The Student Room Group

Finding uni hard

Hi so,

I recently started University in September and I’m finding it very difficult. As part of our degree and every degree we have to write essays, which I am not very good at. I really struggled to write the last one, my grammar and spelling was rubbish. And I find it really hard to get my thoughts down on paper. We also had lectures to give us ideas but I don’t learn anything from readying on whiteboards or reading in general, all the words get jumbled and they go straight through me and it makes me angry that I find it so hard to learn.
I also find it hard to speak often and I always say the wrong words or get words jumbled up, I looked at pain earlier which was clearly purple and I processed that it was purple but kept calling it red and I don’t know why? I’m super clumsy too and walk into and trip over everything, my spatial awareness is rubbish.
Anyway I’m finding uni hard and overwhelming, everyone in my group is always getting in with work but I find it hard to get ideas and just think! I get overwhelmed very easy and I have to leave the room and go for a walk, I find it difficult to sit still for a long time.
Any ideas to help?
My friends are saying I should get tested for dyslexia/ dyspraxia? I’m not sure what’s going on.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mh250400
Hi so,

I recently started University in September and I’m finding it very difficult. As part of our degree and every degree we have to write essays, which I am not very good at. I really struggled to write the last one, my grammar and spelling was rubbish. And I find it really hard to get my thoughts down on paper. We also had lectures to give us ideas but I don’t learn anything from readying on whiteboards or reading in general, all the words get jumbled and they go straight through me and it makes me angry that I find it so hard to learn.
I also find it hard to speak often and I always say the wrong words or get words jumbled up, I looked at pain earlier which was clearly purple and I processed that it was purple but kept calling it red and I don’t know why? I’m super clumsy too and walk into and trip over everything, my spatial awareness is rubbish.
Anyway I’m finding uni hard and overwhelming, everyone in my group is always getting in with work but I find it hard to get ideas and just think! I get overwhelmed very easy and I have to leave the room and go for a walk, I find it difficult to sit still for a long time.
Any ideas to help?
My friends are saying I should get tested for dyslexia/ dyspraxia? I’m not sure what’s going on.

I agree with your friends, you should get tested just to be sure.

It might have something to do with the course that you are taking and if you want to you could switch courses, to a more suited one for you, one that might make you more enthusiastic, more determined or happier.

Maybe you just need more time to get used to University life, if so then just give yourself at least a year to see if you at least get the hang of things, after that year you could decide if University life is really just not for you.

You should try to visit a doctor or a counsellor and try to explain your situation if you want professional help.

Maybe another solution could also be to have a relaxing day, a day to chillax and gather your thoughts together.

Don't worry or panic. It will be fine.:h:
Reply 2
My course it pretty easy, it’s only Art so I don’t feel like I need to change I’m just finding it hard to get into and I don’t know it education is for me anymore. But as you said I need to settle into it so I’ll carry on and see how things go. I just really struggle with confidence and that so I find it hard to talk to people about how I feel so going to the doctors or someone for help is a really scary thing for me, the thought of it makes me feel really really sick. But tomorrow I have a meeting about all of this and I’m so nervous about it, I don’t like talking to people about how I feel. I get really ill and shaky thinking about it. But I need to get some help so it’ll do me good I guess!
I took myself for a nice chilled walk earlier to calm myself down but it doesn’t always work! I overthink absolutely everything! I find it really hard to deal with me emotions.
My course it pretty easy, it’s only Art so I don’t feel like I need to change I’m just finding it hard to get into and I don’t know it education is for me anymore. But as you said I need to settle into it so I’ll carry on and see how things go. I just really struggle with confidence and that so I find it hard to talk to people about how I feel so going to the doctors or someone for help is a really scary thing for me, the thought of it makes me feel really really sick. But tomorrow I have a meeting about all of this and I’m so nervous about it, I don’t like talking to people about how I feel. I get really ill and shaky thinking about it. But I need to get some help so it’ll do me good I guess!
I took myself for a nice chilled walk earlier to calm myself down but it doesn’t always work! I overthink absolutely everything! I find it really hard to deal with me emotions.

Don't be afraid to let out your thoughts and feelings, the person you will be seeing is there probably because it's their job to be there, and they most likely just want to genuinely help you and will understand the position you are in and take it into account. Just remember that they just want to help you and get you out of your difficult situation. As you said, it will do you good.

Maybe you should try other ways of relaxing, one of the most common ways of relaxing for people is escaping from reality, so read a fiction/fantasy book, listen to music and create your own world, watch tv, watch youtube videos on the universe and listen to classical music.

Overthinking is not necessarily bad, it has it's pros and cons but in your case of overthinking everything I think it's just knowing your limit, and learning how to snap out of overthinking one subject too much.

When I overthink I usually like to go online and research the universe and look at pictures of nebulas, and that always snaps me out from overthinking as I switch the subject in my mind.

Emotions can be overwhelming but they can be contained and controlled if you understand where they come from and how to control them.

As I said before, do not worry or panic because it will be fine in the end.
There is a solution to your problems, and that's good, as some problems don't have solutions and you are lucky that your problems have a solution, you just need to find the solution.
Hi so,

Any ideas to help?

Do you have a tendency to imagine things in your mind a lot?
Reply 5
Original post by JokesOnYoo
Do you have a tendency to imagine things in your mind a lot?

Yeah a lot!
Yeah a lot!

yeah thats why, you are exactly like me. Im going to write a book about everything that i think will help students
But essentially if you are a visual thinker, you're probably highly intelligent and a good abstract thinker, but too much abstract thinking when you are still receiving sensory information will put you off into space. The brain associates your abstract reality with your actual reality if you end up imagine too much, if you imagine things a lot then its best to close your eyes while doing it, your brain the only associates darkness with abstract thoughts, other ways which can help are to name out loud objects when you see them and say out loud when you touch object. A doctor will not be able to help you here because but it takes one to know one in this case, visual thinkers are quite rare around 1/3 or less of all students
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah I can think of if lot of things and imagine it I just find it really hard to get the things I think of and ideas down onto paper. I find it hard to process information, to much information or instructions at once it way to overwhelming for me and then I start to stress! But your book sounds like a great idea!
It's university, it isn't supposed to be easy no matter what course you're on.

You're fully independent now so you have to find ways of studying and writing that suit you.
If you don't learn from lectures, find a different way of learning - Watch videos, make flashcards, visit educational places related to your degree, listen to podcasts.

No doubt there's plenty of academic support in uni to help you with these things, you just have to actively find them - My uni has essay writing and public speaking workshops for example, take advantage of these things.

I agree with your friends though, it may be the safe option to get tested. If you did have dyspraxia then your university will be able to support you in this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I can think of if lot of things and imagine it I just find it really hard to get the things I think of and ideas down onto paper. I find it hard to process information, to much information or instructions at once it way to overwhelming for me and then I start to stress! But your book sounds like a great idea!

Do you read a lot of books? if not it might be a good idea to start reading more, you can also translate what you read into abstract thoughts, thats where it becomes fun :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by JokesOnYoo
Do you read a lot of books? if not it might be a good idea to start reading more, you can also translate what you read into abstract thoughts, thats where it becomes fun :smile:

No I don’t tend to read, I don’t read very well. I mix up words and I just can’t make sense from a book I don’t remember anything from a book. Wish I liked to read but I don’t!
Hi so,

Any ideas to help?

I 'd speak to student support, if you do have dyslexia and dyspraxia, getting a diagnosis at university is one of the easiest times to do it. I have both and a lot of what you say is "symptoms" per say.
No I don’t tend to read, I don’t read very well. I mix up words and I just can’t make sense from a book I don’t remember anything from a book. Wish I liked to read but I don’t!

Could you give a few examples of what you find difficult when reading, is it only the misreading of words?
Reply 13
I often mix up the words and sentances and will read half of one sentence and manage to skip to another. And I just don’t understand anything when I read a book, and I don’t understand a lot of the words don’t know how to read them!
Omds i feel the same and at uni too
Reply 15
Another thing is I’ll read a line then when I’m onto the next line I would already completely of forgotten what the last line was about, it’s strange
Reply 16
I’m being screened for both dyslexia and dyspraxia next week, spoke to someone at uni today. She said there’s symptoms of both so we shall see. Was so nervous speaking to her, I get really panicky when having to speak to someone about needing help!
That's good.
You're taking a step in figuring out the problem.:redface:
Reply 18
Yeah, had my screening today it came back with high probability with dyslexia and she also said properly dyspraxia but having the full diagnostic assessment in a few months to see why they can find! But uni is getting super hard now, really struggling with it all
Yeah, had my screening today it came back with high probability with dyslexia and she also said properly dyspraxia but having the full diagnostic assessment in a few months to see why they can find! But uni is getting super hard now, really struggling with it all

Well, that's sort of good to know.:h:

To be honest I have nothing left to say... I'm going to think about it all now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending