The Student Room Group

Taking a car to uni

Hi, I am thinking of taking my car to uni and therefore I am asking what car things/accessories/kits should I take to uni as a precaution for my car?
Thank you for your time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by oroberto1509
Hi, I am thinking of taking my car to uni and therefore I am asking what car things/accessories/kits should I take to uni as a precaution for my car?
Thank you for your time

Deep pockets.
Original post by IWMTom
Deep pockets.

thank you for your responce
Thank you for your time

The phone mount for your car ( the thing you clip onto your air vents if you don't have satnav)
A basic toolkit
and just general stuff like oil wiper fluid and stuff like that you can buy there

Just a side question - what course are you doing, where and what are you gonna use the car for?
Original post by kubes_04
The phone mount for your car ( the thing you clip onto your air vents if you don't have satnav)
A basic toolkit
and just general stuff like oil wiper fluid and stuff like that you can buy there

Just a side question - what course are you doing, where and what are you gonna use the car for?

I am going to use the car weekly shopping and to drive home . I will be studying media and history as a joint honors
A good flank drive socket set, a breaker bar, a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands.

Fit a dash cam, if you haven't already and tell your insurance company about this modification, for a nice little discount.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
A good flank drive socket set, a breaker bar, a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands.

Fit a dash cam, if you haven't already and tell your insurance company about this modification, for a nice little discount.

I have told them and they told me that they don't give a discount for a dash cam
I am going to use the car weekly shopping and to drive home . I will be studying media and history as a joint honors

Fairs, it will be quite expensive overall though, but if the price isn't an issue, then it should be fine, if you're in a "rough" area, then possibly a steering wheel clamp.

Good luck
I have told them and they told me that they don't give a discount for a dash cam

Stingy gits! I got £65 off per year for fitting mine.
Original post by kubes_04
Fairs, it will be quite expensive overall though, but if the price isn't an issue, then it should be fine, if you're in a "rough" area, then possibly a steering wheel clamp.

Good luck

True I won't be using the car often though also if I have a black box then the insurance will be cheap. My car automaticly locks the steering wheel so do I need the wheel clamp?
True I won't be using the car often though also if I have a black box then the insurance will be cheap. My car automaticly locks the steering wheel so do I need the wheel clamp?

It's just an added precaution because if they are able to start the ignition then they can get your car but it will take a lot of effort to cut through the steering wheel clamp
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Stingy gits! I got £65 off per year for fitting mine.

Really! Need to phone them up again! I have done the pass plus as well which was only £20 and got a 120 sgid course for free so I won't complain too much on insurance costs beijg quite low as it is tbh!
Is the university you are going to in the middle of a big city or either on the outskirts or a smaller city?
If the last two taking your car could be handy to get out into the countryside on a weekend when there.
I took mine when at Sheffield university but there was somewhere to park it there, did not use it to and from accommodation to uni just weekends and to/from home.
You could also fit a hidden car tracker.

And again inform your insurance company of this modification...

Worth checking the prices and the insurance discount for this...
Original post by Anonnorth
Is the university you are going to in the middle of a big city or either on the outskirts or a smaller city?
If the last two taking your car could be handy to get out into the countryside on a weekend when there.
I took mine when at Sheffield university but there was somewhere to park it there, did not use it to and from accommodation to uni just weekends and to/from home.

I'm going to Aberystwyth Uni It a medium sized town and the uni itself is on the outskirt of town
I'm going to Aberystwyth Uni It a medium sized town and the uni itself is on the outskirt of town

If there is free or cheap parking at your accommodation there and you can afford the running costs, part time job maybe, then it could work for you ... get you out to sight see that part of Wales up and down the coast.
Original post by Anonnorth
If there is free or cheap parking at your accommodation there and you can afford the running costs, part time job maybe, then it could work for you ... get you out to sight see that part of Wales up and down the coast.

£40 for the year in accomodation in uni
£40 for the year in accomodation in uni

I live in Wales and I have seen most of North Wales as I live there, I am thinking of traveling down south though!
Thank you for your time

Many universities don;t allow students to bring cars. You need to check the rules.

If you are allowed you may have to get a permit to park - I would leave your car at home as you will be amazed how many 'friends' you will find who just need a lift to X or Y ...
Original post by Muttley79
Many universities don;t allow students to bring cars. You need to check the rules.

If you are allowed you may have to get a permit to park - I would leave your car at home as you will be amazed how many 'friends' you will find who just need a lift to X or Y ...

I need it becuase trains to the uni from my house are dodgy and I do need a way to come home so it kind of a must for me. Even though the roads are dodgy as well but not as bad as the trains 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending