The Student Room Group

Environmental Policy Masters in UK

Hello! I'm a 2nd Year QMUL Law Student with a 1st in my first year and am expecting to get a 2:1 / 1st in my second year. I was an executive member of 2 societies as well as have a plethora of work experience (Mostly in big corporate law firms) and volunteer experience (Ranging from teaching English to working at a legal clinic). I've decided I want to pursue a career in Environmental Policy, hoping to work for a thinktank or a major charity. I want to pursue an Environmental Policy-related Masters, I've done some research and found these courses quite appealing:
- Environmental Policy & Regulation MSc (LSE)
- Environment and Development MSc (LSE)
- Environment, Politics and Society MSc (UCL)
- Environment and Sustainable Development MSc (UCL)
- Environmental Policy MPhil (Cambridge)
- Nature, Society and Environmental Governance MSc (Oxford)

I'm hoping the knowledgeable and passionate people of TSR can answer a few questions.
1. What is the general reputation of these courses? Has anyone who had done/ applied to these courses give me some advice and stories about what they thought about their experiences?
2. Are there any other universities/courses I should be looking into? The schools I chose are mostly in London as I don't too move too far away.
3. Any tips and advice on the application process? Like who to pick for my reference and also what to focus most on my PS?

Sorry for the questions but I have yet to have found similar threads regarding this topic and was hoping to ask them myself as I want to make sure I make the right choice and to make sure I do my 100% when applying.

Thank you in advance and can't wait to see all the insightful replies!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sebastianbwong
Hello! I'm a 2nd Year QMUL Law Student with a 1st in my first year and am expecting to get a 2:1 / 1st in my second year. I was an executive member of 2 societies as well as have a plethora of work experience (Mostly in big corporate law firms) and volunteer experience (Ranging from teaching English to working at a legal clinic). I've decided I want to pursue a career in Environmental Policy, hoping to work for a thinktank or a major charity. I want to pursue an Environmental Policy-related Masters, I've done some research and found these courses quite appealing:
- Environmental Policy & Regulation MSc (LSE)
- Environment and Development MSc (LSE)
- Environment, Politics and Society MSc (UCL)
- Environment and Sustainable Development MSc (UCL)
- Environmental Policy MPhil (Cambridge)
- Nature, Society and Environmental Governance MSc (Oxford)

I'm hoping the knowledgeable and passionate people of TSR can answer a few questions.
1. What is the general reputation of these courses? Has anyone who had done/ applied to these courses give me some advice and stories about what they thought about their experiences?
2. Are there any other universities/courses I should be looking into? The schools I chose are mostly in London as I don't too move too far away.
3. Any tips and advice on the application process? Like who to pick for my reference and also what to focus most on my PS?

Sorry for the questions but I have yet to have found similar threads regarding this topic and was hoping to ask them myself as I want to make sure I make the right choice and to make sure I do my 100% when applying.

Thank you in advance and can't wait to see all the insightful replies!

Climate Change and Environmental Policy at Leeds Uni looks good.
Original post by Treasure61
Climate Change and Environmental Policy at Leeds Uni looks good.

Hey guys,

I am also looking to apply for a masters in this field for 2021/22 entry.

a) What do you think about Oxford's MSc/MPhil Environmental Change and Management course?

b) I'm looking into Cambridge's MPhil Environmental Policy. Does anyone have any particular comments on this one?

c) I have also been looking in Manchester. Their GDI department offers a course called International Development: Environment, Climate Change and Development. Also, I agree with Treasure61, Leed's course looks really great!

d) I am finding that perhaps a scientific perspective in the course may not be as necessary as development or policy. Mainly because I am looking to work as a policy advisor for govt's/NGO's/in the private sector. What do you think?

e) What kind of employment are you hoping to find after completing your Master's course?
How did you guys get on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending