The Student Room Group

Why is the UK the only country not closing schools?

They have their rationale for it - but why is the UK the only country that seems to be following this approach? I wouldn't question it if other countries were following it but it seems odd that we aren't closing schools.

In my view - and I'm not a scientist - close schools, close borders, shut down all air travel. Seems common sense should prevail here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ferrograd
They have their rationale for it - but why is the UK the only country that seems to be following this approach? I wouldn't question it if other countries were following it but it seems odd that we aren't closing schools.

In my view - and I'm not a scientist - close schools, close borders, shut down all air travel. Seems common sense should prevail here

The governments solution to sorting out the contravirus is to let 60% of population become infected so the nation will get herd immunity.

I saw a news article about it today.....
Proceeds to refer the UK as a country and forgot that N.I. have shut down which is part of the UK
Edit nwm ignore this reply
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
The governments solution to sorting out the contravirus is to let 60% of population become infected so the nation will get herd immunity.

I saw a news article about it today.....

Can you provide the link of this article, please?
Reply 4
Because our government is stupid and led by an even more stupid leader. Boris seems to lack common sense, with the dangerously stupid idea of developing herd immunity, despite reports of victims developing the virus for a second time after catching it. Then again, this is the leader that the majority of Britain voted for...
Original post by epicnm
Because our government is stupid and led by an even more stupid leader. Boris seems to lack common sense, with the dangerously stupid idea of developing herd immunity, despite reports of victims developing the virus for a second time after catching it. Then again, this is the leader that the majority of Britain voted for...

Agreed
Reply 6
Original post by 1st superstar
Proceeds to refer the UK as a country and forgot that N.I. have shut down which is part of the UK

Schools are open in Northern Ireland, they are closed in the Republic.

At this point in time it will do nothing if you shut down schools and colleges. Having looked into it and the science behind it it’s actually a good idea.

Basically, if they close schools, NHS workers have to take time off work to look after kids, which puts even more strain on the NHS
People would get too scared and the economy is first
Original post by epicnm

From what I have researched, there is absolutely zero evidence suggesting that someone can contract COVID-19 twice. If there is a paper/article written by a credible source somewhat suggesting this then please link it to me. Also I think the government's plan is a lot more sensible than that of France's or Ireland's as suspending schools for a few weeks will only mean children will be back during a potential peak or rise of cases, therefore aiding the spread of the virus. Suspending schools for longer will also put NHS employees out of work as they would have to look after their kids, putting strain on the NHS.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
We'll have our lockdown in a few weeks, don't worry.

The virus is going to infect a lot of people no matter what happens, and we're going to have to close a lot of stuff soon. But the hit to individuals - personal finances, mental health, childcare, stress levels, all manner of service and goods supply issues - from a lockdown will be huge, and there's no point inflicting massive social and economic damage on people (and the country, seeing as a functional economy isn't an optional extra) for longer than necessary.
Original post by satsun
Schools are open in Northern Ireland, they are closed in the Republic.

I see thanks for the correction

Hello! If you feel this way and haven't done so already, please sign this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300403
Reply 15
my school is closed, at least there is no lectures/workshop/seminars. everything will be on blackboard so we can self study. or are you expecting self study should also be closed?

Because its seen as ineffective and will cause more issues than it solves. The young are the least at risk.
Thing is, I'm w

I thought the whole point of this was to avoid infection. there's been reports as people have mentioned of people getting it twice. surely if this method was more foolproof, other countries woulk be followng it
But if the approach is to solve this through herd immunity, rather than quarantine etc, you are looking at >300,000+ Deaths within the U.K.
You'll solve the re-infection problem after a year or so when a vaccine is finally released.
Because this is Boris’s plan to reduce the pressure on elderly social care and those requiring expensive hospital admissions on the NHS.
The UK’s response is an absolute joke. I wouldn’t be surprise if families try and sue the government for the death of their loved ones. I certainly will if their stupidity kills my immune compromised little sister and aunt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending