The Student Room Group

what mark would you give this 16 marker? (GCSE, edexcel, topic:medicine)

Individuals had the biggest impact on medical training in the 16th and 17th centuries. How far do you agree? You may use the following in your answer: Vesalius The printing press PLAN: 1. For agreeing =Vesalius & students, Thomas Sydenham (emphasis on diagnosis) 2. For disagreeing = Technological developments like printing press and microscope.

Firstly I agree with the statement that individuals had the biggest impact on medical training in the 16th and 17th centuries this is because Vesalius (an important individual) was an anatomist and in 1543 he published his book “The Fabric of the Human Body” and made dissection more popular and fashionable. Not only did he correct Galen’s three hundred mistakes, he inspired many young physicians in universities and school to take risks. He also stole criminals’ bodies who were killed for committing their crimes and inspired people to take risks. This was important because, although it was illegal to steal bodies and dig them up from graves, people were beginning to become curious and challenge the old traditional ideas, like those by Galen and Hippocrates. Next, I disagree with the statement that individuals had the biggest impact on medical training in the 16th and 17th centuries because the printing press was made in 1470, and through this invention, ideas were able to spread much faster as there was little need for hand writing books, which often consisted of mistakes, this problem had been eradicated. There was also a greater number of people who were literate and could read. However, for those who couldn’t, many individuals’ books, for example, Andreas Vesalius’ book which was published, had pictures demonstrating what to do and how to treat the patient. There was also a sense of humanism in education, and that humans were changed by education. Also, although Vesalius was striving for change by challenging old and traditional theories, which weren’t necessarily correct, he was deeply frowned upon by some people. He was frowned upon by those who strictly followed the law, and those who weren’t accepting of new ideas, and therefore his actions when digging up criminals’ bodies was illegal and could have damaged his reputation. Lastly, I agree with the statement that individuals had the biggest impact on medical training in the 16th and 17th centuries because of key individuals like Thomas Sydenham who promoted the idea of observing symptoms and recording
their effects, there was also a method of diagnosis instead of prognosis. This is most likely how he got his name “English Hippocrates” in 1670. The attitudes of people were also much more positive towards change during this era. There was more call for change and new ideas often were backed up with scientific evidence. There was also a point of reformation which hit the UK in 1534, and the Church grew weaker, and people started to question old and very traditional ways, and people like Thomas Sydenham, William Harvey and Andreas Vesalius helped prompt that curiosity. Overall, I think that individuals had the biggest impact on medical training in the 16th and 17th centuries because the printing press and microscopy were pieces of key technology but they weren’t real technological developments therefore there was little interest in changing science. There is also some developments whereby some individuals realised that God was not a cause of disease, and more people were trying to think scientifically due to the good inspiration from the key individuals during this time period
Wouldn't it be 8 marks max as your meant to have 4 points not 2? (2 agree and 2 disagree or 1 agree and 3 disagree or 1 disagree and 3 agree? And a 1-2 line conclusion stating whether you overall agree or disagree with the statement) but have no idea and can't help lol. @PetitePanda any ideas seeing as you do A-level history
Original post by 1st superstar
Wouldn't it be 8 marks max as your meant to have 4 points not 2? (2 agree and 2 disagree or 1 agree and 3 disagree or 1 disagree and 3 agree? And a 1-2 line conclusion stating whether you overall agree or disagree with the statement) but have no idea and can't help lol. @PetitePanda any ideas seeing as you do A-level history

Thank you for mentioning me. The number of points is fine and their analysis seems to have the key arguments but I don't really see them linking back to the question in each paragraph tho. Their conclusion is good tho, in my opinion. I'm not really well versed in Edexcel marking so if you could link me the mark scheme, I would be more able to give you a better mark in that aspect.
This is a really good exam response but one thing i would change is at the start, open up with your parg that you argee then next parg, one you don't or argee to some extent and make it clear which one you argee with, one way to do your disagree one is to say some people may argue otherwise... and at the end of that parg, you should present evidence why you disagee and argee with the other aspect more. You should try and expand it more with more points, and break the argee disagree orverall parg down. I use ADO- argee,disagree and then overall. 3 pargs but to get more marks, you could have an another argee or disargee parg but that's the way to do it. Now the mark i would give for this answer is really around 12/13 marks. Well done on the way you presented the eveidence to support your arugement, that's is really good. Any questions please ask? I am a history GCSE and A-Level teacher and examnier.
youre a fcking loser
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hsidufdsouf
fcking spongebob i will find your gay fcking ass

what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending