The Student Room Group

What is it like to settle/live in Japan?

I am considering moving to Japan from UK and I was wondering if anyone has lived there enough to share with me their experiences. Many thanks
No exp myself, but this article always stuck in my mind

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan
I lived there for 2 years. I studied Japanese, French and Spanish at university and I was already an advanced speaker when I went there for the first time. I had also had quite a few friends as well. I stayed in an all-male Japanese dormitory.

1 year in Tokyo as a student = study exchange via university. I stayed in an all-male Japanese dormitory that had about 300 Japanese students and 15 foreign students. The dormitory was an elite dormitory as well - it mirrored itself to Hogwarts and was somewhat Eton-esque... Students from elite universities like Tokyo University, Meiji University, Waseda University and Sophia University etc mostly occupied the residence.

1 year in both Tokyo and Sapporo as a full-time employee = worked for 9 months in Tokyo and then 3 months on a business trip in Sapporo.

What questions do you have exactly? Might be easier if you asked me specific questions in bullet points or something so I can answer what you're wanting to know.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
I lived there for 2 years. I studied Japanese, French and Spanish at university and I was already an advanced speaker when I went there for the first time. I had also had quite a few friends as well. I stayed in an all-male Japanese dormitory

1 year in Tokyo as a student = study exchange via university. I stayed in an all-male Japanese dormitory that had about 300 Japanese students and 15 foreign students. The dormitory was an elite dormitory as well - it mirrored itself to Hogwarts and was somewhat Eton-esque... Students from elite universities like Tokyo University, Meiji University, Waseda University and Sophia University etc mostly occupied the residence.

1 year in both Tokyo and Sapporo as a full-time employee = worked for 9 months in Tokyo and then 3 months on a business trip in Sapporo.

What questions do you have exactly? Might be easier if you asked me specific questions in bullet points or something so I can answer what you're wanting to know.

I truly appreciate your response and your suggestion!

So here are my questions:

1. How did you learn Japanese prior to going to Japan?
2. What made you go to study and work in Japan? Did you have a lot of savings prior to getting there (not interested in the amount you had saved, just curious about initial living costs)?
3. How hard is it to get a working/study visa as a UK citizen? Long process?
4. What is the working ethic/culture like? How are the people treating you as a foreigner? On the street or at work?
5. How hard/easy was the university application? What process did you follow in applying? Or was it through UK university that you went as an exchange student? Have you received any scholarships?
6. How hard/easy is it to rent your own place as a foreigner? Did you pay your own rent after finishing university? If so, did your salary suffice in terms of living costs?
7. Are the UK degrees/qualifications (BA, BSc, MBA, MSC) widely recognised in Japan?

I assume you left the country, why so? If you could give me some pros and cons, that would be great!

Thank you very much for taking the time in answering my questions! Please do ask any questions if you are unclear about anything!

Many thanks
bump
Original post by robotico2014
bump

Hey, will reply later today. Just been a little busy. My apologies. :fluffy:
Original post by Quick-use
Hey, will reply later today. Just been a little busy. My apologies. :fluffy:

Not to worry! I will be looking forward to your reply. :wink:
Check out the YouTube channel 'Abroad In Japan'
He moved there years ago to become an English teacher there, and he's made loads of videos on Japanese culture and what it's like to live there. As well as a few 'useful phrase' language videos.

Really entertaining guy too.
Reply 8
I truly appreciate your response and your suggestion!

So here are my questions:

1. How did you learn Japanese prior to going to Japan?
2. What made you go to study and work in Japan? Did you have a lot of savings prior to getting there (not interested in the amount you had saved, just curious about initial living costs)?
3. How hard is it to get a working/study visa as a UK citizen? Long process?
4. What is the working ethic/culture like? How are the people treating you as a foreigner? On the street or at work?
5. How hard/easy was the university application? What process did you follow in applying? Or was it through UK university that you went as an exchange student? Have you received any scholarships?
6. How hard/easy is it to rent your own place as a foreigner? Did you pay your own rent after finishing university? If so, did your salary suffice in terms of living costs?
7. Are the UK degrees/qualifications (BA, BSc, MBA, MSC) widely recognised in Japan?

I assume you left the country, why so? If you could give me some pros and cons, that would be great!

Thank you very much for taking the time in answering my questions! Please do ask any questions if you are unclear about anything!

Many thanks

I've also worked in Japan, albeit for a much shorter period of time, so I'll answer based on my experience, but be aware it's pretty niche.

1. I didn't. Error. I tried to get the basics "hello", "goodbye", "please", "thank you", etc. But I was going to an international company to work with other English speakers, so it wasn't a priority for me.

2. I was offered a job there. Other than satisfying the criteria for the working visa (having x amount of money available to me and a return flight booked) I didn't need much. The company I was with had accommodation that was very reasonable and the cost taken out of my wages.

3. Very quick. Had to visit the embassy, but it came through in a week or two. Painless.

4. I was in a non-office environment, so it doesn't really compare. Where I was was a curious mix of middle classes used to people traveling in and out, people also working in the same industry and therefore fine with 'whites', and local very traditional folk who would cross the road rather than have to walk their child past a foreigner...

5. N/A

6. N/A

7. N/A

I left after my contract finished. Was only ever going to be a seasonal position. Have considered going back, but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet.
Original post by Drewski
I've also worked in Japan, albeit for a much shorter period of time, so I'll answer based on my experience, but be aware it's pretty niche.

1. I didn't. Error. I tried to get the basics "hello", "goodbye", "please", "thank you", etc. But I was going to an international company to work with other English speakers, so it wasn't a priority for me.

2. I was offered a job there. Other than satisfying the criteria for the working visa (having x amount of money available to me and a return flight booked) I didn't need much. The company I was with had accommodation that was very reasonable and the cost taken out of my wages.

3. Very quick. Had to visit the embassy, but it came through in a week or two. Painless.

4. I was in a non-office environment, so it doesn't really compare. Where I was was a curious mix of middle classes used to people traveling in and out, people also working in the same industry and therefore fine with 'whites', and local very traditional folk who would cross the road rather than have to walk their child past a foreigner...

5. N/A

6. N/A

7. N/A

I left after my contract finished. Was only ever going to be a seasonal position. Have considered going back, but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet.

Thank you so much for your input! Greatly appreciate your time in taking to write this! God Bless!
Original post by MidgetFever
Check out the YouTube channel 'Abroad In Japan'
He moved there years ago to become an English teacher there, and he's made loads of videos on Japanese culture and what it's like to live there. As well as a few 'useful phrase' language videos.

Really entertaining guy too.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I have been watching a lot of Japan-related Youtube channels, such as "Life Where I'm From", "Abroad in Japan", "Paolo fromTokyo" and KemushiChan. However, I just wanted to hear from other people about their experiences and a broader range of aspects.
Thank you very much for your suggestion! I have been watching a lot of Japan-related Youtube channels, such as "Life Where I'm From", "Abroad in Japan", "Paolo fromTokyo" and KemushiChan. However, I just wanted to hear from other people about their experiences and a broader range of aspects.

My bad!
I've been before for a week and a half, but I haven't really lived there so I'm not sure if I'll be able to provide any valuable insight :tongue:
My bad!
I've been before for a week and a half, but I haven't really lived there so I'm not sure if I'll be able to provide any valuable insight :tongue:

Don't feel bad! I appreciate your input!

Where did you stay? Tokyo? Were you there with friends?
Don't feel bad! I appreciate your input!

Where did you stay? Tokyo? Were you there with friends?

It was a society led trip in our university, we were meeting up with students from Aoyama University in Shibuya.
Which helped really, because we had international Japanese students from our university that went with us, it helped a lot with the language barrier. (Though the majority of us tried to learn a few introductory phrases here and there anyway)

We spent a lot of time around Harajuku because of all of the fashion stores there, was probably one of my favourite places if anything. They had a lot of really nice vintage stores there which was a surprise :tongue: Only thing I regret is not travelling out to some of the more traditional areas, I really liked the look of the traditional family-run ramen bars and whatnot, and all the beautiful temples. Maybe next time!
It was a society led trip in our university, we were meeting up with students from Aoyama University in Shibuya.
Which helped really, because we had international Japanese students from our university that went with us, it helped a lot with the language barrier. (Though the majority of us tried to learn a few introductory phrases here and there anyway)

We spent a lot of time around Harajuku because of all of the fashion stores there, was probably one of my favourite places if anything. They had a lot of really nice vintage stores there which was a surprise :tongue: Only thing I regret is not travelling out to some of the more traditional areas, I really liked the look of the traditional family-run ramen bars and whatnot, and all the beautiful temples. Maybe next time!

This is great insight! Thank you! Yeah, there is always a next time! :tongue: I wish my university would also give me the opportunity to take a trip to Japan. Unfortunately, I have to work and save money for the trip myself. I may potentially be looking at settling there, so that is why I am trying to research as much as possible about potential locations and jobs, so thank you for this!

Quick Reply

Latest