The Student Room Group

Choosing alevels

For alevel I'm thinking of choosing psychology, criminology and law. Are these good alevels to go together and is it ok that I'm not doing any academic subjects like English or maths? Also is law extremely difficult? It seems really interesting but I don't want to overwhelm myself since I do have an illness that makes it harder to do as much as other people. Any replies would be helpful. :smile:
Original post by Emilymwas
For alevel I'm thinking of choosing psychology, criminology and law. Are these good alevels to go together and is it ok that I'm not doing any academic subjects like English or maths? Also is law extremely difficult? It seems really interesting but I don't want to overwhelm myself since I do have an illness that makes it harder to do as much as other people. Any replies would be helpful. :smile:

Those are good subjects.
What university degree are you interested in?
Your A-Levels are fine for a wide range of Essay based degrees in the social sciences. Also, they would be good for nursing, primary school teaching and social work.

A-Level law is challenging, there will be alot of terminology and case studies to learn. But, don't be daunted by the name, its still 'only' an A-level.
Reply 2
I think I want to do something like forensic psychology at university and thank you for the advice on law. I was a bit worried because some people online say it counts as a "soft" alevel subject so it wouldn't be as respected as other alevels which surprised me a lot.
I think those are really good subjects, I was going to choose similar to you but I thought that psychology and criminology are too similar subjects. So I was thinking of choosing English lit, law and psychology instead, but it all depends on what you want to do in the future.
Original post by Emilymwas
I think I want to do something like forensic psychology at university and thank you for the advice on law. I was a bit worried because some people online say it counts as a "soft" alevel subject so it wouldn't be as respected as other alevels which surprised me a lot.

They aren't a soft a level subject anymore and unis are neutral about it like any subject that's not required or recommended
Hi I need urgent help ASAP.My subs are economics and law and I have to choose between history or business.I’ll either be studying in the UK or US.Plus I’ll be doing anything in the future except engineering or medicine etc as u can see from my subs...so please help me out and like also a subject amongst those which universities prefer aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest