The Student Room Group

End rough sleeping by 2027

The Torres has pledged to end rough sleeping by 2027, is this possible? More and more people are living on the street, due to the Tories benefit cuts.

Scroll to see replies

Rough sleeping will never end as some choose it.

We could drastically reduce it by building a lot of social homes, investing heavily in mental health care, investing in substance rehabilitation centres and lastly social services.

It would cost a lot but I believe at the very least the first three on that list are a priority.
Lies, they’re only going to reinforce the problem by cutting more benefits in the future mark my words because they’re under the impression that ppl are “abusing them” just because you’ve qualified for them and want them 😂
Original post by nathan_nacu
Lies, they’re only going to reinforce the problem by cutting more benefits in the future mark my words because they’re under the impression that ppl are “abusing them” just because you’ve qualified for them and want them 😂

Agreed. I am stuggling to think of one policy the Tories introduced that made life better for all.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. I am stuggling to think of one policy the Tories introduced that made life better for all.

Honestly, I just get confused how the government creates benefits and sets guidelines for who can receive them, then when they see the large number of ppl who fit the guidelines instead of solving the issue they just make them less attainable. I remember someone once told me ppl ‘abuse’ the benefits, but how is one abusing benefits that they are qualified for by guidelines that the government themselves set? Madness.......... just want money. The best part is they say the money will go elsewhere to better places then....... it just evaporates
If we put enough money into it and had a bit more activism around it, then yes. Unfortunately, that requires the gov. to pass laws and well, they're on 70k a year. Not saying a lab government would be better (might be) but I don't think any politician understands what it's like to be on benefits. (edit: and therefore understand why people sleep rough in the first place.)
Original post by paul514
Rough sleeping will never end as some choose it.

We could drastically reduce it by building a lot of social homes, investing heavily in mental health care, investing in substance rehabilitation centres and lastly social services.

It would cost a lot but I believe at the very least the first three on that list are a priority.

Yea, well, not many choose that life mate I have that from a pretty reliable source. However you are correct some simply cannot cope with the complexity of modern life and choose to live in hostels etc.

I hope I'm wrong about the Tories led by Boris Johnson, it's not my political ideal this middle ground low taxation, high public service Tony Blair style unicorn, that this government describes. I hope they prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nathan_nacu
Honestly, I just get confused how the government creates benefits and sets guidelines for who can receive them, then when they see the large number of ppl who fit the guidelines instead of solving the issue they just make them less attainable. I remember someone once told me ppl ‘abuse’ the benefits, but how is one abusing benefits that they are qualified for by guidelines that the government themselves set? Madness.......... just want money. The best part is they say the money will go elsewhere to better places then....... it just evaporates

Agreed. Same with tax. Everyone hates people who avoid tax but given the opportunity everyone will try to avoid paying tax. Entitlement work for the individual but not for society.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. Same with tax. Everyone hates people who avoid tax but given the opportunity everyone will try to avoid paying tax. Entitlement work for the individual but not for society.

If I got a latter tomorrow saying I had to pay a bit more tax to make things a bit better for everyone i'd be pretty happy. It's not everyone.

(Y'know, assuming for a weird second they actually did that)
Original post by StriderHort
If I got a latter tomorrow saying I had to pay a bit more tax to make things a bit better for everyone i'd be pretty happy. It's not everyone.

(Y'know, assuming for a weird second they actually did that)

But similarly, if you could rearrange you affairs so that you were only paying 10% tax compared to roughly 30% perfectly legal I am sure you would have a long hard think.
Original post by ByEeek
But similarly, if you could rearrange you affairs so that you were only paying 10% tax compared to roughly 30% perfectly legal I am sure you would have a long hard think.

You mean if some dodgy weekend accountant type working above a chippy told me that 'tax avoidance schemes' were the new big thing for instance? Yeah I'd have a long think about not using them, seeing the plethora of people who have been publicly hounded or prosecuted. Yes, there are people who will always take whatever they can get, but there are people who will give all they can and those inbetween. Don't dismiss therm. :smile:

The trouble with basically calling everyone a hypocrite is that not everyone is the same, so people will always take issue.
Original post by ByEeek

Took me a min find, this is a scene (2:15, soz I tried to cue it) from one of the really early Simpsons episodes, IMO perfectly explains that when it comes to contributions there are very different types of people. No one looks at Homer with anger here, just pity and shame.

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

Depends what type of person you are.
The biggest reason is the lack of temporary social housing resulting from decades of state incompetence when it comes to housing policy. We need a massive expansion of temporary housing and then to detain rough sleepers to the accommodation where they can be forced cold turkey and register for welfare.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Depends what type of person you are.

Agreed. However it seems that Thatcher's "There is no such thing as society," has become a self fulfilling prophecy sadly.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. However it seems that Thatcher's "There is no such thing as society," has become a self fulfilling prophecy sadly.

Well Thatcher did a hell of a lot of harm, however shes not to blame for everything and society is not as broken as you might think.
Reply 16
Sure, you can make a big dent in rough sleeping. Boris Johnson will be familiar with this after introducing the No Second Night Out programme when he was Mayor of London. As mentioned above, councils actually have to start fulfilling their obligations in terms of temporary housing - most come nowhere near.

But unless we return to the pre-1970s programme of mass institutionalisation of drunks, drug addicts and people with mental health problems, it simply won't be eliminated at all. There is already a lot of provision for those at risk of rough sleeping - many on the streets simply are too problematic to be accommodated in most conditions. They need help, but it is about far, far more than roof over their heads - and some, I expect, you will never be able to help.
'ending rough sleeping' is about as achievable as 'ending child poverty' It's an unrealistic soundbite, to make it sound like Something Is Being Done. Nothing more.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Yea, well, not many choose that life mate I have that from a pretty reliable source. However you are correct some simply cannot cope with the complexity of modern life and choose to live in hostels etc.

I hope I'm wrong about the Tories led by Boris Johnson, it's not my political ideal this middle ground low taxation, high public service Tony Blair style unicorn, that this government describes. I hope they prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I told you the Tories are good and Labour are bad!
(edited 4 years ago)
Getting rid of all homelessness will never be possible but if enough new shelters are built to house and rehabilitate the homeless then a large majority of the homeless can be moved from the streets. 2027 seems a bit too early for this but is possible if the Tories are able to move on from Brexit. By the way the benefit cuts were necessary but I won't get into that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending