The Student Room Group

Engineering maths

What sort of maths is typically used in engineering at uni?
Lots, e.g. partial differential equations (waves), complex numbers (electrical, signal analysis), matrices (structural analysis). What exactly are you wanting to know?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Lots, e.g. partial differential equations (waves), complex numbers (electrical, signal analysis), matrices (structural analysis). What exactly are you wanting to know?

Everything as above, I would say partial differentials are the most common (at least in mechanical & aero), but you will have to know & regularly use all of this stuff.

Engineering degrees are basically applied maths degrees, exams are just maths problems with context. Yes they'll be some writing but this is more just describing and analysing empirical data & results.
Reply 3
Original post by LekaJ

Have a look at Stroud's "Engineering Mathematics"

You can usually get older editions cheap on Amazon (you don't need the latest one), or even better, borrow it from your library.
Original post by LekaJ

Hello!

I am currently studying mechanical engineering so have a pretty good idea of the maths used! A response mentioned Stroud's Engineering Maths and that was recommended to us in first year, however do not worry as first year is generally about getting everyone up to the same level anyway!
Most modules use rearranging and solving more complex equations, differentiation, integration, that sort of thing.
We have a module specifically called Engineering Maths, and that covers a large range of maths such as calculus, vector calculus, complex numbers, statistics, partial differentiation (used in many other modules) and transforms are a few I can think of!

Engineering is very much about applying maths to real world problems so there is a large variety of maths taught behind every subject, but it is definitely not something to be scared of!!

I hope this was helpful :smile:

~ Amy :rave:
Submit reply
Laplace Transforms, Matrices + PDEs are your best friends!

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest