The Student Room Group

Deferring

Hello. I'm a mature student at university of Nottingham - I'm in my final year. Thus far I've got really good grades, however, since October 2019 my mental health has gone on a continual decline. I have hardly been in uni for months because I can't face it... Being a mature student I feel really isolated which makes me feel worse. I was in the psych ward over Christmas when I had a nervous breakdown and now I've got a problem with alcohol.... I'm under the crisis team and see a therapist and I'm on medication but I'm not showing any improvement. I've had the mental health problems for 20 years and this is proving to be the worst episode yet. I am pondering deferring my studies until I feel better but I don't know what the implications of this will be. I don't know if it's the right decision cos part of me thinks I should just brave it and go in but the thought of stepping foot on the campus terrifies me. Has anyone here been in a similar situation and deferred or did they carry on despite it? I'm really in a mess - in every which way so if someone could offer some advice that would be great. Thank you.
Original post by Lowhighlander
Hello. I'm a mature student at university of Nottingham - I'm in my final year. Thus far I've got really good grades, however, since October 2019 my mental health has gone on a continual decline. I have hardly been in uni for months because I can't face it... Being a mature student I feel really isolated which makes me feel worse. I was in the psych ward over Christmas when I had a nervous breakdown and now I've got a problem with alcohol.... I'm under the crisis team and see a therapist and I'm on medication but I'm not showing any improvement. I've had the mental health problems for 20 years and this is proving to be the worst episode yet. I am pondering deferring my studies until I feel better but I don't know what the implications of this will be. I don't know if it's the right decision cos part of me thinks I should just brave it and go in but the thought of stepping foot on the campus terrifies me. Has anyone here been in a similar situation and deferred or did they carry on despite it? I'm really in a mess - in every which way so if someone could offer some advice that would be great. Thank you.

Are you talking to your university? It's really important they know what's going so that they can help you?
Original post by Grizwuld
Are you talking to your university? It's really important they know what's going so that they can help you?

They are aware that I haven't been well for some time. I have kept them informed about my mental health problems since before I started the course. I'm speaking to the welfare officer tomorrow about it and weigh up the options.
" now I've got a problem with alcohol"

That's what AA helps with. Have you tried this avenue?

Quick Reply

Latest