The Student Room Group

really stressed & anxious- is this a big deal

i know there's so much going on in the world rn & my petty problem seems so minor which it is but i just can't help having anxiety about it.
so first year is basically over & im planning on transferring unis so i can be closer to home cos this year honestly felt like the worst year of my life & i hated living away from home so much so I decided to transfer uni for the same course & finish my final 2 years at my local uni. idk why im having such anxiety over this. ive emailed the unis & i just have to apply via ucas & all that havent done so yet but i have until may so its fine. im just so anxious about the process & making friends in my final 2 years. someone give me advice pls :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i know there's so much going on in the world rn & my petty problem seems so minor which it is but i just can't help having anxiety about it.
so first year is basically over & im planning on transferring unis so i can be closer to home cos this year honestly felt like the worst year of my life & i hated living away from home so much so I decided to transfer uni for the same course & finish my final 2 years at my local uni. idk why im having such anxiety over this. ive emailed the unis & i just have to apply via ucas & all that havent done so yet but i have until may so its fine. im just so anxious about the process & making friends in my final 2 years. someone give me advice pls :smile:

What made you miss home- how comes you didn't overcome feeling homesick after just 1 month ? I am going to uni this September and I am anxious about what you felt this year and want to overcome that. Like were you used to being around family? Did you miss having fun with them? Did you miss not being that independent (like laundry and cooking and etc). What was the problem?
Reply 2
What made you miss home- how comes you didn't overcome feeling homesick after just 1 month ? I am going to uni this September and I am anxious about what you felt this year and want to overcome that. Like were you used to being around family? Did you miss having fun with them? Did you miss not being that independent (like laundry and cooking and etc). What was the problem?

i think the fact my parents werent there with me & i didnt like living with other people(my flatmates were nice but if im honest i didnt really wanna chill with them lol nothing wrong with them i just think cos i wasnt used to living with other people other than family i didnt like really like it). & if im honest i didnt like being independent, like i think independence comes with age and personally I wasn't ready to leave home just yet :smile: also most of my uni friends were commuters so i only really saw them at uni. but honestly take my experience with a pinch of salt because everyone else i know & my friends at other unis literally LOVE it, they love living away from home & the freedom lol so im sure ur gonna love it! (im just a weirdo who loves home a bit too much & isnt quite ready to fly the nest yet :P) & this September?! how u feeling about exams getting cancelled
i think the fact my parents werent there with me & i didnt like living with other people(my flatmates were nice but if im honest i didnt really wanna chill with them lol nothing wrong with them i just think cos i wasnt used to living with other people other than family i didnt like really like it). & if im honest i didnt like being independent, like i think independence comes with age and personally I wasn't ready to leave home just yet :smile: also most of my uni friends were commuters so i only really saw them at uni. but honestly take my experience with a pinch of salt because everyone else i know & my friends at other unis literally LOVE it, they love living away from home & the freedom lol so im sure ur gonna love it! (im just a weirdo who loves home a bit too much & isnt quite ready to fly the nest yet :P) & this September?! how u feeling about exams getting cancelled

Was a bit sad knowing exams got cancelled. Since Year 11 summer holidays I was literally envisioning me sitting on the table and sitting all the papers and turning out with 3 A*s- I was trying to manifest it. Next thing you know it's cancelled. But it's for the better though.
Reply 4
Was a bit sad knowing exams got cancelled. Since Year 11 summer holidays I was literally envisioning me sitting on the table and sitting all the papers and turning out with 3 A*s- I was trying to manifest it. Next thing you know it's cancelled. But it's for the better though.

We’re u predicted 3 A*s & working at that level?
Ngl I would’ve been so happy had my exams got cancelled cos my predictions were high & my class work was good so it would’ve been better for me as I didn’t end up achieving what I wanted to achieve but ofc I know for people whose predictions aren’t high & they slacked in class work it’s awful :frown:
Everything happens for a reason & u can always sit them again in July if ur not happy
We’re u predicted 3 A*s & working at that level?
Ngl I would’ve been so happy had my exams got cancelled cos my predictions were high & my class work was good so it would’ve been better for me as I didn’t end up achieving what I wanted to achieve but ofc I know for people whose predictions aren’t high & they slacked in class work it’s awful :frown:
Everything happens for a reason & u can always sit them again in July if ur not happy

Yh I was predicted 3A*s so that was great. Our school is still assigning us tasks on our school portal such as exam qs and etc- these will tally up and they will make an accurate prediction to our final grade (I believe many schools are doing this). However even if I do get the 3A*s (God-willing) I won't be satisfied as I/everyone else this year who got the same result, didn't earn it the "right" way. At the end of the day, I want to gain those A*s the hard and stressful way and not take the easy route (even though I did work extremely hard in the past 2 years). But it's for the better as it prevents the further spread of Covid-19.
I have heard students who achieve (for example) ABB at A-level and other students who achieve A*A*A* when they do the same course at uni, in the end it is the ABB students who achieved better and etc. So don't worry if you didn't achieve what you wanted- I am sure you would have achieved it on another day (factors on exam days that affect how you attempt the paper are how many hours of sleep you had/your breakfast/were you tired etc etc). So it's fine honestly. You're now in the next big stage of your life, so all you can do is enjoy it.
Reply 6
Yh I was predicted 3A*s so that was great. Our school is still assigning us tasks on our school portal such as exam qs and etc- these will tally up and they will make an accurate prediction to our final grade (I believe many schools are doing this). However even if I do get the 3A*s (God-willing) I won't be satisfied as I/everyone else this year who got the same result, didn't earn it the "right" way. At the end of the day, I want to gain those A*s the hard and stressful way and not take the easy route (even though I did work extremely hard in the past 2 years). But it's for the better as it prevents the further spread of Covid-19.
I have heard students who achieve (for example) ABB at A-level and other students who achieve A*A*A* when they do the same course at uni, in the end it is the ABB students who achieved better and etc. So don't worry if you didn't achieve what you wanted- I am sure you would have achieved it on another day (factors on exam days that affect how you attempt the paper are how many hours of sleep you had/your breakfast/were you tired etc etc). So it's fine honestly. You're now in the next big stage of your life, so all you can do is enjoy it.

Oh that’s good they’re doing that then & omgggg honestly dw about gaining it the right way a few years down the line u really won’t care anymore you’ll just be glad it’s over but I understand where ur coming from(even thou I’m someone who always wants the easy route :P) & what religion do u believe if u don’t mind me asking.
& haha I wish I got abb :P & I suppose so but u can’t help think what if, my snap memory came up today of me a year ago today going to visit my firm uni which I didn’t even get into :frown: sad times & me transferring makes me even more anxious tbh :frown:
Oh that’s good they’re doing that then & omgggg honestly dw about gaining it the right way a few years down the line u really won’t care anymore you’ll just be glad it’s over but I understand where ur coming from(even thou I’m someone who always wants the easy route :P) & what religion do u believe if u don’t mind me asking.
& haha I wish I got abb :P & I suppose so but u can’t help think what if, my snap memory came up today of me a year ago today going to visit my firm uni which I didn’t even get into :frown: sad times & me transferring makes me even more anxious tbh :frown:

Don't worry, to get to your final destination there are many journeys and each journey would have many bumps on them- this goes for absolutely everyone. So just know you are actually progressing faster than you think- you becoming anxious right now will help you deal with stress in the future and help overcome this barrier. So keep your heads up :smile:
I am Muslim. What about you?
Reply 8
Don't worry, to get to your final destination there are many journeys and each journey would have many bumps on them- this goes for absolutely everyone. So just know you are actually progressing faster than you think- you becoming anxious right now will help you deal with stress in the future and help overcome this barrier. So keep your heads up :smile:
I am Muslim. What about you?

Yh I guess I just sometimes wonder wen will I be happy , this year was so mentally hard on me living away from home & I just dk if the next 2 years of uni r gonna be happy years for me :frown: but everything happens for a reason. Yh I can’t believe first year is over like I’m gonna graduate in 2 years!! How crazy to think!!
& omggg I had a feeling u were wen u said gods will, I am too!!
Yh I guess I just sometimes wonder wen will I be happy , this year was so mentally hard on me living away from home & I just dk if the next 2 years of uni r gonna be happy years for me :frown: but everything happens for a reason. Yh I can’t believe first year is over like I’m gonna graduate in 2 years!! How crazy to think!!
& omggg I had a feeling u were wen u said gods will, I am too!!

Yeah I understand it's because muslim families are the strongest families- it's completely normal for you to feel empty without your family. Try think of it like this: you only have 2 more years left. If you want these 2 years to fly then think of your graduation in 2 years time (InshAllah) as motivation to study hard- hopefully it will help you get through it. Have you tried face-timing your family on a daily basis ? Maybe that would help you be happy, even though it is virtual.
Also many many muslim students have gone through what you are going through now. So if they have gone through it and have achieved the best, hopefully that should be motivation to you that you are definitely not alone.
Reply 10

Hey :smile:

Just wanted to let you know that I can completely relate to how you're feeling. It's a difficult decision to make but obviously it sounds like the better one. I wish I had the courage to transfer when I had the chance, I'm a bit like you, such a home bird. However, I decided to stick with the uni I went to originally since I had a boyfriend at the time but we broke up now lol. Anyway, in terms of making friends I would try and enroll in one two or three societies you are interested in and actually commit to them. This is pretty much how I met all of my friends. Through sports and singing. All you have to do is show up regularly, and you'll start making friends quite quickly, push through the initial awkwardness we all go through. It's important to engage in extra curricular stuff, not only for your wellbeing but it looks great on your CV. Also applying to be on society roles is a good way to meet people, as well as volunteering. Even if you're a complete beginner at something but want to give it a try go for it. A lot of people will be the same boat! Another tip is to get onto your course group chat. I'm sure the process will go smoothly, and just live your best life. Do what's right for you <3
Yeah I understand it's because muslim families are the strongest families- it's completely normal for you to feel empty without your family. Try think of it like this: you only have 2 more years left. If you want these 2 years to fly then think of your graduation in 2 years time (InshAllah) as motivation to study hard- hopefully it will help you get through it. Have you tried face-timing your family on a daily basis ? Maybe that would help you be happy, even though it is virtual.
Also many many muslim students have gone through what you are going through now. So if they have gone through it and have achieved the best, hopefully that should be motivation to you that you are definitely not alone.

honestly calling & face timing them acc made it worse cos i would just start sobbing :P
& i feel like no one talks about it so it feels like im alone esp cos my friends back home(all muslim) r having the time of their life & i just didnt during first year :/
Original post by rain864
Hey :smile:

Just wanted to let you know that I can completely relate to how you're feeling. It's a difficult decision to make but obviously it sounds like the better one. I wish I had the courage to transfer when I had the chance, I'm a bit like you, such a home bird. However, I decided to stick with the uni I went to originally since I had a boyfriend at the time but we broke up now lol. Anyway, in terms of making friends I would try and enroll in one two or three societies you are interested in and actually commit to them. This is pretty much how I met all of my friends. Through sports and singing. All you have to do is show up regularly, and you'll start making friends quite quickly, push through the initial awkwardness we all go through. It's important to engage in extra curricular stuff, not only for your wellbeing but it looks great on your CV. Also applying to be on society roles is a good way to meet people, as well as volunteering. Even if you're a complete beginner at something but want to give it a try go for it. A lot of people will be the same boat! Another tip is to get onto your course group chat. I'm sure the process will go smoothly, and just live your best life. Do what's right for you <3

awww, glad to know im not the only one :P & oh no sorry to hear u broke up, is that the only reason u stayed at ur original uni? & yh i did join societies at my current uni & i did make friends but ngl no one really goes to them cos they think its a waste of time :/ kinda thinking its gonna be like that wen i transfer cos its an even smaller uni tbh(not a city uni). & i feel like cos im going in from second year, everyones already gonna have made their friends, kinda worried about that & awww live my best life, i hope that happens but idk what the future holds, thank you thou x
honestly calling & face timing them acc made it worse cos i would just start sobbing :P
& i feel like no one talks about it so it feels like im alone esp cos my friends back home(all muslim) r having the time of their life & i just didnt during first year :/

I can see it's affecting you mentally. Have you made any friends at uni? As someone above said- join societies. When I asked for advice for uni nearly everyone said to join societies and groups. I guess it's extremely important for mental health. Also the more you dwell on your first year at uni, the worse your mental health can get. Just take it with a pinch of salt and carry on with life. If you want someone to talk to I will be here. And trust me you are not alone- have a face-to-face convo with one of your trustworthy and loyal friend from uni. Expose your feelings to them as that will help get rid of the stress.
Also maybe you had been revising all day everyday for the past year? That can also be dangerous to mental health. Make sure you keep 2 days of the week to yourself, where you do whatever you want. So maybe go around the city with uni friends- have a movie day or whatever. You don't want to be grinding out for a whole week.
I can see it's affecting you mentally. Have you made any friends at uni? As someone above said- join societies. When I asked for advice for uni nearly everyone said to join societies and groups. I guess it's extremely important for mental health. Also the more you dwell on your first year at uni, the worse your mental health can get. Just take it with a pinch of salt and carry on with life. If you want someone to talk to I will be here. And trust me you are not alone- have a face-to-face convo with one of your trustworthy and loyal friend from uni. Expose your feelings to them as that will help get rid of the stress.
Also maybe you had been revising all day everyday for the past year? That can also be dangerous to mental health. Make sure you keep 2 days of the week to yourself, where you do whatever you want. So maybe go around the city with uni friends- have a movie day or whatever. You don't want to be grinding out for a whole week.

yes, i made friends & i did join societies, but it was living away that just broke me. & yes i do but my close friends at uni r all commuters so no matter what they will never understand how i truly feel u know cos they didnt go thru it plus they wouldve loved to live out cos they dont really like home so much but theyre not allowed to live out lol so even in that sense they wouldnt really understand. & aww thank you so much, it means a lot.
& haha i hardly did any work, i mean dont get me wrong i did all the assisgments and stuff but i winged everything & never did any of the pre reading or work loool. what uni u planning on going to?
yes, i made friends & i did join societies, but it was living away that just broke me. & yes i do but my close friends at uni r all commuters so no matter what they will never understand how i truly feel u know cos they didnt go thru it plus they wouldve loved to live out cos they dont really like home so much but theyre not allowed to live out lol so even in that sense they wouldnt really understand. & aww thank you so much, it means a lot.
& haha i hardly did any work, i mean dont get me wrong i did all the assisgments and stuff but i winged everything & never did any of the pre reading or work loool. what uni u planning on going to?

Yeah you can only ever feel better about a personal situation if the person you talk to has gone through what you are going through, or really understands where you're coming from. Sorry to hear that some people can be indirectly "ignorant"- this is one of the reasons why suicide happens a lot because they feel like they have no one to talk to. Please please please if you have any worries just talk to me. Hopefully I can help any person from not developing mental health problems which is a real problem then.

I have already firmed my choice. I would tell you (in a private PM) but this post is public and I don't want people stalking me and etc. If you make a new account and through that tell me your actual username, I will PM you through my actual account.
Yeah you can only ever feel better about a personal situation if the person you talk to has gone through what you are going through, or really understands where you're coming from. Sorry to hear that some people can be indirectly "ignorant"- this is one of the reasons why suicide happens a lot because they feel like they have no one to talk to. Please please please if you have any worries just talk to me. Hopefully I can help any person from not developing mental health problems which is a real problem then.

I have already firmed my choice. I would tell you (in a private PM) but this post is public and I don't want people stalking me and etc. If you make a new account and through that tell me your actual username, I will PM you through my actual account.

ah thank u so much & ur on annon thou looool x
ah thank u so much & ur on annon thou looool x

lmao I know I'm on anon.
What I meant was make a new account, tell me that username in this forum. I will then send you a PM from my real account to that one. Then you can PM me your actual username from that one. Sounds long and confusing I understand :biggrin:

Hi uhm so I think corona and being off from school has brought my repetitive thinking and anxiety back! I’m so so scared! I had therapy sessions last summer and they really helped and I thought I’d never get better but I did but the thoughts and everything are back and I’m super super super scared! I keep thinking about whether after death I’ll be alone or whether I’ll get to see my parents and family again and then this causes me in the present to be really really careful of how I act towards my parents, to be kind helpful etc like I wasn’t like this 4 days ago. But it’s back and I’m really scared! It also makes me scared because I don’t ever want to be separated from my parents! The thoughts keep coming and comping and it really stresses me out! I did mindfulness after my therapy sessions but I stopped in mid November which I was an absolute idiot!!! I should’ve carried it on! I’ve just restarted but it does not have the same effect as before like what do I do??
lmao I know I'm on anon.
What I meant was make a new account, tell me that username in this forum. I will then send you a PM from my real account to that one. Then you can PM me your actual username from that one. Sounds long and confusing I understand :biggrin:

tbh idk why i was on anon loool. r u a girl or a boy loool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending