The Student Room Group

Will my holiday be cancelled??

I have a girls holiday booked for the end of July in Tenerife (we were really looking forward to it after our a levels) . I’ve not heard anything from my travel company but I was just wondering what you think will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Make alternative arrangements.
Hi my mother in law works for jet2holidays and if this is all still going on in July and the foreign office has said no one is allowed to fly like it is now then they will contact you and let you either change the day of your holiday to whenever you want in the future of offer you a full refund and I think most holiday companies are doing similar, however if the foreign office says by July it is okay to fly but the virus is still around you will not get a refund as it is your own choice that you don’t want to attend so you would just have to ring up and change the date of your holiday to later down the line and there will be an administration fee, hope this helps
Yes, it will be cancelled.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi my mother in law works for jet2holidays and if this is all still going on in July and the foreign office has said no one is allowed to fly like it is now then they will contact you and let you either change the day of your holiday to whenever you want in the future of offer you a full refund and I think most holiday companies are doing similar, however if the foreign office says by July it is okay to fly but the virus is still around you will not get a refund as it is your own choice that you don’t want to attend so you would just have to ring up and change the date of your holiday to later down the line and there will be an administration fee, hope this helps

Thanks this is really useful. Do you know when the foreign office will make the decision ?
Yes, it will be cancelled.

I’m not sure because July is quite far away and it could be mostly gone by then? I don’t know if I’m just in denial because I want a holiday lol but I understand that it is a possibility that it could be cancelled.
Original post by Academicbee123
Thanks this is really useful. Do you know when the foreign office will make the decision ?

I would guess that depends on what happens between now and then with this virus.

I everyone starts to do what is being asked of them and the virus goes then, with luck, you may get your holiday.
If not then the death rate will climb rapidly and the holiday will be cancelled.. probably around a month before hand they should know.
It depends on the severity of the virus at the time. But I know that your holiday provider will let you know the status of your holiday a couple of weeks in advance and you can then decide from there if you want a full refund or to change the date.
I would also recommend asking for a full refund for a few reasons,
- holiday providers could go bust within this time and if you have rearranged your holiday you will then have to go through a longer process to get your money back like with Thomas cook
- you may change the date to later down the line and then this date may become unavailable to you or someone else your going on holiday with due to unforeseen circumstances and you would then have to pay an administration fee to further change the date which I know for jet2 can be around £125pp
- if you change the date of your holiday and are able to fly but don’t feel safe travelling and the virus is still around you would not get a refund for your holiday any more and would again have to pay administration fees for any more changes.
- if you get a full refund you have not lost out on any money and can always use that money later down the line to rebook the same holiday once you are reassured it is safe to fly
I spoke to my holiday provider as I have a holiday booked late July into early Aug. They said that they were rebooking people with bookings for now across into July in the hope that everything would be better by then. If we cancel now then that is our choice and we would not be covered by insurance.
We just need to proceed as if it is going ahead
I have a girls holiday booked for the end of July in Tenerife (we were really looking forward to it after our a levels) . I’ve not heard anything from my travel company but I was just wondering what you think will happen?

Not a chance.

imo likely to be cancelled eventually as I cant see us being on top of the situation in 3 months or even if we are people will still be a risk and you could be a carrier. If you hadnt noticed there is a once in a lifetime event going on that trumps A levels and holidays. Government isnt interested in holidays and the travle business is likely to shut down as is tourism.
Why would you want to be abroad if you catch it? Just go the following year.
Original post by 999tigger
imo likely to be cancelled eventually as I cant see us being on top of the situation in 3 months or even if we are people will still be a risk and you could be a carrier. If you hadnt noticed there is a once in a lifetime event going on that trumps A levels and holidays. Government isnt interested in holidays and the travle business is likely to shut down as is tourism.
Why would you want to be abroad if you catch it? Just go the following year.

I never said that my holiday or exams trump this. No need to be passive aggressive. After a year of cancer treatment, I apologise if the idea of a fun holiday was something that got me through it. Maybe think before you speak.
Original post by ReadingMum
I spoke to my holiday provider as I have a holiday booked late July into early Aug. They said that they were rebooking people with bookings for now across into July in the hope that everything would be better by then. If we cancel now then that is our choice and we would not be covered by insurance.
We just need to proceed as if it is going ahead

That’s good advice, thank you.
I would also recommend asking for a full refund for a few reasons,
- holiday providers could go bust within this time and if you have rearranged your holiday you will then have to go through a longer process to get your money back like with Thomas cook
- you may change the date to later down the line and then this date may become unavailable to you or someone else your going on holiday with due to unforeseen circumstances and you would then have to pay an administration fee to further change the date which I know for jet2 can be around £125pp
- if you change the date of your holiday and are able to fly but don’t feel safe travelling and the virus is still around you would not get a refund for your holiday any more and would again have to pay administration fees for any more changes.
- if you get a full refund you have not lost out on any money and can always use that money later down the line to rebook the same holiday once you are reassured it is safe to fly

That’s really helpful, thanks, I sent a picture of it to my group chat for my holiday.
I never said that my holiday or exams trump this. No need to be passive aggressive. After a year of cancer treatment, I apologise if the idea of a fun holiday was something that got me through it. Maybe think before you speak.

I never said you did, just pointing out the extraordinary times and how they are likely to continue. You are likely to be cancelled by the holiday company, airline, UK govt, travel company or Spain. If this happens claim a refund on your credit card.
As things are changing daily, then July is a long way away, so start thinking about alternatives.
Look, scientists have estimated that this could last a year.. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to start uni in September online from home.
Look, scientists have estimated that this could last a year.. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to start uni in September online from home.

Yeh, it seems right to look at it from an objective way. I hope not, freshers seems so fun.
ah no surely they would still do freshers, but just push it back to when we are actually allowed to move in. but fingers crossed it won't get to that - image me starting a law degree all alone in my bedroom!
Yeh, it seems right to look at it from an objective way. I hope not, freshers seems so fun.

Hopefully you'll be able to go, but it's such a rapidly changing situation that it's difficult to know for sure. I'd keep in touch with your holiday provider to see whether they're rebooking customers or cancelling.
Original post by Reality Check
If you have nothing productive to add to her question apart from snide comments, then why bother posting?

Thank you @Reality Check
I just wanted some advice as I know other people are in the same situation. My holiday means a lot to me as I have used it as a goal to get through chemotherapy for the last year - it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things but I’m still aloud to feel disappointed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending