The Student Room Group

Please help me select my firm uni

Hello
I’ve got offers from Durham, Newcastle, Exeter and Royal Holloway. My insurance choice is definitely Royal Holloway but I’m confused about my firm. I have visited Newcastle and I loved it. However Durham is a better university. I was thinking about making Durham my firm but now that I have watched student videos on YouTube, I’m reconsidering it. I have heard that there’s a lack of diversity, being Asian and Muslim, I’m worried. I’ve also heard that the food is so bad and there is absolutely no variety. “The chicken takes like white brick”. Also, the college system limits you from meeting more people-you are stuck with a group of people that you might not like. Many people have advised me to live in the college accommodation which is catered and I will also have to share my bathroom which I won’t like. I’ve heard worse things about Exeter and don’t like the city either.
In the end, I have to select one from Durham and Newcastle. I really liked Durham before watching these videos and was very excited to make it my firm. Btw I’m doing college in central London.
Can anyone especially a student from Durham please advice something?
Original post by Faizan Maqsood
Hello
I’ve got offers from Durham, Newcastle, Exeter and Royal Holloway. My insurance choice is definitely Royal Holloway but I’m confused about my firm. I have visited Newcastle and I loved it. However Durham is a better university. I was thinking about making Durham my firm but now that I have watched student videos on YouTube, I’m reconsidering it. I have heard that there’s a lack of diversity, being Asian and Muslim, I’m worried. I’ve also heard that the food is so bad and there is absolutely no variety. “The chicken takes like white brick”. Also, the college system limits you from meeting more people-you are stuck with a group of people that you might not like. Many people have advised me to live in the college accommodation which is catered and I will also have to share my bathroom which I won’t like. I’ve heard worse things about Exeter and don’t like the city either.
In the end, I have to select one from Durham and Newcastle. I really liked Durham before watching these videos and was very excited to make it my firm. Btw I’m doing college in central London.

Have you visited Exeter? What don;t you like about the city? I'd recommend it - all my students have loved it :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Have you visited Exeter? What don;t you like about the city? I'd recommend it - all my students have loved it :smile:

I’ve heard that international students aren’t welcomed. There were also some leaked racist messages from the university groups. I would have visited it but now I can’t because of the Coronavirus.
I’ve heard that international students aren’t welcomed. There were also some leaked racist messages from the university groups. I would have visited it but now I can’t because of the Coronavirus.

Every uni has racists - Exeter has expelled theirs! International students are VERY welcome there's a huge INTO centre: https://www.intostudy.com/en-gb/universities/university-of-exeter

Look at the video tour - it's a beautify campus and the town is great ... it's nicer than Durham imho.
Ohh. It does look good. I would really like to visit it but I’m not in the UK. Between Newcastle and Durham, which one would you pick?
(edited 4 years ago)
At Exeter about 25% are international students.
The city of Exeter is quite small and isolated.
I'm sorry I can't really help but I know I did not apply to Exeter as it did not seem diverse as a city when I visited, and it was quite small. I did some of my Geography coursework based in Exeter and it was defo more than 90% White. I think Newcastle would be more diverse? The place itself is around 82% White British but you can look up Uni stats

Personally, for me diversity is a range of different ethnicities and religions etc so I chose London as the best place for that, but I suppose if you live there the appeal is to go to a different city
As a Newcastle student, Durham is better if you don't drink but Newcastle is more diverse (barely so, but infinitely more than Durham)
Original post by 0xFFFFail
As a Newcastle student, Durham is better if you don't drink but Newcastle is more diverse (barely so, but infinitely more than Durham)

Thank you for your reply. Which course are you doing , if I may ask
Thank you for your reply. Which course are you doing , if I may ask

Computer science, so spend most of my time at our campus but I go out a lot so do see plenty of students, that being said there's probably a society for your ethnicity or something close enough
My course is Marketing and Management. I don’t drink. I’m from Pakistan. Really confused between Durham and Newcastle. I visited Newcastle and I loved it but I can’t visit Durham now because if the virus. Do you know anything about their ‘college system’?
Reply 11
go to Durham
Ah OK, I'm also a Pakistani, so there's an asian area of Newcastle where you can do shopping for our groceries so that's not an issue at all, there's also halal restaurants located there.

Durham like you know has a collegiate system where you're given a specific college and mainly hang out with those people, although not entirely I don't think it's necessarily a bad system but bad implementation by Durham as I've heard a few colleges have finance issues.
Hello

Dont believe all you read about racism. There were about 1/2 dozen students from 1 society involved who got expelled. Every university will have a racist element as will every city but the vast majority of students will be fine. Given that these idiots have been expelled it is unlikely others will try the same thing.

Exeter's campus is absolutely stunning and the city whilst small is a lovely place and has all the major shops unlike Durham which is much smaller. Newcastle is much bigger and has a very good reputation for its nightlife. I certainly wouldnt decide based on outdated information. Decide on where you prefer not the rubbish that you have been fed.
Good thing I rejected Durham 😂😂 York is the one 😄 in my opinion at least
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you know how often students from Durham visit Newcastle? I know it’s hard to find Halal food in Durham.
Do you know how often students from Durham visit Newcastle? I know it’s hard to find Halal food in Durham.

I guess you could visit very easily, 20 minutes on the train so transport isn't an issue.
I know quite a few students even from York come up here for nights out so if that's your things it's quite common.
Don't know many Durhams students myself so couldn't tell you if they visit often.
Best thing about Durham is that you can brag all your life that you went there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending