The Student Room Group

How do people handle rejection from a university?

I was rejected from a university for Computer Science, and yeah my predictions aren't amazing and I guess it's fair that I didn't succeed but I can't help having this pit in my stomach. I feel useless and unwanted. I know it's stupid but I just need your advice... how do people get over it properly?
I guess they focus on the uni offers they do have and look forward to choosing which to firm and insurance or going to open days and offer days if they have one
Original post by mxxnal
I was rejected from a university for Computer Science, and yeah my predictions aren't amazing and I guess it's fair that I didn't succeed but I can't help having this pit in my stomach. I feel useless and unwanted. I know it's stupid but I just need your advice... how do people get over it properly?

It’s perfectly normal to feel like that after a rejection. I was rejected from oxford in November after setting my heart on going there for more than 4 years. I think trying to see things from a long term perspective would help. In a few years from now, what feels like a huge slap in the face will seem like the most insignificant thing ever. You don’t want this rejection to impact areas of you life that you DO have control (like exams etc.) so whenever you feel that way, try and imagine yourself 5 years from now and how little this will matter then. if you find yourself persistently revelling in the sadness from the rejection, you may have to be brutally honest with yourself and tell yourself that your laments won’t make the situation any better.
Sorry that was a bit rambly, hope that helps :smile:
Original post by mxxnal

I think you just have to accept that you're going to feel a bit down for a while until you get your head around the fact that this uni wasn't for you. There will be other unis that you can be happy at - either amongst your other choices or in Clearing, so just try to work on your grades and you can get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending