The Student Room Group

Russel Group vs other good unis: employability

I was wondering how it works in terms of employability in the UK, as firms perceive the russel group and the other unis. For example, I ve been thinking as my first choice to go to the univ of kent to study english lit and cw, but I could go to russel group unis. Its my first choice because its social environment, quality of the departments and professors and its opportunities and connexions with american publishers and unis. I think this kind of outweighs the status of russel group, right? Or do you think these factors in the UK are not as relevant as the status of the uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eccentric Goatie
I was wondering how it works in terms of employability in the UK, as firms perceive the russel group and the other unis. For example, I ve been thinking as my first choice to go to the univ of kent to study english lit and cw, but I could go to russel group unis. Its my first choice because its social environment, quality of the departments and professors and its opportunities and connexions with american publishers and unis. I think this kind of outweighs the status of russel group, right? Or do you think these factors in the UK are not as relevant as the status of the uni?

The Russell Group is just a self-selected group of research intensive universities. You will be doing the right thing by choosing Kent for the reasons you have outlined.

Employability is determined by your degree classification, work experience through internships, and your network.
Reply 2

It’s very course and career related. What matters for banking and city law matters less for teaching and not at all for being self employed.
Original post by Blue_Cow
The Russell Group is just a self-selected group of research intensive universities. You will be doing the right thing by choosing Kent for the reasons you have outlined.

Employability is determined by your degree classification, work experience through internships, and your network.

Thanks! Good point.

Between kent and UEA, what would you choose?
There are many high ranked unis not in the Russell Group - St Andrews and Bath are just two examples. There are good unis in the Russell Group, but they aren't good because they are in the Russell Group.
Original post by Treetop321
There are many high ranked unis not in the Russell Group - St Andrews and Bath are just two examples. There are good unis in the Russell Group, but they aren't good because they are in the Russell Group.

Yeah sure, but the russel group gives them strength in terms of employability right
Reply 6
Yeah sure, but the russel group gives them strength in terms of employability right

Why do you believe this?

Few people outside of educational circles likely even know what the Russell Group is or what universities are part of it.

I doubt the fact they are in the Russell Group helps. The Russell Group is based on research which for most careers won't help. The unis in the group are good for employability in their own right, with or without The Russell Group.
Original post by Smack
Few people outside of educational circles likely even know what the Russell Group is or what universities are part of it.

Dont companies and employers use it as an indicative criterion?
Original post by Treetop321
I doubt the fact they are in the Russell Group helps. The Russell Group is based on research which for most careers won't help. The unis in the group are good for employability in their own right, with or without The Russell Group.

Thanks!

The RG has nothing to do with employability. There is a trend between highly competitive jobs and RG grads, but this has more to do with in general the more academic unis are big research unis and the more academic grads lend themselves as better candidates for the super-competitve law/finance jobs that get a lot of publicity and interest (even if most people arent going into these roles).

The reality is for many careers this is irrelevant and even generally speaking doesn't hold up for example: Bath and Loughborough are both not RG yet generally speaking (and I mean very loosely speaking) have better reputation and employability then many RG unis such as Leicester, Cardiff, QMUL.

This, very much so.

What sort of things do you wish to do with your potential degree, OP? It helps to have a good idea so when can offer better advice.

Which ones?
Original post by mnot
The RG has nothing to do with employability. There is a trend between highly competitive jobs and RG grads, but this has more to do with in general the more academic unis are big research unis and the more academic grads lend themselves as better candidates for the super-competitve law/finance jobs that get a lot of publicity and interest (even if most people arent going into these roles).

The reality is for many careers this is irrelevant and even generally speaking doesn't hold up for example: Bath and Loughborough are both not RG yet generally speaking (and I mean very loosely speaking) have better reputation and employability then many RG unis such as Leicester, Cardiff, QMUL.

Thanks!

I'm dubious about that. I have seen it a couple of times (over a lot of years) - but doubt that most companies or recruitment agents know which universities are in the club and which are not.

A level scores are used far more than many people believe which could give the impression that higher ranked universities give an advantage whereas the reality is that its the admission grades that count for a lot. There are probably exceptions to this for employment sectors (banking and law for example) and certain courses that have a 'wow' factor (Oxbridge. Imperial, maths or economics at Warwick, Physics at Manchester etc).
Original post by ajj2000
I'm dubious about that. I have seen it a couple of times (over a lot of years) - but doubt that most companies or recruitment agents know which universities are in the club and which are not.

A level scores are used far more than many people believe which could give the impression that higher ranked universities give an advantage whereas the reality is that its the admission grades that count for a lot. There are probably exceptions to this for employment sectors (banking and law for example) and certain courses that have a 'wow' factor (Oxbridge. Imperial, maths or economics at Warwick, Physics at Manchester etc).

Thanks! I thought the RG was consensually known amongst people.
Thanks! I thought the RG was consensually known amongst people.

If I asked among my friends who do recruit graduates I think most would know the name but couldn't tell you which of LQM, Lancaster, St Andrews, York or Bath are members of the club. It seems a much bigger deal to people on TSR - although surprisingly few could spell it!

There may be a mental list people have of 'respectable' universities - but this varies by profession and degree course and definitely includes some universities which are not in the RG and possibly excludes some which are. Just as a note - which may be London-centric - most recruitment exercises will have a large proportion of applicants from overseas universities. They do fine without any link to the RG!
Thanks! That is a relieve tbh. Do you know which unis are more “respectable” or known to be good, have good departments in english/Lit/Creative Writing?
Thanks! That is a relieve tbh. Do you know which unis are more “respectable” or known to be good, have good departments in english/Lit/Creative Writing?

Well - there are two sides to respectable - and this is not my area. One is for people who know about the course - UEA is the place that comes to my mind but this could be 20 years out of date and based on writers I like. York used to be very highly rated for English. I guess there is a generic list of 'top universities known for arts subjects' - what I refer to as 'wow factor' places - so Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending