The Student Room Group

If Im homeless and 16...

What will I be entitled to?

1. What kind of accommodation will I get?
2. Will I get any financial support?
3. Will I get free food?
You haven't really given enough info to get an accurate answer.

Is this when you are 18 and looking at university? Or is this now, today and you're in college?

If it's for now, you need to Google for a homeless charity near you now and they will be able to put you in touch with the right people to make sure you get immediate shelter or taken back home due to your age.

If it's about uni when you're 18, the uni will have a department that helps atypical students like yourself, usually called welfare or similar, where they can help with extra bursaries and paperwork etc. You'd get Student Finance to pay tuition and housing and living costs which you'd use to buy food and pay rent, how much you'd get you'd need to speak to them.

For now, you'd need to see what the charity suggested but you'd probably end up on UC where it's your choice how you spend the money, so you'd have to budget to pay for housing, food etc. Even normal uni students have to do their own budgets and spent their money as you like.
Original post by Lizzillo
You haven't really given enough info to get an accurate answer.

Is this when you are 18 and looking at university? Or is this now, today and you're in college?

If it's for now, you need to Google for a homeless charity near you now and they will be able to put you in touch with the right people to make sure you get immediate shelter or taken back home due to your age.

If it's about uni when you're 18, the uni will have a department that helps atypical students like yourself, usually called welfare or similar, where they can help with extra bursaries and paperwork etc. You'd get Student Finance to pay tuition and housing and living costs which you'd use to buy food and pay rent, how much you'd get you'd need to speak to them.

For now, you'd need to see what the charity suggested but you'd probably end up on UC where it's your choice how you spend the money, so you'd have to budget to pay for housing, food etc. Even normal uni students have to do their own budgets and spent their money as you like.

16, never been to college, applying to uni, resitting A levels, been homeschooled. Is that enough info?
It's better yeah!

So, have you spoken to the university you are trying to get into? Do they know you are 16,resitting a levels and homeless? That's a good place to start, they can tell you about money you may be entitled too from them and support they offer.

If you are homeless, again, speak to a local charity and jobcentre to get onto their system for the support they can provide you now. You need to get a roof over your head.

Money wise, most of the student finance/University/charity/jobcentre money you are given you will have to spend where you see fit. So while you'll get money to help with rent and food it's up to you to buy them and pay them.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending