The Student Room Group

Who works while at uni?

Poll

Do you work while at uni?

How much time do you think you spend earning vs. studying? (20/80 split? 50/50 split?)

Do you work during term time or do you work during the holidays?

How do you think this affects your studying?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I work term time and holidays, roughly 15 hours a week.

I probably have a 50/50 split, but my course is 10 contact hours so I have plenty of time to study too. To be honest, I think working helps me to not feel like I've got to constantly be doing something as I can't often relax without feeling bad for doing so.

As for the balance, I think it helps me to not procrastinate as when I have a free moment I know I need to do some studying otherwise I'll just end up having to do all nighters to keep up.

Only downside is that I don't have a social life, but oh well.
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
How much time do you think you spend earning vs. studying? (20/80 split? 50/50 split?)

I don't currently work part-time at uni or during the holidays as I'm in my 1st year and still settling in. However, I've been very active in helping the York Lib Dems campaign in York Outer (one of our target seats) since I'm a member of UoY Lib Dems and sit on the committee - have managed to find a balance between that. :smile:
I don't and I have no idea how people manage it (even part-time). That's some serious work ethic.
I've always had to work during undergrad and postgrad studies.
I work during term time, weekends, evenings and the holidays.
The time division for paid work:study is probably around 70:30.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

I work about 23 hours, was 27 hours. I was also studying full time in my first year, though I study part time now which is about 16-18 hours a week. It can be tough, especially as a disabled student. I'm often too tired to think or do any work. :\
I do an ambassador job and a LOT of volunteering, but nothing that pays me cash. Over the holidays I travel too much to keep a job. It is great fun though! :danceboy:
Reply 7
I'm so glad that student loans exist so that I don't need to work
Original post by Shimo
I'm so glad that student loans exist so that I don't need to work

sometimes student loan is only 4168, so you can't afford to cover accomodation.............
Reply 9
Yep... I did. Is a good preparation for life. I did totally demolish two grand of orange juice into broken glass but... sorry!
Reply 10
I worked 15-20 hours a week as part of the University accommodation team in my final year. During holidays I would work full time hours.

It really helped in getting a job once graduating!
This thread has actually made me feel so good about my life choices. I don't need to work, as my student loan, University bursary and savings cover my accommodation and any other sundries I have. I also don't go clubbing or anything, and naturally live a fairly low cost life. I wouldn't be allowed to work in term anyway, as my University is against it. It means I use my vacations primarily for family, travel and other such things. I'm thinking about taking a few days work experience at my old school next vacation.

I always feel so guilty for not taking up paid work, but this thread has made me feel better about my situation.
I'm in a rather funky financial situation wherein my parents are divorced, and have since gone on to have quite wildly different incomes. My mum's income is pretty low, so I get very close to the maximum amount of maintanence loan as it's her place that counts as my 'household' for student loan purposes (it's also her address on my passport, all my bank accounts, and such like). This level of household income also entitles me to a £100 a month bursary. My dad, being a pretty well off bloke, agreed with my mother that the child support he was paying her (£300 a month) would go to me if I went to uni. Mans went to uni, bonjour to an extra £3.6k a year.

So no, I do not work. It's hard to find motivation for it as I run an absurdly good budget surplus for a student. Think I'm gonna look into volunteering over the summer, otherwise my CV coming out of uni is gonna be bare as hell.
No but I might
I do but because I’m in final year now it is no more than 10 hours a week, and I often take on the odd flexible job here and there.
Would if I could (in the holidays anyway since my course is 100% coursework and very intense in that way) however I've applied to literally hundreds and noone wants me :frown: (no change there then). Unless you know someone who works there or are some distance cousin it's impossible to get anything.
I need the money since am on the minimum loan thanks to a rich but unsupportive father but it is what it is at this point, can't wait to graduate and apply for jobs you need qualifications for so I'm not competing with every man and their dog who wants to work in McDonald's part time at 16.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by vicvic38
This thread has actually made me feel so good about my life choices. I don't need to work, as my student loan, University bursary and savings cover my accommodation and any other sundries I have. I also don't go clubbing or anything, and naturally live a fairly low cost life. I wouldn't be allowed to work in term anyway, as my University is against it. It means I use my vacations primarily for family, travel and other such things. I'm thinking about taking a few days work experience at my old school next vacation.

I always feel so guilty for not taking up paid work, but this thread has made me feel better about my situation.

Same with the low cost life stuff, people might think I'm boring as I dislike noise, crowds, alcohol and partying however it has the benefit of keeping life costs down and my dislike of social activity is the only reason I can scrape by on £3K a year
Original post by CoolCavy
Same with the low cost life stuff, people might think I'm boring as I dislike noise, crowds, alcohol and partying however it has the benefit of keeping life costs down and my dislike of social activity is the only reason I can scrape by on £3K a year

Such a mood honestly.

I can afford to eat nicely because I detest clubbing.
I work 10 hrs a week
I am a mature student and have commitments so I dont have much choice.
I try to work no more than 20 hours a week though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending