The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson's Finest Hour?

Does anyone else think that Boris Johnson is coming across a bit like Winston Churchill during the war and that his popularity must have soared? Previously, he seemed better suited to Have I Got News For You than Politics - when asked if he had any real convictions, for example, he answered: “Yes, one for speeding years ago.”

At his daily briefings, however, he seems like a real Prime Minister which begs the question, Could this be Boris's Finest Hour?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
Does anyone else think that Boris Johnson is coming across a bit like Winston Churchill during the war and that his popularity must have soared? Previously, he seemed better suited to Have I Got News For You than Politics - when asked if he had any real convictions, for example, he answered: “Yes, one for speeding years ago.”

At his daily briefings, however, he seems like a real Prime Minister which begs the question, Could this be Boris's Finest Hour?

Really?

Honestly I think he comes across as an inarticulate buffoon who is out of his depth.

The real winner here is Chris Whitty, knows his stuff, answers the question and gives clear, concise answers. There was also a superb virologist on the radio yesterday.

To compare him to Churchill have to say is ridiculous.

Are you drunk when watching it?

Fawns over Laura Kuennsberg.
Makes statements which are unhelpful such as the one about 12 weeks social distancing and getting over the worst, which medical advisors the following day said could be up to a year.
Looks a complete amateur when compared with the well thought out actions announced by Rishi Sunak. The Chancellor who discussed these with both the CBI and TUC beforehand, in contrast to Mr Johnson who refused even to meet once with trade unions when London Mayor.
Compare Matt Hancock's responses on Question Time and they are also much better.
Evades some of the questions.
Gets annoyed and does the Churchill impersonation when tackled about detail.
Won't answer why schools were not closed for the majority of pupils earlier, nor pubs etc forced to close on Monday.

There must be at least 20 other Tory MPs who could do a better job, and would not pull the stunts that he did in the autumn, one of which was unlawful. The best thing he could do is resign and someone else take his place.
Reply 3
Original post by barnetlad

No I'm normally drinking a cup of tea but I have to say I like him more now than I did before - he's very polite for one thing which I was not expecting. I didn't vote for him but I do wonder how much more out of his depth Corbyn would appear if put under the same intense pressure.

Churchill also had many detractors (for good reason) but gained a lot of popularity with the British public at a time of national emergency - I just wondered if other people agreed that this could be a good thing for Boris, politically speaking.
I have been much more impressed with Rishi Sunak. Boris is not doing a bad job, but Rishi has been sensational, so far.
Reply 5
Original post by MrMusician95
I have been much more impressed with Rishi Sunak. Boris is not doing a bad job, but Rishi has been sensational, so far.

Yes I agree Rishi has been impressive, he is also coming across in a very positive way to the British people
Reply 6
What do you think @Oxford Mum? Probably not a big fan of Boris
Yes I agree Rishi has been impressive, he is also coming across in a very positive way to the British people

I was very sceptical when he got the position, but so far he's really stepped up.
Mr Johnson did not write those words or make these decisions. The people who did deserve the credit.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
Mr Johnson did not write those words or make these decisions. The people who did deserve the credit.

Churchill probably didn't write all his own words either or make all the decisions but he still got the credit ....all I'm saying is that I think he's coming across better than I would have expected and I expect his popularily will surge like Churchill's did in the war or Maggie Thatcher's during the Falklands Conflict
Churchill probably didn't write all his own words either or make all the decisions but he still got the credit ....all I'm saying is that I think he's coming across better than I would have expected and I expect his popularily will surge like Churchill's did in the war or Maggie Thatcher's during the Falklands Conflict
Indeed, and perhaps Churchill should not have recieved that credit.

By all accounts his performance has improved in the last week or two, but I think that's because he's handed control over to the adults now.
Why do we insist on comparing to Churchill? Churchill wasn't even that much of a great leader. Boris johnson certainly isn't. You say his finest hour. I say his biggest ****-up. He's treading on eggshells. He knows if he doesn't get this right, he will never be forgiven and the tory party won't ever get in again. Not to mention his biggest support base is going to be most affected by this crisis. Surprised at Sunak, though he couldn't really do anything else. Still, he comes from a family of Thatcherites and I expect things to return to normal tory policy once this thing is done and dusted.,

Boris even called the operation to make ventilators "Operation Last Gasp". He's a bit of an idiot, though I think finally he is doing the right thing, what he should have done earlier, closing schools and social places.
I couldn't imagine Ms. May doing what Boris is doing at all, in all fairness.
Reply 13
Original post by Ferrograd
Why do we insist on comparing to Churchill? Churchill wasn't even that much of a great leader. Boris johnson certainly isn't. You say his finest hour. I say his biggest ****-up.

I don't say it is his finest hour, I'm asking the question as I say in my first post, "Could this be Boris's Finest Hour?" Admittedly the title doesn't have a question mark at the end - perhaps a kind mod could edit that as I am not able to?

As for "Why do we insist on comparing to Churchill? Churchill wasn't even that much of a great leader. Boris johnson certainly isn't" - I think you contradict yourself. You say that neither Boris nor Churchill were good leaders - so you are comparing them and finding similarities in their bad leadership

I think he is coming across like Neville Chamberlain: "I have returned from Germany with peace for our time"
And we all know what that led to.
Reply 15
Original post by Chronoscope
I couldn't imagine Ms. May doing what Boris is doing at all, in all fairness.

I was just imagining that recently.....everything that woman did by the end irritated me so that would be just another reason to find the daily updates distressing :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by David Getling
I think he is coming across like Neville Chamberlain: "I have returned from Germany with peace for our time"
And we all know what that led to.

Haha, yes that is a good comparison

Hope it doesn't end the same way though :cry2:
Reply 17
Coronavirus has forced Boris to stop being his usual buffoon self, and start acting like somewhat of an actual leader.
Original post by barnetlad

Fawns over Laura Kuennsberg.
Makes statements which are unhelpful such as the one about 12 weeks social distancing and getting over the worst, which medical advisors the following day said could be up to a year.
Looks a complete amateur when compared with the well thought out actions announced by Rishi Sunak. The Chancellor who discussed these with both the CBI and TUC beforehand, in contrast to Mr Johnson who refused even to meet once with trade unions when London Mayor.
Compare Matt Hancock's responses on Question Time and they are also much better.
Evades some of the questions.
Gets annoyed and does the Churchill impersonation when tackled about detail.
Won't answer why schools were not closed for the majority of pupils earlier, nor pubs etc forced to close on Monday.

There must be at least 20 other Tory MPs who could do a better job, and would not pull the stunts that he did in the autumn, one of which was unlawful. The best thing he could do is resign and someone else take his place.

There are few constants in the world. Death, Taxes, and barnetlad will take every opportunity to go after Boris (which of course most of which I don't dispute, I'm not on the Boris fan train)

I think he's doing bloody well to be fair to him
I was just imagining that recently.....everything that woman did by the end irritated me so that would be just another reason to find the daily updates distressing :redface:

Boris cracked me up when he was on about Mothers Day yesterday evening though.:redface:
Similar tbh :smile:

Confession: everytime I saw Theresa May I just wanted to give her a hug :hide: i don't think a have a strong political opinion but i think she needed a hug :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending