The Student Room Group

What the heck is a ”womxn” and how do you pronounce it?

So apparently ”womxn” is a Feminist™ way of spelling ”woman”. This brings to mind a few things:
Why not just write ”woman”?
And how on earth do you pronounce it?

:hmmm:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it’s because it has “man” in it. Feminists really be getting triggered over words that have been in the English dictionary since it was like invented. If they wanted to change it they should at least have made it easily pronounceable.
What is this
Not gonna lie. I do consider myself a feminist, but have no idea what "womxn" stands for or what the real motive behind such a word is. Just now got to know from both your posts😂
No idea.

I prefer to use the word whamen.
If feminists are truly intersectional, they should have considered people who's languages do not contain the W and X sounds. By rights, I should be able to claim 5 Oppression Points for this microagression against Finnish speakers who cannot pronounce ”womxn” and must instead say ”vomksn”. (notes on why ”vomksn” is grammatically incorrect in spoiler)

Spoiler

Original post by TheMadNerd93
Not gonna lie. I do consider myself a feminist, but have no idea what "womxn" stands for or what the real motive behind such a word is. Just now got to know from both your posts😂

Same

Don't tar all feminists with the same brush - we're not all nutters just because a few are :redface:
I assume they also want the following changes
Oman to Omxn
Roman to Romxm
Romantic to Romxntic
Reply 8
This makes sense to me. I’ve started saying magpxe instead of magpie since it contains the word “pie” and I’m on a diet.
Reply 9
People who claim feminists are all man hating triggered people are just as stupid and triggered as what they make fun of :colonhash:

If you want equal rights for women, you're a feminist.
Reply 10
Original post by OddOnes

This is the only definition of feminism shared by all feminists. Back to basics.
Original post by Ascend
Back to basics.

Didn't realise you were such a fan of rap
Feminists like this don't represent us all, promise!
Original post by Em.-.
I think it’s because it has “man” in it. Feminists really be getting triggered over words that have been in the English dictionary since it was like invented. If they wanted to change it they should at least have made it easily pronounceable.

*sigh* those are pseudo-liberals and their efforts seem to be working judging by this thread’s replies
Original post by LiberOfLondon
So apparently ”womxn” is a Feminist™ way of spelling ”woman”. This brings to mind a few things:
Why not just write ”woman”?
And how on earth do you pronounce it?

:hmmm:

"Womxn" comes from a group of feminists called Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists (TERFS) and acts as a reference to a beliefx that chromozones denote one's gender identity.
Pronounced woman :lol:
Nothing new except the use of blogs and social media- just the same old attempt to socially stigmatise use of the words "man" and "male".
My father's been doing this type of thing for as long as I can remember, probably was the same in the 1970s.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
No idea.

I prefer to use the word whamen.

Waemen, woemen, ŵœmėn
Original post by OddOnes
People who claim feminists are all man hating triggered people are just as stupid and triggered as what they make fun of :colonhash:

Those types of people are feminazis and believe that women are actually better than men
Original post by sinfonietta
Feminists like this don't represent us all, promise!

I’d like to think of myself as a male feminist, if that’s at all allowed (cos feminazis be craaaazy)

Quick Reply

Latest