The Student Room Group

Why didn't Boris Johnson think of this issue?

I'm 25 and was going to buy a house last year. But it would have been near my parents' second home and they said I might as well just live there as I would have the house to myself most of the time anyway.

I am self-employed and earn quite a lot of money doing my work. On 16th March when Boris Johnson advised against non-essential travel and social contact, my parents decided to move down here for the foreseeable future. My mum has an underlying health condition so they said no one can out and I was forced to give up my work - I lost well over £1000 in income in a week.

When Boris Johnson brought in the proper lockdown on 23rd March, about half of my work was stopped but a lot of it is still going on and I am missing out on work every week because of it, and travel is allowed for work purposes if work can't be done from home. However, I can't do it because of my parents and I don't think I can really move out during the lockdown.

If Boris Johnson had implemented a STRICT lockdown on 16th March rather than advising people not to travel and then having a LAX lockdown a week later (with non-essential work that can't be done from home still allowed to continue), this issue wouldn't have arisen.

Because of the situation, I am naturally very upset at the loss of income and the risk of not getting my clients back. However, my parents just get angry whenever I bring it up and say that it's because of the coronavirus that I can't work, not because of them.

Would others be upset in my situation. I appreciate that lots of people have lost work but for the vast majority of people, either they are still working or their work has had to stop legally. I am in a different situation as I have stopped work which can still be done because of my parents.
Reply 1
If my parents were sympathetic of the fact that I am not working because of them, things might not be so bad but it beggars belief that they get angry with me when I try to talk about the situation!
Reply 2
Boris Johnson doesn’t come up with it all, he has multiple advisors who tell him what to do (scientists, economists etc).
They should have stayed at their normal residence. If you were normally living in what was their holiday home, you should have stayed there.
Reply 4
Original post by Apachecow
They should have stayed at their normal residence. If you were normally living in what was their holiday home, you should have stayed there.

Yes - they defend it by saying they came a week before the lockdown but it's hypocritical that they said that I must stop my work as Boris Johnson advised against "non-essential travel" when clearly it was non-essential for them to travel down here.
Reply 5
Original post by Em.-.
Boris Johnson doesn’t come up with it all, he has multiple advisors who tell him what to do (scientists, economists etc).

Well then why didn't they think of it?

There must be other households where some people were meant to be going out to work whilst others wouldn't be happy for this to happen. So surely it's best to go straight to the strictest possible lockdown, rather than forcing people like me to give up our work voluntarily?
Original post by Anonymous
Well then why didn't they think of it?

There must be other households where some people were meant to be going out to work whilst others wouldn't be happy for this to happen. So surely it's best to go straight to the strictest possible lockdown, rather than forcing people like me to give up our work voluntarily?

I imagine they did think of it, but they valued people's safety above people's income. Happened to an awful lot of people.
Where businesses have not been forced to shut down then they should continue. That was the government's intention. There is not enough money to support everyone. If anything the respectful thing would be for your parents to travel home and you go to work. I can't see anyone getting into trouble for that
Reply 8
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I imagine they did think of it, but they valued people's safety above people's income. Happened to an awful lot of people.

Well my point is if that is a case, why not just do a very strict lockdown on 16th March rather than just some advice and then a fairly lax lockdown a week later.

Where businesses have not been forced to shut down then they should continue. That was the government's intention. There is not enough money to support everyone. If anything the respectful thing would be for your parents to travel home and you go to work. I can't see anyone getting into trouble for that

Well my parents just get angry when I try to discuss it with them and they don't want to go back home as they live in London which is higher risk (although they don't go out at all anyway, not even to the shops as they get all the food delivered).

Would other people be annoyed with their parents in my situation?
Reply 9
The government advice in your situation is to still go to work, but social distance at home and be vigilant with hand washing and cleaning.
I know this because my partner is shielding, but I still have to go to work!
How old are you? In your position I think I would tell them than on a date you are going back to work and it's up to them whether they live with you or move back to their other perfectly good house. Monday 11th after the bank holiday and latest update on lockdown would be a fair time frame.

If you are an adult they cannot stop you making your own decision to go to work, when they have somewhere else to go.
Original post by Anonymous
Well my point is if that is a case, why not just do a very strict lockdown on 16th March rather than just some advice and then a fairly lax lockdown a week later.

Well my parents just get angry when I try to discuss it with them and they don't want to go back home as they live in London which is higher risk (although they don't go out at all anyway, not even to the shops as they get all the food delivered).

Would other people be annoyed with their parents in my situation?

Because they changed their approach
Original post by L-K
The government advice in your situation is to still go to work, but social distance at home and be vigilant with hand washing and cleaning.
I know this because my partner is shielding, but I still have to go to work!

Well what are you meant to do if your parents say that if you go out, you can't come back because of the risk of bringing back the virus, and it's not really possible to sort out my own place given the circumstances?
How old are you? In your position I think I would tell them than on a date you are going back to work and it's up to them whether they live with you or move back to their other perfectly good house. Monday 11th after the bank holiday and latest update on lockdown would be a fair time frame.

If you are an adult they cannot stop you making your own decision to go to work, when they have somewhere else to go.

I'm 25. And the problem is that as it's their house, I can't just force them to leave. To be fair to them, they did let me live in their house for free.

It's not clear whether or not it's possible for me to rent something myself given the conditions. The thing is, I'm not actually a key worker. Things are rather confused as it explicitly says on the government website that you can still travel for work purposes even if the work is non-essential if the work can't be done from home. But then lots of services (e.g. hotels that are still open and coronavirus tests) are only available for key workers. I really don't think that the government has handled things well.
If you cannot work from home and your business has not been specifically closed by the legislation - then you should continue to go to work. What do you do?

You are not forcing them to do anything, you are explaining your position as an adult who has a job and a need to make a living. It is then up to them what they decide to do.
If you cannot work from home and your business has not been specifically closed by the legislation - then you should continue to go to work. What do you do?

You are not forcing them to do anything, you are explaining your position as an adult who has a job and a need to make a living. It is then up to them what they decide to do.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a market researcher and actually most of my work is done from home but I have to go out to collect the data first.

The thing is, they say I don't need to do the work as I don't have living costs at the moment (which is frustrating as not working will affect my mortgage prospects and I'm trying to get my own place). They say if I do my work I would be putting the family at risk and potentially spread the virus around the general public and it would be immoral. I think that they're being very unfair given that my work is continuing though.

It's so frustrating that even if I do go back, I might not get back all of the work I had and also I've lost so many weeks of income now.
And my family might still be here after the lockdown ends with this problem continuing as there won't be no risk of catching the virus. But with the situation of me not being allowed back in the house if I leave, it's not easy to move out. 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending