want to commit to doing to the course for 4 years and should make sure I do to avoid problems later on.Finally will I be recieving a welcome pack in the mail soon?
Original post by askayoi
Received an unconditional a few days ago within a week of applying which was a great surprise as I didn't think my grades were anything crazy.I am particularly interested in the ensuite UG flats in Purbeck House that have separate kitchens, will Purbeck House be open to visitors on the Wednesday 11th December open day?It is very likely I will firm it but does it make any difference if I firm it now rather than later? Does it give me an advantage? I am still not 100% sure I want to commit to doing to the course for 4 years and should make sure I do to avoid problems later on.Finally will I be recieving a welcome pack in the mail soon?

they cant retract your unconditional, so personally i’m going to wait a bit longer until i am 100% sure! it’s a big decision that comes with a lot of debt.. i’m reading reviews and ‘the tab’ and looking at accommodation reviews as well. take everything with a pinch of salt because everyone has their own opinion. i’m probably going to firm accept, earliest about january/february time.

also, i got a little booklet a few days ago and i got my offer on the 8th november.. so they take their time. wish it was a fancy letter though
they cant retract your unconditional, so personally i’m going to wait a bit longer until i am 100% sure! it’s a big decision that comes with a lot of debt.. i’m reading reviews and ‘the tab’ and looking at accommodation reviews as well. take everything with a pinch of salt because everyone has their own opinion. i’m probably going to firm accept, earliest about january/february time.

also, i got a little booklet a few days ago and i got my offer on the 8th november.. so they take their time. wish it was a fancy letter though

Yes that is a very wise decision. As you said everything can be taken with a pinch of salt, people can exaggerate or lie as well.
Original post by askayoi
Yes that is a very wise decision. As you said everything can be taken with a pinch of salt, people can exaggerate or lie as well.

what are you studying? i’m doing forensic investigative psychology!
what are you studying? i’m doing forensic investigative psychology!

Business IT, although they stressed the fact that I have the opportunity to switch to the other 7 computing courses as there is a common first year. Admittedly I didn't go to that many open days but the lecturer there was far more enthusiastic about the subject than other unis. The town is great as well, everything about it seems awesome lol.
Original post by askayoi
Business IT, although they stressed the fact that I have the opportunity to switch to the other 7 computing courses as there is a common first year. Admittedly I didn't go to that many open days but the lecturer there was far more enthusiastic about the subject than other unis. The town is great as well, everything about it seems awesome lol.

how pretty is the campus though! i definitely got the best feel for it out of the many unis i visited.
how pretty is the campus though! i definitely got the best feel for it out of the many unis i visited.

Yep Talbot is nice and condensed compared to other Uni's that have different buildings widely spread across a town. I haven't been to Landsdowne but I'm pretty sure everywhere I would need to go is within 10 minutes walking distance of each other.
Lyme Regis House
Dorchester House
Cranborne house
Purbeck house

hey! i’ve firmed my unconditional at bournemouth and i’m really struggling between lyme and purbeck 😂 we’re in the same boat hahah!!
Original post by hannah1389
hey! i’ve firmed my unconditional at bournemouth and i’m really struggling between lyme and purbeck 😂 we’re in the same boat hahah!!

omg whatt those are my top two right now 😂😂 i cant decide between paying extra for a double bed
Original post by jem.bowring
Hey I've also received an Unconditional for Bournemouth which I'm very happy about!! I was just wondering if you had any advice on bringing a car to first year of uni as I know not all halls offer parking facilities??

Hey, as far as I know, no halls have parking and parking in Bournemouth as a whole is very limited. You can buy monthly permits for some of the multi story car parks (not run by the uni), there's one down madeira road you could look into, the closest halls to that would be Cranborne, Purbeck, Bailey Point and Chesil House. On road parking you usually have to pay for, and those that you don't have to it's usually only 30 mins.

Most students don't bring their cars to BU for that reason, most of the halls are next to the train station, a big Asda, the bars, shops, beach, Lansdowne facilities and only a short bus journey to Talbot (where there is also limited parking).
omg whatt those are my top two right now 😂😂 i cant decide between paying extra for a double bed

me too! and lyme is also closer to town & asda😂
Original post by BU Students

Vicki

Might be a stupid question, but what is an offer pack?
Original post by AlanFeverQ
Might be a stupid question, but what is an offer pack?

i would also like to know 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending