The Student Room Group

Ready to withdraw from university

Firstly I enjoy my course.

Secondly if you think you should be at uni just to get a degree don't bother replying to this post because you have a different point of view to me.

It's one month left of uni. I do not have the social life I wanted at uni. I feel like I've wasted my time in my first year and haven't met enough people. I've tried socities but I barely have time due to the amount of coursework piled on top of me.

When I do go to societies there's barely anyone there and it's not my type of people i.e. one was full of druggies and I'm not too interested in that.

Don't get me wrong I do have friends and have people to hang out with occasionally but I don't have an active social life and don't get to explore the city (London).

I don't get to go out much and haven't had a plan for every weekend since I got to uni. I expected to be able to explore London and go to see places I've never been to like Shoreditch or Camden town. I see people do that on Instagram while I'm stuck in my room. My friends aren't the most socially active and rarely go out. I've recently made some new friends at my accommodation that I study with but I don't go out with them. We've only been friends for a short time

I really want to meet new people and know loads of people outside my course but it's seems really hard and there's only a month left of uni. Realistically speaking it's too late to get the social life I wanted from university I think. I've met some great people at my accommodation which I can definitely, potentially hang out with. But dude there's a month left?

I've been suffering from very low mood and I keep swinging in and out of it. It's very difficult for me ATM. I've contacted a [NHS] councillor but it's a very long waiting time and I need serious help now. Idk who to contact or what to do?

The grass looks greener on the other side, having a fresh start can guarantee me to meet new people but I keep getting nightmares and anxiety about a new university. I'm finding it difficult to swallow the pill that I'll be a year out and 20 starting university again.

I've submitted my request to withdraw. All I'd need to do is see student services and get my student finance retracted.

Scroll to see replies

I’m sorry that you don’t want to hear this but you pay £9250 for a year of Univeristy study and want to waste a whole year of your life (which could’ve been used to earn a salary in the future) because you didn’t have as much fun in the weekend as other people?!? What if you don’t make friends again? Will you quit Univeristy and go work in a shop?
Original post by Anonymous

Secondly if you think you should be at uni just to get a degree don't bother replying to this post because you have a different point of view to me.

It's one month left of uni. I do not have the social life I wanted at uni. I feel like I've wasted my time in my first year and haven't met enough people. I've tried socities but I barely have time due to the amount of coursework piled on top of me.

When I do go to societies there's barely anyone there and it's not my type of people i.e. one was full of druggies and I'm not too interested in that.

Don't get me wrong I do have friends and have people to hang out with occasionally but I don't have an active social life and don't get to explore the city (London).

I don't get to go out much and haven't had a plan for every weekend since I got to uni. I expected to be able to explore London and go to see places I've never been to like Shoreditch or Camden town. I see people do that on Instagram while I'm stuck in my room. My friends aren't the most socially active and rarely go out. I've recently made some new friends at my accommodation that I study with but I don't go out with them. We've only been friends for a short time

I really want to meet new people and know loads of people outside my course but it's seems really hard and there's only a month left of uni. Realistically speaking it's too late to get the social life I wanted from university I think. I've met some great people at my accommodation which I can definitely, potentially hang out with. But dude there's a month left?

I've been suffering from very low mood and I keep swinging in and out of it. It's very difficult for me ATM. I've contacted a [NHS] councillor but it's a very long waiting time and I need serious help now. Idk who to contact or what to do?

The grass looks greener on the other side, having a fresh start can guarantee me to meet new people but I keep getting nightmares and anxiety about a new university. I'm finding it difficult to swallow the pill that I'll be a year out and 20 starting university again.

I've submitted my request to withdraw. All I'd need to do is see student services and get my student finance retracted.

Hey :smile:
Sorry to hear you're going through a hard time.

If I may be bold as to suggest three options:

1. Take a leave of absence: do your own thing, take care of your mental health & make some friends outside of University.

2. Transfer to another University: all you'd need to was contact any other universities you're interested in and see if they'll allow you to transfer.

3. Take a gap year / break, and go onto an apprenticeship program instead. You may find this less stressful and more sociable.

Good luck! :smile:
What kind of stupid giving advice is this you ****ing nerd???

Read secondly from OP again.

And also a person's mental health and happiness is a lot more important than money and time.

****ing sad ass nerd.

Not the OP or the person your referring to.. but what exactly is your advice?? Aside from calling someone a nerd! Also not entirely sure how you've come to that conclusion considering its the reality of uni, you go to get a degree and qualifications not just a social life!

Hi, when you say you only have a month left, do you mean of first year or your entire degree? I'm not from London but have you checked around for social events outside of your university, like the gym or a team you can join. Maybe dance, or art or book club depending on what you like. You do have to get your mental health sorted first and if dropping out will help then defo do that.. speak to your GP again and at your school they will have people you can speak to, try and get an appointment asap. In the meantime try online help, sometimes there's group chats for people with mental health.. just take it one day at a time! Good luck!
Dont dropp out! Sure the grass is greener on the other side, but what if it will be the same there?
Go out by yourself, take a photo camera and spend your time taking photos. Ask the new people you know if they would agree to go out together. Do not waste your future for some frustration now!
Take some antistress pills and go out from your room, you will be fine. Just try!
By the way, you do not lose anything if you do not visit Camden Town. Maybe other places too. You can pay a visit there one day, it is enough to make an idea about the place. Do not let yourself pressured by the social media or what your friends post on Instagram. Your degree is more important than visiting Camden Town....
Be strong, good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
What kind of stupid giving advice is this you ****ing nerd???

Read secondly from OP again.

And also a person's mental health and happiness is a lot more important than money and time.

****ing sad ass nerd.

I’m no nerd lol. I got dozens of friends in and out of uni. You are probably the “sad ass” person who feels the need to send dirty curse words while hiding behind an anonymous cover.
Reply 8
I'm assuming your in your first year.

If your plan is to reapply for another degree you may want to double check the situation in regards to funding if you drop out. Because you have already used a year of student finance you may have to pay the first year yourself if you restart from scratch.

I may be wrong you might be fine if it's just one year of student finance you have used.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey,

Just to add my two cents, without covering what other people have.
University (both in lifestyle/culture and educational work, etc) is not for everyone. Don't be too hard on yourself over it. I don't necessarily agree with everything said -- just be planned and organised in your approach to whatever you choose to do next.

Joshua :smile:
- You can apply now for starting first year (or second year if you pass this year and the courses are compatable) in September - there's no reason to take a gap year if you don't want to.
- You'll have more options for a transfer if you're able to complete and pass your first year (universities with higher entry requirements will often accept your first year for entry into their first year, universities with similar requirement will be open to applications for starting in their second year).
- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424 explains how to go about arranging to transfer
- It sounds like London hasn't been a good choice for you for a number of reasons.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey,

Just to add my two cents, without covering what other people have.
University (both in lifestyle/culture and educational work, etc) is not for everyone. Don't be too hard on yourself over it. I don't necessarily agree with everything said -- just be planned and organised in your approach to whatever you choose to do next.

Joshua :smile:

I have planned around both options.
I've got a job tutoting maths if I leave.
I've mostly kept up with work if I stay.
Hi, when you say you only have a month left, do you mean of first year or your entire degree? I'm not from London but have you checked around for social events outside of your university, like the gym or a team you can join. Maybe dance, or art or book club depending on what you like. You do have to get your mental health sorted first and if dropping out will help then defo do that.. speak to your GP again and at your school they will have people you can speak to, try and get an appointment asap. In the meantime try online help, sometimes there's group chats for people with mental health.. just take it one day at a time! Good luck!

A month left of first year.
Reply 13
It’s only the first year, you still have plenty of time to meet people. University is also extremely glamorised and glorified on social media, sometimes it’s not always what it seems.

You say you have friends but they’re new friends so you don’t go out with them, there’s only a month left as you’ve said so wouldn’t it be a good idea to ask them to go out? You don’t want to regret not asking when it’s the last day. Furthermore, there’s a month left. It isn’t wasted yet, you still have the chance to have the best month if you’re able to turn it around and ask new people to hang out (:

On top of that, second year could be completely different. You could find a really fun group of friends over the summer, maybe they won’t even go to your university, there’s loads of people to meet in London.

Don’t give up yet! Use the final month as best you can, don’t have regrets of not giving it a chance.

You could also transfer course, university etc and you’d be around new people. Maybe consider that rather than dropping out completely?

Good luck

Why don't you get a letter from your GP and suspend your studies for a year? You will have plenty of time to think if university is right for you or not. Just tell your GP that you have a very low mood and you might have anxiety. Tell that to your university and they will arrange an appointment with your GP. (hopefully)
A month left of first year.

I'd definitely encourage you to complete your first year and then leave. As @PQ has mentioned, it gives you far more options, and a month is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.
What course are you taking?
Original post by kiyuni
It’s only the first year, you still have plenty of time to meet people. University is also extremely glamorised and glorified on social media, sometimes it’s not always what it seems.

You say you have friends but they’re new friends so you don’t go out with them, there’s only a month left as you’ve said so wouldn’t it be a good idea to ask them to go out? You don’t want to regret not asking when it’s the last day. Furthermore, there’s a month left. It isn’t wasted yet, you still have the chance to have the best month if you’re able to turn it around and ask new people to hang out (:

On top of that, second year could be completely different. You could find a really fun group of friends over the summer, maybe they won’t even go to your university, there’s loads of people to meet in London.

Don’t give up yet! Use the final month as best you can, don’t have regrets of not giving it a chance.

You could also transfer course, university etc and you’d be around new people. Maybe consider that rather than dropping out completely?

Good luck

Yh I have coursemates I go out with and stuff and that's cool. We usually chill around my place or go to the sports night at our university bar/club.

The new people I've met in my accommodation are chill too. We study together a lot but don't hang out outside. I've been thinking about asking them to hang out.

The problem is I have so much work to do. I have 3 assignments due in 2 weeks and that means I barely have time to meet new people and get new friends.
Original post by emily_000
Why don't you get a letter from your GP and suspend your studies for a year? You will have plenty of time to think if university is right for you or not. Just tell your GP that you have a very low mood and you might have anxiety. Tell that to your university and they will arrange an appointment with your GP. (hopefully)

I can go to my local GP cos I don't live that far away .
Original post by ajj2000
What course are you taking?

Computer Science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending